Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiny Girlie Mercurys?

Wink Tiny Girlie Mercurys?

Check this out, not only does Ford want to downsize everything, but they consider Mercury their female brand appeal division.

Am I having an identity crisis?

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...373/1148/rss25
    Last edited by Bobby Clobber; 01-05-2006 at 06:41 AM.
    MM03 , black (Is there any other color?)
    Trilogy # 120
    Zainoed
    JLT CAI

Mercury -- the Man's Car!

It is particularly sad when you consider that in the 1960s, Mercury advertising featured this tag line:

Mercury ... the man's car.

You can still find these advertisements on ebay as a reminder of a different time. My belief is that the forced feminization of the Mercury brand will continue for the next several years at least.
    Yours truly,
    Meteorite - Royal Oak, Michigan

2003 300A - Black VIN = xxxxxxxxxxx600051 *** Build Date = 3/13/2002
    Best e.t. -- 12.31 @ 111.5 mph *** Now with: Trilogy #220, Alternative Auto Performance Tune + 4.10 Gears +SW headers + Metco control arms + Addco front and rear sta-bars + Dynotech Metal Matrix Driveshaft + Weldcraft widened wheels & MT drag radials.

2003 300B - Blue

And now ... 2003 Black (Trilogy #58)

1962 Mercury Meteor & 1963 Mercury Meteor

(in swartzys voice)Come on you lil girly man(end) Most of the mercury sable owners I knew were female. Last I checked mercury didn't make ladys mustangs!

2005 Satin White Pearl Legacy GT
    *Stage 2.5* 13.5 @ 96 MPH
    2003 Black 300A <---Click for pics.
    *Totaled *

Worse Things Have Happened

But that gal in the Mercury Ad's can park her car in my garage any time!

J
    Alex, you'll always be with us!
    '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport 230A
    Bone Stock (Really, would I lie?)
    I couldn't see destroying a Marauder as my daily driver!
    '03 Marauder 300B as in blue
    DOB 5/12/03 - adopted12/01/06
    1 of 328
    SS Inserts

Mmmm ... Jill Wagner.

Err ... not that I've been paying attention or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by JMan

J
    Yours truly,

Best e.t. -- 12.31 @ 111.5 mph *** Now with: Trilogy #220, Alternative Auto Performance Tune + 4.10 Gears +SW headers + Metco control arms + Addco front and rear sta-bars + Dynotech Metal Matrix Driveshaft + Weldcraft widened wheels & MT drag radials.

2003 300B - Blue

Perhaps you're reading to much into it

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit News
    Mercury brings more female customers to Ford, while Fields' team fixed on a new vision for Lincoln in domestic luxury.
    That's not exactly what they implied. ... Just that as a brand, Ford seems not to attract women. (Of course, they haven't exactly been trying ... since they only want to sell F150 trucks and their Aerostar van platform is so old it's practically a dinosaur.)

They have a long-way to go to rehabilitate their various brands' images. I certainly don't think of Lincoln when I want luxury, nor any other domestic brand outside of maybe Cadillac. I'm probably twice as likely to know at least the various makes of cars by the japanese automakers as I am to know any of the "current" or new GM, Ford, Chrysler automobiles. (That's pretty sad, considering I've never owned anything but Ford or Chrysler cars.)
    '03 Marauder bone stock
    Build No. 612,178 at St. Thomas plant
    -Tenn. Custom plate: MARAUDR
    - Bob White decals (chrome reflective)
    - Mac 'n Marty "Retro" Fender Badges
    - Autographed by Steve Babcock, Marauder Program Manager 09/20/2003 at First Marauder Meet, Ennis, Texas
    -2XL leather jacket

Aerostar?

That's going back quite a way.

There was Windstar, and now a totally redesigned vehicle, Freestar ... though it doesn't look like it, and even the name is too close!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad1
    (Of course, they haven't exactly been trying ... since they only want to sell F150 trucks and their Aerostar van platform is so old it's practically a dinosaur.)
    Yours truly,

2003 300B - Blue

In my opinion...I think there are enough "identity crises" in all of the manufacturers to go around...

If you would've told me 10 years ago that the only performance car coming out of GM was going to be a Cadillac...I would've called you crazy. (You can't count Corvette, 'cause it's virtually a separate company)

AND...that Honda would have a full size truck out? Man o' Man.

Yes, but ...

