Thread: Any Interest in Front Tubular Control Arms?

Any Interest in Front Tubular Control Arms?

Would anyone have interest in front tubular control arms? As expensive as the stock units are becoming I was thinking that tubular might be an alternative and a person could actually rebuild them rather than just replace the whole arm.

So my interest is not for a CV, MM, GM, or LTC application but rather a CV IFS swap into my '70 F100. I would rather put tubular control arms in it than the stock stuff.

Fatman Fabrications is making the CV front control arms but they are shortened for use on the CV style IFS swap into the F100's (http://www.fatmanfab.com/press-relea...r-control-arms). The reason they are shorting them is with the stock geometry arms you have to get wheels with some serious negative offset to get a decent amount of tire under the fenders. There are a lot of wheels out there that can tuck as much as a 295 width tire under the fenders of an F100 so that is what most of us have done. With that being said those that have already bought wheels do not want to buy these control arms and then have to buy another set of front wheels. I emailed Fatman and they have no intention of making a stock geometry control arm so my thought was maybe a vendor on here would be interested (CHE for example) being you guys are pretty much performance oriented and have done some pretty damn cool stuff.

Anyhow, between this site and the couple of CV sites and all of the CV typed IFS swaps that have been done on the F100's (several of those sites as well) I would think that stock geometry control arms would sell. Anyone every looked into this or have an opinion other than a go F yourself?

My only question is what the benefit would be? The rear control arms were flimsy and the tubular Zack & Mac arms, or the CHE/Metco bar stock chunks were far more rigid, thus improving the handling. Are the fronts also flimsy and would benefit from more rigidity?
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

I would think it would be the same as my Mustang, weight, stiffness, and tire clearance. Another possibility would be to run Shockwaves but you guys may already be able to do that. The tubular arms on my Coupe allow for wider wheels with respect to the lock to lock on the rack and pinion. Typically the aftermarket control arms have better bushings and they are serviceable. I have a lot more confidence in them road racing as well.

Don’t get me wrong this would not be for everyone but for those that want these benefits or others that you guys may know of that are MM / CV specific it would be worth it. Again, was just throwing this out there.
    Last edited by Aerocoupe; 07-26-2018 at 12:08 PM.

If they made it in the stock track width and they accept polyurethane or Delrin bushings, They would be awesome for the guys who want to go full air ride.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox (sold)
    2004 DTR - shitbox #2

That is the kind of info I am looking for in that there is a benefit other than the "man those look cool" as that does not sell very many parts.

The problem is you would still need to use the factory lower rear control arm bushing. Unless one is made, It will get torn up.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox (sold)
    2004 DTR - shitbox #2

That is true but if they can make the LCA front bushing then I would think the rear would be something they can make as well. When I say “they” my guess it will be Energy Suspension or Prothane (think they are the same company anyhow). Seems one of them made the bushings for my Maximum Motorsports suspension parts for my Mustang but I have no proof. Anyhow that would be up to the control arm fabricator.

So I emailed Fat Man Fabrications and got a no go on standard length control arms which I already stated. I also emailed Global West and CHE. Nothing from Global West but not a shocker. I did get this from CHE:

Original Message
    To: <
    info@cheperformance.com>
    Sent: 7/26/2018 9:40 AM
    Subject: Crown Victoria Control Arms

Is there any chance that your company would be interested in fabricating tubular control arms for the front of the 2003-2011 Crown Victoria? They would also fit the Mercury Grand Marquis & 03-04 Mercury Marauder as well as the Lincoln 03-11 Lincoln Town Car. There are a few sited dedicated to these cars (https://www.crownvic.net/; http://www.pantherbb.com/; https://www.mercurymarauder.net/; http://www.lincolnsonline.com/; https://lincolnforums.com) as well as the prolific use of their IFS on the F100 pickups (50's through 70's) which can be seen on several sites but I frequent www.fordification.com as I have a '70 F100 that I an doing this conversion on. Fatman Fabrications is making them in a narrowed application with a lowering option but has zero plans to make factory geometry tubular control arms. This is based on emails I have from them with me inquiring this same thing. What I do not understand is that there have been hundreds of these conversions already done and folks already have wheels with the offset to work with the stock geometry arms so if they want tubular (some guys are putting these trucks on tracks) then they would have to buy Fatman's as well as two new rims. Anyhow, take a look and see what you think as I am pretty sure the guys over on the Marauder site and CrownVic.net would buy some as they are putting LS and Coyote motors with forced induction in their cars so they appreciate quality parts.

Darren

On Aug 9, 2018, at 8:27 AM, CHE Performance <info@cheperformance.com> wrote:

Darren,
    Interested. Would take a fair amount of development time.

Chuck Dworek
    CHE Performance, LLC
    www.cheperformance.com

Original Message
    To: CHE Performance <
    info@cheperformance.com>
    Sent: 8/9/2018 12:35PM
    Subject: Re: Crown Victoria Control Arms

What would you need or what can I do to help this move forward?

Darren

On Aug 10, 2018, at 10:25 AM, CHE Performance <info@cheperformance.com> wrote:

Darren,
    I have access to a Crown Vic, so I don't think I'll need anything from you just yet.

Chuck Dworek
    CHE Performance, LLC
    www.cheperformance.com

Original Message
    To: CHE Performance <
    info@cheperformance.com>
    Sent: 8/10/2018 1:24 PM
    Subject: Re: Crown Victoria Control Arms

I did have one other suggestion that was brought to my attention by one of the guys that voiced interest in these. He mentioned that the rear bushing on the LCA would also need to be made in urethane and/or delrin. The LCA's on the CV's are different than what I am used to in that the rear bushing is not part of the LCA but rather bolts to the frame of the car. Hopefully this can happen as I don't know how having a front bushing made of a different material than the rear bushing would work. I do not think a delrin bushing option is something that has to happen but there are a few guys that like it because of running an air ride suspension. Not sure what the benefits are as I have never run that type of suspension.

Darren

So with that I would think that emails to Chuck form folks here on the forum should be encouraged. As soon as crownvic.net gets their forum fixed I will post all of this over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerocoupe View Post
    As soon as crownvic.net gets their forum fixed I will post all of this over there.[/COLOR]
    Don't hold your breath. It's been over 2 months now and the owners haven't done squat to fix it.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

The owners of the site or where it’s hosted? If it’s the host then they could just move it but if it’s the owners and a software issue then holding my breath would be futile.

08/19/2018 - There is an update over on crownvic.net. Looks like a small amount of progress and my guess is the platform the site is on was updated and the software engineers did not do their due diligence and F bombed it all up. Looks like manual fixes for each site...what a cluster F.
    Last edited by Aerocoupe; 08-19-2018 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Update on www.crownvic.net

Already in the works, I'll keep y'all updated as progress is being made
    FRPP dealer owner of SpartaPerformance.com
    We are an authorized independent AMSOIL dealer.

Good deal! Looks like we will have a couple of vendors. Sounds like you guys will hit the market first though.

So Outcast Autoworks is making the UCA and the upper frame mount however the upper frame mount is modified for F100 installations. They do say that the UCA works on Crown Vics.

https://www.outcastautoworks.com/col...spension-parts

Those look pretty stout!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Thread Information