Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any anti-theft ideas?

Any anti-theft ideas?

Alrighty, the whole "#8" thing has me thinking... (even if it is a statistical anamoly) I'd like to make my MM a little less inviting to the average scumbag theif.

While a realize not much will stop a rollback from taking it away, what are your favorite anti-theft ideas?

Thanks... I'm sure we'll all benefit!
    Trilogy #146!!! Self-Installed with a little help!

Kelsey Guest
    Maybe when you leave the car unattended, you can put up a "Beware of Dog" sign in the window?

Seriously though, if someone wants your car, they're going to take it. The best thing you can do though is put enough things on it to slow them down, such as a club or wheel lock. A thief doesn't want to spend a lot of time on a car unless it's really really valuable. They want to be quick and unseen.
    One thing I'd like to do with my '03 is upgrade the alarm on it so I can have my system page me if something is being tampered with or worse is being broken into.

I used to have a '96 Thunderbird and I had some pretty nifty anti-theft devices on it.
    Had the club of course, but that's not too hard for a thief to bypass. But then there was my Clifford security system - once armed, disables the starter. A thief can bypass this too if they knew what they were doing.
    The last two I had were what I thought was real effective. One was I had my car towed awhile back because it wouldn't start - later I found out it was because there was a fuse blown out under the hood in a discrete place. Replaced it and it ran like a champ. So if I was concerned with where my car was parked, I'd take that fuse out.
    Last but not least, my shifter button. One day my shifter button popped out, but it still worked when I put it in but on occasion it would pop out. If I was concerned with where my car was, not only would I put the club on and arm the Clifford system, I'd take the fuse out and the shifter button with me.
    It felt pretty good to feel confident that my car was pretty close to being unstealable.

Anyway, good luck with your security. Looks like my '03 will just be a weekend car now after seeing "the list".

Search around... this was a pretty big topic awhile back. My favorite was the real time satilight tracking system via the internet. I think it was called Uni-track??

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

I don't think there is any affordable satellite tracking system out there.

Between the unit cost and the monthly fees.

"Trunk Monkey"?
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

GAP and full coverage insurance.

Welcome to the DARKSIDE...

2003 Black Mercury Marauder

Black and Chrome RPM 505 wheels staggered 18x8 and 18x9, Custom tune by ELD Performance, JLT cold air intake, FRPP 4:10 gears, PI 3000 Stall Torque converter, PHP intake spacer, Stainless Works Complete Exhaust, Eibach Pro Springs, Steeda underdrive pulleys, Custom Painted Black factory spoiler, 15% Tint front and rear , Kenwood Excelon 6x8 Front and 6x9 rear Speakers, Pioneer 600w 4 channel amp, Zack and Mack Control arms, Addco Front and Rear Sway bars

Best run: 13.75 @ 99.6 sec on 4 May 07

I remember the fuse discussion but can't find it. Anyone?

The fuse idea seems like the best one, and from now on I'll be doing that when I take it to unprotected places for any length of time.

Anyone got a picture of this or a short how-to?

-A
    Self-importance is our greatest enemy. Think about it - what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellowmen. Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone. -- Carlos Castaneda

I hear that locking lug nuts will at least slow a wheel thief down a bit.

I think the bad paint is a security device... forces thieves to paint the cars green.

Which Fuse, and where is it?

Kelsey Guest
    I will have to look now when I get home.
    All I remember is when I tried turning the ignition, only accessories would turn on but the engine wouldn't turn. Not even once. I seriously thought I had no engine in my car.
    It's like the fuse acts as a current from the ignition to the spark plugs.

You can always just install a toggle switch in the harness to the fuel cutoff switch in the trunk. It disables the fuel pump from running.

Quote Originally Posted by KilledKenny
    You can always just install a toggle switch in the harness to the fuel cutoff switch in the trunk. It disables the fuel pump from running.
    Or better yet,place the switch in the gas cap area, under the lid

Or better yet Click here

This wireless 12 volt unit should do the trick.
    Last edited by merc; 07-20-2005 at 07:29 PM.

James Brown #140 "Say It Loud" Except in Bristol
    Merc's Garage
    MagnaFuel ProTuner Series 750 MP-1403
    Stainless Steel Works full exhaust
    SCT Advantage III Ford Pro Racer Software
    600.59 rwhp 559.91 Torque @ 20 lbs Boost
    2.3 Whipple Intercooled Supercharger
    BC Automotive Stage4 transmission
    03 Terminator built by Chris Vining

I bought a celluar tracker for mine. I have way to much invested to lose it (theMM). Even if it goes on a rollback it will come back, they say in an hour. I know its always on and there are no extra steps to take up time getting in and out of the car in a dodgy neighbourhood.
    Wes
    Blue 300B Marauder

Anti theft

I immediately slapped a George Bush bumper sticker on my new 04 MM in 8-04. That's prevented a few people from getting into my car!
    "No one is useless if they can still be used as a bad example." ~ SSgt. Miller.

"Loud pipes lose rights."

It's just a car to me.

IMHO, you're not going to defeat the dedicated thief, but you can stall the joy riders. Probably the best path to pursue is some form of electrical disconnect you can employ without showing observers that you are doing anything special besides locking the doors and walking away.

Pro auto thieves pay birddog fees to look-outs, who keep lists of what is where, when. Just watch "Gone in 60 Seconds" one more time? BTW, I have nothing special on my MM, other than the Viper alarm that came with it, and I continue to use it only for door/trunk control. I like it's features, and I'll buy a Viper again, just for those features. Screw the alarm, hell my PATS doesn't even work.

Again, IMHO, should someone boost my #1x, I'd probably delay calling the police for while, at least long enough to let the thieves get it back to the garage. If the flash goes out too soon, and a chase ensues, someone would get killed and I don't want that to happen, to the cop or the thief. I've seen kids get killed, and I've witnessed the devastation to the officer who was chasing him. I've seen cops get killed, and the kids walk away. None of this is pretty. If my MM does get stolen, I hope they keep it hidded for over 30 days, and I'll collect the insurance money and go start another Marauder project. It's just a freaking car, and no one needs to get hurt over it. Take it, break it up, make some money, and destroy the rest, RIP.

This is what insurance is for, please take the time to properly document your mods, ( pics and papers) and keep your scrap book up to date. I have a rider for replacement costs, it's 15 bucks a year. I may get only 80 percent, but it does add up.

The best protection you can have, is the ability to recover from the loss and get back to life.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information