You are correct that from this article, it would be reading too much into it to conclude that Mercury is moving towards marketing mostly to women. However, check out this article, which makes it much more explicit:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2005511170519

That's not exactly what they implied. ... Just that as a brand, Ford seems not to attract women.
    Yours truly,

2003 300B - Blue

I'd rather PARK my CAR in her GARAGE instead.

J
    '04 MARAUDER
    Born on 4/20/04 -- Foster Care on 5/11/04 -- Adopted on 01/27/05
    Heated Seats 6 Disc CD Changer Moonroof
    JLT CAI--Silverstars Heads/Fogs--SCT-9100
    SB IX - SB X - SB XIII - SB XIV - SB XL - SB XLIII
    Trilogy S/C In Due Time

Good lord ....

I think the Freep article illustrates my point exactly. They don't know what kind of marketing they have or need ... they sound desperate instead to sell something to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Free Press
    Mercury marketing manager Kim Irwin was uneasy with suggestions that the brand is making a play primarily for women, noting how the brand also sponsors ads in manly magazines such as GQ, Maxim and Stuff. And it's not like Mercury is shamelessly draping itself in a swath of pink.

AND ...

Over the past year, as Mercury has launched its Mariner, Montego full-size sedan and Milan midsize sedan, the brand's marketing mantra has become "film and fashion" and it has been strengthening its marketing to sophisticated young consumers -- ones that arguably lean female.

AND ...

Mercury commissioned an online serial movie, "Meet the Lucky Ones," about the often-comic misadventures of a quirky dysfunctional family. The brand also backed a series of short flicks out of a Glamour magazine "Reel Moments" contest. In September, Mercury presented one of those films, "Wait," in 25 theaters. The 10-minute flick was about one woman's journey of self-discovery and a bittersweet possibility of reunion with "the man that got away." It premiered before New Line Cinema's "Domino," a dramatization of the life of female-model-turned-bounty-hunter Domino Harvey.
    Does any of that gimmickry make you want to run out and buy a new "Mercury" product? Not me. Especially, the dealership's use of the fired Detroit Lion's coach to try to promote their vehicles. (Perhaps they could get someone from a winning NFL team to associate with their business, eh?)

Ok. So, you just confirmed my supposition about Ford's minivan line ... I'm like 2 generations off from the "Freestar," but whose fault is that? Not mine, I think. If they made cars or vans that people wanted to have, then people might remember them, no?

Jeremy
    Mad1
    Last edited by Mad1; 01-05-2006 at 09:34 AM.
    '03 Marauder bone stock
    Build No. 612,178 at St. Thomas plant
    -Tenn. Custom plate: MARAUDR
    - Bob White decals (chrome reflective)
    - Mac 'n Marty "Retro" Fender Badges
    - Autographed by Steve Babcock, Marauder Program Manager 09/20/2003 at First Marauder Meet, Ennis, Texas
    -2XL leather jacket

I think the Freep article illustrates my point exactly. They don't know what kind of marketing they have or need ... they sound desperate instead to sell something to anyone.

Does any of that gimmickry make you want to run out and buy a new "Mercury" product? Not me. Especially, the dealership's use of the fired Detroit Lion's coach to try to promote their vehicles. (Perhaps they could get someone from a winning NFL team to associate with their business, eh?)

Ok. So, you just confirmed my supposition about Ford's minivan line ... I'm like 2 generations off from the "Freestar," but whose fault is that? Not mine, I think. If they made cars or vans that people wanted to have, then people might remember them, no?

Jeremy
    Mad1
    The only Mercury I would buy right now is the Milan. Classier & better looking(IMO) than the Fusion, plus cheaper than the Zephyr.

As far as the Freestar goes, it's the same Windstar, just a new name to go along w/ Ford's F-naming of vehilces ,ala the SUV's.
    '04 MARAUDER
    Trilogy S/C In Due Time

J
    Why doe SHE have the car, and you the GARAGE? Maybe I'm thinking too far into this...

Isn't Mercury still run by a woman? If so, why should this surprise you. At least she did not come out with a pink MM to rival a pink caddy.

Mercury needs a little testosterone injection

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

They did have some but a woman castrated it in '04.
    Quote Originally Posted by DEFYANT
    Isn't Mercury still run by a woman? If so, why should this surprise you. At least she did not come out with a pink MM to rival a pink caddy.

Mercury needs a little testosterone injection
    '04 MARAUDER
    Trilogy S/C In Due Time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information