Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this Merc responsible for the 03 Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by crownvic97 View Post
    Trust me, they exist...they rot to pieces just like any other Panther when not cared for.
    Yup. Mine was a rust bucket. When I sold it it had a fender and 3 doors from P71 and both rockers redone.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthShoreChiMM View Post
    Trust me they rust. The only rust on my car is the bottom of the rear doors on the inside. And the door sills. Going to have to replace it all one day.
    Why do they rust on the inside bottom of the rear doors? Is it a plugged up drainage hole or something like that? Thanks.

BW
    Rust Never Sleeps

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    It might have if Eleanor Ford would not have listened to some large ford or lincoln dealers in TX that told her they should be charging $5k more for the car, so she did. The target price was to be $30,995. That's the short story of it as told by Steve Babcock at MV Cleveland.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^Yep And we --well a lot of us have that higher MSRP sticker to prove it showing that extra $5K^^^

And as we know the Blackhawk was dropped and those initial Marauder specs were changed to what we all know today---
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

Street Stalker was aftermarket mod. Says so right on the ad. Like the KB Panther mod.

1 of 170 '04 SB w/sunroof, light flint int.

MOD HISTORY:
    -Lidio's Xcal2 flash, JLT CAI
    -Trilogized June/08 (mostly installed by RC_Signals)
    13.2@103 on stock (balding) tires.
    -Added: SW Long tube Headers + High Flow Cats
    -New BFGs (Best Baby Shower gift EVER!)
    12.81@107.78 Oct 02/09
    -Ventilated Block Mod
    Out of commission
    -Rebuilt with:
    Teksid block/ForgedInternals/Melling oil pump/Canton windage tray/Rebuilt heads with SVT Cobra cams/Cloyes gears/ SVT Lightning MAF/Accufab TB/ MuscleMerc rear head cooling kit/ Steigy lightly ported and polished Eaton 112-
    -Widened rims
    XCal 4 Remote-tuned to PERFECTION by Jeff @ MartyO June/19

Quote Originally Posted by sailsmen View Post
    Mercury's Customer were dying so the Marauder was to get younger traffic into the show rooms.
    Quote Originally Posted by crownvic97 View Post
    That worked out well.
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    It might have if Eleanor Ford would not have listened to some large ford or lincoln dealers in TX that told her they should be charging $5k more for the car, so she did. The target price was to be $30,995. That's the short story of it as told by Steve Babcock at MV Cleveland.
    Yep....good old Eleanor Ford!

She was sure that those Mariners and jelly bean Cougars were the way to go for Mercury...no muscle, no style needed for a brand.

Basically put a bullet in the Godshead...
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    Not saying your car didn't attract some attention, but Steve Babcock (Program Manager for the Marauder) has told us at a number of Maraudervilles that the major inspiration was the the '94-'96 Impala SS. It was originally going to be a Crown Vic BlackHawk but was given to Mercury for reasons I can't remember now.
    Quote Originally Posted by kirk View Post
    Ford already had enough variations of the Vic so Steve went to Mercury.
    Ford wanted the Blackhawk and Mercury wanted the Marauder. Ultimately the final decision was made by Bill Ford after hearing arguments from both parties.

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    I wasn't aware the Marauder was ever proposed to have the 5.4.
    Steve wanted the 5.0l pushrod first then after that idea was scuttled by Team Modular the 5.4l was next up. It wouldn't fit with out massaging the engine compartment of which he didn't have the budget for.

Does someone have an answer for post 17?

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Quicksilver View Post
    Why do they rust on the inside bottom of the rear doors? Is it a plugged up drainage hole or something like that? Thanks.

BW
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 Quicksilver View Post
    Does someone have an answer for post 17?
    You answered your own question. IIR there are two weep holes with plastic doors on the inside bottom edge that need to be kept clean and working. Front doors too I believe.

too bad the 5.4 didn't make it to production, would had been titties

I could see some modified lightning/harley blowers making their way

The blue car i pictured front frame passenger side wasthe first to rust. Had to replace the front torq box and later the frame rail on that side from front box to rear. main cause was the battery leaking acid over time. These days i often mix water and some baking soda remove battery and pour and or spray it around the battery location and into the frame.
    Just did it to a Zephyr Z7 i am doing some restoration on. Neutralized a lot of acid.

[QUOTE=tutbo2256b;1560797]The blue car i pictured front frame passenger side wasthe first to rust. Had to replace the front torq box and later the frame rail on that side from front box to rear. main cause was the battery leaking acid over time. These days i often mix water and some baking soda remove battery and pour and or spray it around the battery location and into the frame.
    Just did it to a Zephyr Z7 i am doing some restoration on. Neutralized a lot of acid.[/QUOT]

The box era and aero era cars ,I believe, had poor placement of the a/c drain and drained pretty into the frame rail causing that right side area to rot from inside out
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Mercury Marauder Introduction - Hot Rod Nov 1, 2001

The Hot Rod article from November 1, 2001 had a lot of information for the upcoming Mercury Marauder, such as the reasons why the 5.4L engine or the Eaton-blown supercharger on the 4.6L weren't used. https://www.hotrod.com/articles/4743...cury-marauder/

Some of the more fascinating plans were the 2006 facelift and the X-100 "feature car" for later in '03 with headers, an X-pipe exhaust, Baer brakes, Edelbrock valve covers, and 19-inch wheels. All of this was based on a business case of selling 15,000 Marauders per year. We all know how that turned out. Interestingly, if the Marauder was considered rare at 15,000 units per year, it shows just how rare it really is with only 11,000 produced over its two year life span.

Also, to appreciate just how much the Marauder was valued at the time, its picture was located next to the Ford GT on the folder for the Ford 100th Anniversary Commemorative coin. I won this coin from Autoline Detroit and cherish it very much. There is one available on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-100TH-...-/392088822136

[QUOTE=RubberCtyRauder;1560799]
    Quote Originally Posted by tutbo2256b View Post
    The blue car i pictured front frame passenger side wasthe first to rust. Had to replace the front torq box and later the frame rail on that side from front box to rear. main cause was the battery leaking acid over time. These days i often mix water and some baking soda remove battery and pour and or spray it around the battery location and into the frame.
    Just did it to a Zephyr Z7 i am doing some restoration on. Neutralized a lot of acid.[/QUOT]

The box era and aero era cars ,I believe, had poor placement of the a/c drain and drained pretty into the frame rail causing that right side area to rot from inside out
    That’s what did in my 97’s frame sadly.

Garage Kept + No snow + No Rain from factory and your almost guaranteed no rust for life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information