Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eaton Swap vs. Trilogy Price?

Seems to me all I've seen that's been "copied" between the Trilogy kit and the cobra blower swap, unless I'm mistaken, were the couple of brackets. In my opinion, you reach a point where an idea or the way to achieve something can only be done a handful of ways, if not only one, so at what point do you draw the line of crying plagiarism? If they were the first on the market, would that mean they are entitled to be the only one?

I can agree that you get what you pay for, but in a sense, I think a number of these cobra blower swap guys have already payed-in in a sense by getting educated on how to make that happen in the first place.

Personally, I'd probably go Trilogy because I don't have that knowledge and I'd want someone to go back to if it doesn't work, but I also find the $$$-tag VERY appealing for the swap from a Cobra.

No supercharger wars.

Let's just say that the Trilogy kit and the DIY Eaton each have advantages and if done properly both will be highly enjoyable.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

I posted a plain and simple question, no war, no insult(s)?
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    This thread is pointless the more I look at it.

I eaton swapped my car, used my Brain and not my checkbook to install it, and the first time to the track with it I ran 11.99 @ 115.

If you wanna compare apples to apples, my kit out of the 'many boxes' is faster...where as the Trilogy looks great
    Its not the kit that makes it the fastest but the tune and if the engine holds together.
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo-White
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo-Silver
    2011 Ford Fusion SE

Retired 2003 Mercury Marauder/Trilogy 054
    Retired 2004. 13.00 on Nitrous safely tuned by Alt Auto.

Quote Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
    Its not the kit that makes it the fastest but the tune and if the engine holds together.

No truer words said.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley G View Post
    I posted a plain and simple question, no war, no insult(s)?
    Yeah, but lots of pot stirring, Bradley.

Methinks it's time to take RF's advice and give this a rest.

2003 300B DBP
    Build date: 6/19/03
    Number 7,792 of 7,838 - 326 of 328
    Proud member of the MM "BLUES" Bros.
    Purchased: 11/10/05
    Eaton swap by ImpalaSlayer 11-09-10

Semper et in Aeternum, Mercurius.

In Memory:
    2004 DTR
    Build Date 01/27/04
    Purchased 04/04/04
    Wrecked 10/19/05, R.I.P.

Exclamation spooners beware

Just a different perspective here pal!
    Your interpretation must get lost/miscued over the cyberwaves.
    Hopefully some Eaton swappers will come clean on difficulties they have had going this route.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Cheesehead View Post
    Yeah, but lots of pot stirring, Bradley.

Methinks it's time to take RF's advice and give this a rest.

This thread is pointless the more I look at it. Funny how it becomes pointless at your say so Zack. Not trying to stir the pot. Just being very direct....

I eaton swapped my car, used my Brain and not my checkbook to install it, and the first time to the track with it I ran 11.99 @ 115. Not denying you have a fast Marauder, but did you copy Trilogy parts because you have the knowhow and the access to tools others do not? Its a fair question....... And this would in all fairness, be comparing "Apples to Apples"
    GAMike
    2003 Black on Charcoal 300A W/90K (RIP 7-17-08)
    5-9-09 Now Keeper of the Pristine and Ledgendary:
    Trilogy # 73 Known in Metro Atlanta as "The Banshee"
    Courtesy of Bigslim, and SidewaysCoupe
    All options that came on an 04 SB & a boatload of .......... Never mind... It would take too long.
    12.73 @ 107.9 & 1.79 60' at SSHS9

Quote Originally Posted by MrBluGruv View Post
    Seems to me all I've seen that's been "copied" between the Trilogy kit and the cobra blower swap, unless I'm mistaken, were the couple of brackets. In my opinion, you reach a point where an idea or the way to achieve something can only be done a handful of ways, if not only one, so at what point do you draw the line of crying plagiarism? If they were the first on the market, would that mean they are entitled to be the only one?
    exactly! only so many ways to do something. to my knowledge they arnt copyrighted so who cares. besides, eaton swap brackets will not work with a trilogy
    2010 fusion se

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley G View Post
    Just a different perspective here pal!
    Your interpretation must get lost/miscued over the cyberwaves.
    Hopefully some Eaton swappers will come clean on difficulties they have had going this route.
    Why is this even a concern to you, Bradley? I'm very aware that doing an Eaton swap is more difficult than an aftermarket bolt on S/C kit like a Triolgy. Anyone that's attempted an Eaton swap is aware of this, in fact, the challange of overcoming those problems is part of the fun!

What is your point in bringing this up?

