Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anatomy of a Ported Short Runner Intake

Anatomy of a Ported Short Runner Intake

What is up folks!

Wanted to talk about on how we go about our Ported Short Runner intakes!

As always Nazty Performance is looking for a way to improve our ways and we have done so with our new style, completely modular Ported Short Runner intake.

Now, don’t be scared. This is not your run of the mill ported short runner with massive loss of power/torque down low and mid range and only to have a very narrow and peaky power band.

The way we have designed our ported short runner is to allow us (Nazty Performance) to change the runner configuration even after the intake has been machined! We can tailor runner length, and plenum volume specific for YOUR application, that being Naturally Aspirated, Supercharge, Turbo or Nitrous applications. That means, we take into consideration cam selection and timing, cubic inches, cylinder head work as well as header tubing and collector size! So, this intake will be a fully customized unit to fit your application.

Now, this intake will be very, very helpful for NA, Supercharged or Turbo applications! This intake will provide the user another option to very nice pieces of equipment like the Sullivan, but without the low/mid range power losses associated with them while maintaining a stock like drivability, tenability and TB location…..and did I mention….it looks like a stocker for that extra sleeper mode!!!

This ported short runner will show little to no losses down low and mid range and bring home huge gains over a stock or stock ported intake from stock motored, very mild (bolt-on) or all out NA applications and will pick up huge gains on boosted applications!!

This intake will continue to effectively extend your power band by a good 1000-1500 RPMs depending on cam selection and application, again, with very little to no losses down low or mid range! Allowing for brutal throttle response and will aid with faster turbo spooling!!

Also, another very important thing is that you will NOT need an aftermarket hood to make it fit! So, your stock hood will be more than enough! If we need to add plenum volume, we don’t go up into the hood…we go down into the “lifter valley”! lol!

We at Nazty Performance start with a stock basic “C-Head” (99-01 Cobra, 03-04 Marauder or Mach 1) Core. We machine the stock lower plenum off, and we begin our machining process. We utilize a 3 axis CNC Mill and CAD program for the machining. So, our cuts are very accurate and able to do them exactly the same over and over again!

Runner length and plenum volume is calculated and new runners/bell mouths are custom formed with our very own dies of 5051 aluminum. This again, allows for exact tolerances and measurements. Runner entrance radius and runner taper are taken into consideration when we fabricate our runners!

Plenum volume is calculated and a new plenum is build off aluminum 6061 aluminum for strength.

After that has been calculated and the runners have been pressed. We proceed and fully port the upper intake plenum six feeder ports, and we fully reshape them, then the runner’s injector bosses and runner is fully ported and reshaped and the velocity stacks are attached and epoxied into place.

Then we utilize our dies and cut off a piece of sheet metal aluminum and “end caps” specially molded to clear the runners and to a specific lower plenum volume.

Then, they are hand fitted and TIG welded!

After the TIG weld process the intake is hot tanked two times, and high pressure air “blown” (lol), from there we coat with 1000F ceramic and you get what we call…..a “Nazty Ported Short Runner” intake!

All Nazty Performance Ported Short Runners are serial numbered and documented for our customers!

So, there you have it!

Just another option for your Naturally Aspirated, Supercharged or Turbo combination that utilizes the stock TB position and will not require an aftermarket hood or aftermarket fuel rails!

Estimated time to fabricate a custom Nazty Performance Ported Short Runner is ~three (3) weeks. We also have a few cores that we can send to you for little or no down time and you just swap and send us your stock core! This is a courtesy to our Nazty Customers and free of charge…..keep in mind you MUST pre-coordinate with us before hand for that service and its only when they are available.

If you guys have any questions please don’t hesitate and post or email me at for more specific details at:

Naz@Naztyperformance.com

Here are a few pics!

We start with a fresh stock intake:

Thru the entire machine process we are always double checking the specs and fitment:

Fully machined Nazty Intake, about to receive the custom lenght runners!!

Here is one of the custom runners bell mouth/runner. We adjust the lenght to control total runner lenght. All our intakes are modular and runner lenght could be ajusted even after the intake is build and shipped. So, if the intake would need adjustment it could be done, or if you further up-date your combo as in cams or a Blower or Turbo...we could adjust that for you as well!

Nazty Intake starting to take form! Intake runner bells custom pressed of 5051 aluminum, they are installed fitted before expoxing into place.

All Nazty Performance intakes receive extensive upper plenum modifications! Feeder ports are fully radius and fully ported! The plennum volume is increased and polished.

The other portion of the runner is also worked! The injector bosses are fully reshaped and the injector discharge area is unshurounded (SP?) to clear the injector and aid with fuel atomization!

