Thread: Ford 4G Alternator voltage

Ford 4G Alternator voltage

I've had a revelation today. I'm hoping someone can confirm it.

As I understand it..if the Ford 4G alternator has a white voltage regulator it will output 13.8 volts. If the alternator has a gray voltage regulator it will output 14.0 volts. If the alternator has a black voltage regulator it will output 14.4 volts.

I'm just speculating here from information I have gleaned off various internet advertisements for the 4G alternator. I'm NOT talking "current/amps" just volts.

Does anyone know if my speculations are correct?

2004 CV LX Sport

SCT X2, Blue Oval Tune (needs update), ADTR Plenum, 70mm Aviator TB, 80mm MAF, 3.73:1 Auburn Posi rear end, 18-inch Mustang GT Fan-blade wheels with BFG 255/45ZR18 tires, MM Instrumentation, rear spoiler, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Tinted Headlights, Focus Fog lights w/Marauder switch, Honeycomb grille. Next installs: Upgrade exhaust system, lowered 1".

Well I never checked the voltage coming from the voltage regulator, but what I can tell you is that the white one is for cars like the MM which uses the ecm to regulate voltage. The gray one is for cars like my Aero that does not use the ecm to regulate voltage. The black one I have no idea about.
    Have heard of people using the wrong one and burning stuff up.

Sorry that’s all I got
    Ex Panther Owner

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Well I never checked the voltage coming from the voltage regulator, but what I can tell you is that the white one is for cars like the MM which uses the ecm to regulate voltage. The gray one is for cars like my Aero that does not use the ecm to regulate voltage. The black one I have no idea about.
    Have heard of people using the wrong one and burning stuff up.

Sorry that’s all I got
    I have read the same as you stated. I have just replaced the white one in my alternator and it reads 13.8 volts on a multimeter. I thought something was wrong because it wasn't putting out 14.5 volts, but I guess that that is all this one does. Before I replaced the voltage regulator it was reading 13.4 at the battery with nothing turned on.

2004 CV LX Sport

SCT X2, Blue Oval Tune (needs update), ADTR Plenum, 70mm Aviator TB, 80mm MAF, 3.73:1 Auburn Posi rear end, 18-inch Mustang GT Fan-blade wheels with BFG 255/45ZR18 tires, MM Instrumentation, rear spoiler, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Tinted Headlights, Focus Fog lights w/Marauder switch, Honeycomb grille. Next installs: Upgrade exhaust system, lowered 1".

Thread Information