Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KYB/Eaton vs Naake coilover kit

Quote Originally Posted by Dobs View Post
    I just ordered 4 KYB gas-a-just with bushings and 2 Eaton coils with 1 1/2 drop for the front. I was very hesitant between the Naake coilover kit they offer for our car.

I made my choice but i'm still not convinced that i made the good choice... lol
    Car looks good. I seem to remember some time ago a member did what you did and went back to the stock front shock with the Eaton spring. Might of just been his preference for the "seat of the pants" feel, can't remember.

Please keep us posted on how you like the ride and any issues you may encounter.

Before:

After:

I adjusted the rear a tad lower because im pretty sure the front will get down a bit in the next days
    Are those replica wheels or straight off the Stang? Any specs?
    2003 Marauder For Sale Here:
    http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=91045

2008 NISMO 350z

Quote Originally Posted by Spectragod View Post
    I don't know what mods you have done to your car, but my experience is that most of the mods, had to be custom fit, and, they were all spendy to begin with.

In a perfect world, the parts would fit and work 100% of the time, unfortunately, this is not a perfect world. Even my Wilwood brake kit required attention to make it to be what I expected, it is a great kit, but it is the starting point, and on the rear, if you don't have the ability or funds to machine parts, then you will be complaining about it as well, as it requires modifications to work 100%.

As far as I am concerned, pretty much every part I bought needed something extra to make it "just right".
    So you're saying $900 is a good price for four adjustable shocks that need to have all of the mounting bushings refabricated because the ones supplied w/the kit don't fit/work and the springs supplied for the front don't work is ok?
    Naake advertises the shocks as direct bolt in units - they aren't.

I know all about the rear Wilwood kit that Todd offers. I spoke w/Todd on the phone for almost two hours about the end play in the rear diff and how to try and eliminate it BEFORE he offered the kit for sale - at least he states in his literature that there is work needed to make it work.
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnitMarauder View Post
    Are those replica wheels or straight off the Stang? Any specs?
    Genuine Ford SVT GT500 2010 forged 19" x 9.5 with +45 offset, they are mounted with the same GT500 tires size (255/40 front and 285/35 rear)
    > have you hugged your Marauder today <

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
    Car looks good. I seem to remember some time ago a member did what you did and went back to the stock front shock with the Eaton spring. Might of just been his preference for the "seat of the pants" feel, can't remember.

Please keep us posted on how you like the ride and any issues you may encounter.
    The car handling is 200% better with the KYB/Eaton combo and on my side this is exactly what i was looking for so no way i will go back to stock shock, but its much more harder, if you like soft ride dont get the KYB.

No issue, everything is top quality parts that fits bolt-on. Im very happy with the results (handling and looking).

Quote Originally Posted by Krytin View Post
    So you're saying $900 is a good price for four adjustable shocks that need to have all of the mounting bushings refabricated because the ones supplied w/the kit don't fit/work and the springs supplied for the front don't work is ok?
    Naake advertises the shocks as direct bolt in units - they aren't.

I know all about the rear Wilwood kit that Todd offers. I spoke w/Todd on the phone for almost two hours about the end play in the rear diff and how to try and eliminate it BEFORE he offered the kit for sale - at least he states in his literature that there is work needed to make it work.
    I approached every part I used as something that would potentially need modified to work correctly, I was not let down. If I didn't have access to a CNC machine, lathes, etc., it would be a problem, it's not a big deal to me.

Todd does state that in his literature, I eliminated my end play differently than what he had suggested.

SW headers supposedly bolt right on too. As was my trans cooler, my heat exchanger, etc. My catch cans were my own doing, as no one made what I specifically wanted.

The bottom line, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

At this point, $900 for a set of shocks kinda seems like a deal, based on what I have spent on parts. I'll keep using what I have, if it breaks, I'll figure my next plan of action then.
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

The car handling is 200% better with the KYB/Eaton combo and on my side this is exactly what i was looking for so no way i will go back to stock shock, but its much more harder, if you like soft ride dont get the KYB.

No issue, everything is top quality parts that fits bolt-on. Im very happy with the results (handling and looking).
    Do you have a part number for the springs? I tried looking on their website and only found Crown Vic and Marquis springs
    2003 300A #5377 130,XXX Miles

Drilled and slotted rotors from Ebay
    JLT
    Stainless Works Long Tube Headers and 3" catback.
    Mo's Tune

Quote Originally Posted by License2Bill View Post
    Do you have a part number for the springs? I tried looking on their website and only found Crown Vic and Marquis springs
    MC5412 (stock replacement)
    MC5412-1 (1 inch drop)
    MC5412-112 (1 1/2 inch drop)

KYB shocks are:

551602 shock, SM5392 bushings (front)
    555603 shock, SM5267 bushings (rear)

Thanks! In the bushing kit, do they come with enough for two shocks or do I need to order two of each lot?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    2003 300A #5377 130,XXX Miles

Drilled and slotted rotors from Ebay
    JLT
    Stainless Works Long Tube Headers and 3" catback.
    Mo's Tune

Quote Originally Posted by License2Bill View Post
    Thanks! In the bushing kit, do they come with enough for two shocks or do I need to order two of each lot?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    Kits are for one shock, so you need 2 front and 2 rear bushing kits.

Dobs, are you still here?

How's this all working out?
    2003 300A, #5379 of 7838

Sure, will stop hibernating soon... Mother nature is greedy here.

Everything was bolt-on and installation straight forward. Much better handling and car feel lighter without been uncomfortable (best of both world for this car IMO).

Not mentioned in this post you will need to replace the axle bump stops, you can find information here: http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=88492

Since I'm just getting tons of thumbs up on the road and positive comments everywhere i go.

Cool, thanks.
    2003 300A, #5379 of 7838

I've ran the KYB's on my 2003 CVPI for 3 years/30k and can attest that they are awesome shocks.

For my Marauder build I chose the Naake single F+R kit.

Numbers wise, at 190 for Eaton's, and 260 for KYB's, a total cost of $450 for that setup, the Naake at double the cost at $900.

I've assembled my front coil overs with new upper mounts, but installation to the Marauder is two weeks from now. I will say that the bushing fitment is just fine. The build quality appears top notch as well.

I cannot speak to how well the QA1's will perform or hold up, but if they do as well as the KYB's did I will be happy with the decision, given the fact that I will have complete adjustability of front and rear ride height and dampening, not a predecided height and dampener I have no control over.

I'm not knocking the Eaton/KYB setup, but if your looking for more, like me, I believe the additional cost of the Naake kit acceptable so that I can dial my suspension in to the 8th of an inch and crank up the dampeners at the track.

I'll update after I've driven on the Naake kit a little while.
    I eat apples until my stomach feels much more full than its normal.

Love my Naake setup... ~10,000 miles in total on them in 6 years.

I have 5 Marauders...

ask LJI372 about that HEHEHE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information