After the upper plenum, injector boss area and runners are epoxied and cured. We being with the lower plenum and sealing of the intake!

www.NaztyPerformance.com
    PHONE: 210.818.5087
    EMAIL: Naz@Naztyperformance.com

"Your Source for Ported Intakes, Ported Short Runners, Ported Heads, HCI Combos and Custom Billet Cams!

~99 Cobra~
    537RWHP, 4.6L Based, All Motor!
    128.62MPH Trap @ 3600LBS All Motor!
    9.88 @ 143+MPH Little Juice!!

And then, everything is TIG welded!

Finally, the intake is serial numbered to document the runner lenght, intake bell mouth ID and taper ratio as well as plenum volume! Then its ceramic painted!

For those concerned with the "Area Under the Curve" gains/losses. here is one before vs. after of a Mach 1 (same motor as the Marauder). The Mach was equipped with 4.30 gears and the before runs was with an already ported intake. The only change was the Nazty Ported Short Runner!

There you have Folks! The Anatomy of a Nazty Performance Ported Short Runner Intake!

These bad boys have shown gains of 21+RWHP and 20+RWTQ on a stock Mercury Marauder, those gains were over a ported intake! Gains over a stock intake are estimated of 30+RWHP by 5500RPMs!!!

Cost for a Nazty Performance Ported Short Runner is: $899.95 + S&H

Visit http://www.naztyperformance.com for more information on our Heads, Custom Cams, HCI Combos and Ported intakes!

For a direct link to the Ported Short Runner visit: http://www.naztyperformance.com/psri.html

Post your coments and or questions! Ill do my best to answer them!

Naz

www.NaztyPerformance.com

"Your Source for Ported Intakes, Ported Short Runners, Ported Heads, HCI Combos and Custom Billet Cams!

~99 Cobra~

Your own chart shows about a 17 HP gain in 4th Gear (5200-6800 RPM) -- for $900.00?

2007 CVPI & 2004 Marauder 300A

Please understand that those are AVERAGE gains thru that ENTIRE RPM range. Not at a single point on the RPM range.

If we take that same combo, at 6800RPMs gained a whooping 52RWHP over the ported intake!!!

Naz

www.NaztyPerformance.com

~99 Cobra~

Here is another on a stock Marauder.

Before and after with no tune changes. Ported intake vs. Ported Short Runner:

15RWHP @ 4600 RPMs
    21RWHP @ 5500 RPMs

Keep in mind, this is OVER an already ported intake!!! So, you are looking at 30RWHP gains with nothing more than the intake!

With tune, and exahust mods the intake will bring home even bigger gains!

Naz

www.NaztyPerformance.com

~99 Cobra~

sweet, always cool to see what my intake looks like
    2010 fusion se

I have a spare lower intake just sitting in a box I could send out and have zero downtime.

I guess putting a N/A in the 12's will require some spending and its looking like it will take my 293 RWHP in the 310 RWHP range, possibly more.

Email sent.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Very informative post.

Thanks

Every time I see this intake......

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Kinda makes me want to go back to NA and rediscover new mods.
    Hmmmmm.

Now Rex, dont try and get me to sell my Eaton conversion to you.

Naz IT

There is no denying Naz makes a beautiful product. Some yungin may well use it to break the NA 12s. But, we will see. I'm not writing my $100 check just yet.

Glenn Ford
    Trilogy #124 SOLD - 8/2014
    11.80 @ 117.16 MPH: SSHS9
    1.74 sec - 60'
    443 RWHP/437 RWTQ
    "Stock Internal Engine" - Click Below

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened300a View Post
    I have a spare lower intake just sitting in a box I could send out and have zero downtime.

I guess putting a N/A in the 12's will require some spending and its looking like it will take my 293 RWHP in the 310 RWHP range, possibly more.

Email sent.
    I belive the intake with your supporting mods could be worth easy .3th and 3MPH.

Putting you way close to the 12.99 mark and breaking the 100 MPH barrier.

Its going to take 103MPH and a 1.9x 60 to get the Marauder into the 12 second zone!

You have to launch her as high of an RPM as you traction will allow you!

Naz

www.NaztyPerformance.com

~99 Cobra~

Hey Naz could you elaborate on the epoxy process and the type of epoxy used? Have there ever been any problems with the epoxy and heat?

Quote Originally Posted by musclemerc View Post
    Hey Naz could you elaborate on the epoxy process and the type of epoxy used? Have there ever been any problems with the epoxy and heat?
    The epoxy is 500F and oil/fuel resistant. We have been utilizing it for several years in diferent projects and never had single failure with it.

Naz

www.NaztyPerformance.com

~99 Cobra~

Thanks for clearing that up for me Naz.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information