It's very obvious that you look down on Eaton swaps, and just as you did over at MCM, it appears that you're trying to create an "Trilogy against Eaton" pissing match. Why?
    Last edited by SC Cheesehead; 08-23-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: spelling

2003 300B DBP
    Build date: 6/19/03
    Number 7,792 of 7,838 - 326 of 328
    Proud member of the MM "BLUES" Bros.
    Purchased: 11/10/05
    Eaton swap by ImpalaSlayer 11-09-10

Semper et in Aeternum, Mercurius.

In Memory:
    2004 DTR
    Build Date 01/27/04
    Purchased 04/04/04
    Wrecked 10/19/05, R.I.P.

It's very obvious that you look down on Eaton swaps, and just as you did over at MCM, it appears that you're trying to create an "Trilogy against Eaton" pissing match. Why?
    Because the MMN vs MCM pissing match hasn't been very active lately?
    '03 Marauder | '91 Country Squire | '18 Flex Ecoboost | '92 Shadow VT1100
    former Panthers: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '04 CVLX, '03 SAP P71, '10 P7B
    CLICK HERE and have your Marauder's COA info added to the database!!! | 2003 list ||| 2004 list
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Reinhart's tuning skills were comparable to an ape slapping the keyboard in microsoft excel.

when i first bought my car i didnt want a S/C and didnt know anything about them like most ppl. as i gather parts for the swap i get familiar with what each part does and how it works so the swap has more then 1 advantage. i hated the fact that i had to collect the parts myself but its really easy and adds a chase knowing that with each part your getting closer. not everyboady has deep pockets and for the trilogy. eaton swap is all ford parts with part numbers so what the big deal. ''built not bought'' FTW!
    392 Challenger YELLOW JACKET
    12.28@114 stock

Blog Entries
    Why is this even a concern to you, Bradley? I'm very aware that doing an Eaton swap is more difficult than an aftermarket bolt on S/C kit like a Triolgy. Anyone that's attempted an Eaton swap is aware of this, in fact, the challange of overcoming those problems is part of the fun!

When you pay too much for something, you pay for dissapointment?

I only posted that because I know Bradley is a stand up guy who can take a poke or two.
    Last edited by sailsmen; 08-23-2010 at 07:39 PM.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

To let members know that the parts that are required to do the swap, are not within the same tolerances or quality that will be with a Trilogy kit.
    Some may want this information brought to their attention before they attempt an Eaton swap.
    The last failure I encountered with my car, was due to ignoring an idler bearing noise for many months.
    Eventually the Alternator bracket(Trilogy part) was heavily damaged from the pulley breaking, which repeatedly banged into the alternator bracket.
    The new bracket that Jerry Barnes CEO Trilogy Motorsports sent me, was in fact a tiny bit different, than the one I removed.
    I assume that some changes do occur over the five + years and 65000 miles that I have had the Trilogy supercharger.
    This required me to get a belt of a different length.
    If the brackets are so easy to obtain/duplicate, why would another member contact me about purchacing a mangled bracket?

Quote Originally Posted by breeze View Post
    when i first bought my car i didnt want a S/C and didnt know anything about them like most ppl. as i gather parts for the swap i get familiar with what each part does and how it works so the swap has more then 1 advantage. i hated the fact that i had to collect the parts myself but its really easy and adds a chase knowing that with each part your getting closer. not everyboady has deep pockets and for the trilogy. eaton swap is all ford parts with part numbers so what the big deal. ''built not bought'' FTW!
    The fead system was solely developed by professionals on CAD by Trilogy, regardless of what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by sailsmen View Post
    When you pay too much for something, you pay for dissapointment?

I only posted that because I know Bradley is a stand up guy who can take a poke or two.
    I have experienced this many times in my travels.
    Thanks for the compliment, I've been known to be able to take a few.
    I don't mind landing a few myself too.

More to the point..... If you know someone that went to all this effort to develop parts that you are thinking of making copies of......... Call/PM em to discuss it first..... I know some don't get along with ea. other here...Thats not the point its about doing what is appropriate. That is the right way to handle a thing like this.

If the person that invested alot of time does not mind a part being copied, then go with God........ If you don't know the person obviously these rules would not apply.
    GAMike
    2003 Black on Charcoal 300A W/90K (RIP 7-17-08)
    5-9-09 Now Keeper of the Pristine and Ledgendary:
    Trilogy # 73 Known in Metro Atlanta as "The Banshee"
    Courtesy of Bigslim, and SidewaysCoupe
    All options that came on an 04 SB & a boatload of .......... Never mind... It would take too long.
    12.73 @ 107.9 & 1.79 60' at SSHS9

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information