Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clockspring question

Exclamation Clockspring question

Ready for the criticism....

Will a clockspring still work if the air bag has been deployed? Or if someone cut the air bag out?

Thanks!
    "Bye Bye, Johnny B. Goode."

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead350 View Post
    Ready for the criticism....

Will a clockspring still work if the air bag has been deployed? Or if someone cut the air bag out?

Thanks!
    Yes..............
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Thank you.

There are only 2 clock springs, one for a vehicle with no steering wheel controls and one for a vehicle with steering wheel controls. So if it has cruise control then it will work and retain your stereo controls.

However before you go swapping things out once again how about doing a proper diagnosis since the problem could be the horns, the relay, the fuse, the switch (air bag), or the wiring in addition to the clock spring. In fact it is unlikely that the horn wire was the only one to go bad in both your original and the replacement clock springs.

I took it to a dealer and they told me the clock spring.

My air bag light is on. All buttons work except the horn. Cruise control will sometimes work.

So it sounds like the air bag needs to be replaced?

I took it to a dealer and they told me the clock spring.

My air bag light is on. All buttons work except the horn. Cruise control will sometimes work.

So it sounds like the air bag needs to be replaced?
    Well the fact that the airbag light is on means that it could be the clock spring but it is not definite. What air bag code does it give?

Not sure. Should have asked. Tomorrow a local is allowing me to swap his air bag from his 2003 Grand Marquis to see if this v solves the problem. Others say it's my relay... even if it clicks.

New relay going in, air bag swap and not sure what else to try next. Unless a new clockspring is truly what it needs.

I would NOT use a clockspring from a deployed air bag car. The air bags pull a lot of juice to deploy and in some (but not all) the fine wires inside the clockspring get damaged. It may work when you put it in but it will most likely fail in a bit resulting in the same issue you may now have.

Quick test to isolate the clockspring out of the horn circuit is to locate a multiple connector next to the steering column down by the LCM. There is a dark blue wire in the connector. This is the horn trigger circuit INTO the clockspring. Take a probe a ground this wire. If the horn honks, good chance the clock spring or the actual horn switch on the front of the air bag is bad. The horn switch is under the outter cover of the actual air bag and is not servicable. The air bag must be replaced.

No horn sound when grounding the dark blue wire indicates power/relay issues before the clock spring.
    His: Blue w/Light Flint Born 02/05/03 (Wednesday)
    6674 of 7838, Color sequence 102 of 327

1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    6 CD Changer in Trunk
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Real Oil Press Guage w/MM Face
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

Nephews: Blue w/Light Flint
    Born 02/05/03
    6673 of 7838, 101 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    Cars purchased 7 years apart, but are only 20 VIN numbers apart. Sequential units on the assembly line.

Hers: Black 300A w/Charcoal Born 06/25/02 (Tuesday)
    2011 of 7838
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Real Oil Press Guage w/MM Face
    Factory Alarm
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

#4 (Pound Rescue Marauder) 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    120 of 328 DBP 1 of 217 with heated seats.
    6705 of 7838 2003's
    Built Friday 02-07-2003
    Bought 09-10-2012

#5 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    136 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 W/O Heated Seats
    6741 of 7838 2003's
    Built Tuesday 02-11-2003
    Bought 05-06-14

Not sure. Should have asked. Tomorrow a local is allowing me to swap his air bag from his 2003 Grand Marquis to see if this v solves the problem. Others say it's my relay... even if it clicks.

New relay going in, air bag swap and not sure what else to try next. Unless a new clockspring is truly what it needs.
    You do know that you have to disconnect the battery for at least 15 minutes before touching the airbag right? If not the airbag could activate.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Yes I know about the 15 minute rule. Thank you for looking out for my stupid self.

Another source thinks this is a relay. The relay clicks with the remote and this morning at 3am I noted it clicks when my lady is pushing the air bag.

I am guessing the air bag light and horn issue are separate issues. I will swap a relay and see what happens. I was also told even if it clicks, it could still be bad... we will see.

Not sure on the moody cruise control.

If the relay clicks when the horn button is pushed just like it does when you do the double lock with the remote then your clock spring and horn button in the air bag are good. Those portions of the circuit have enough conductivity to operate the relay and the problem lies elsewhere.

Note I did not say it was the relay just that that is the easiest place to start that is in the problem portion of the circuit. DO NOT waste your time messing with the airbag and clock spring anymore you have proven that part of the circuit to be working.

Quote Originally Posted by EMAS View Post
    If the relay clicks when the horn button is pushed just like it does when you do the double lock with the remote then your clock spring and horn button in the air bag are good. Those portions of the circuit have enough conductivity to operate the relay and the problem lies elsewhere.

Note I did not say it was the relay just that that is the easiest place to start that is in the problem portion of the circuit. DO NOT waste your time messing with the airbag and clock spring anymore you have proven that part of the circuit to be working.
    Ok all of this checked out fine. My only guess is a bad ground. The horn button and remote button work. I swapped relays for a quick check... nothing. Swapped the lcm relay. Nada. Yet still clicked.

I hunted for a bad wire, but could not find anything.

Ready to give up.

I HAVE FIXED MISFIRES EASIER THAN THIS.

Ok all of this checked out fine. My only guess is a bad ground. The horn button and remote button work. I swapped relays for a quick check... nothing. Swapped the lcm relay. Nada. Yet still clicked.

I hunted for a bad wire, but could not find anything.

Ready to give up.

I HAVE FIXED MISFIRES EASIER THAN THIS.
    See my post in your other thread.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Forgive a senile old man if this has already been covered, but has anyone checked to see if 12V is actually being delivered to the horn when the button is pushed? Maybe the horn is bad?
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    Forgive a senile old man if this has already been covered, but has anyone checked to see if 12V is actually being delivered to the horn when the button is pushed? Maybe the horn is bad?
    Horn itself is good. I went to a dealer, they hooked it up manually and it's blew. I need to figure out why it's not getting power.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information