Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on super flushing the coolant system

Advice on super flushing the coolant system

I have the coolant system so rusted out and i replaced the the water tank and did two flushes with those coolant flush machines and no luck so far, the rust keep on coming back and i removed the cot and inside of the head is filled with rust
    I used liqui moly radiator cleaner and not the expexted results and of course all my flushes was without the thermostat, also i did maybe 5 flushes using distilled water, fill, drive around for a day or two until i see the rust in the water tank and flush, any ideas? I want that rust completely out of the coolant system

Note:
    The heater lines plus the pcv lines are disconnected.
    I got the on3 performance cot delete kit plus the rear head fittings but i didn't installed it yet until i find a solution to the rust.
    Plus a new custom 4 row aluminim radiator also didn't installed it yet. I dnt think its a good idea to install these parts on a rusted system.

can you remove the thermostat, take a garden hose and fashion it in between the 2 hoses that would bypass the heater core. Then open the drain in the radiator.

Turn on the garden hose and start the car and let the water flow.

Ad super flush radiator and block cleaner if you wish, maybe ad water pump lube when its all said and done.

Ive ran RMI and that is basically a water wetter, but cleans the system and deposits all the crap into the over flow jug. Causing it to float.

The flush kit is avail at most parts stores, its a T with a garden hose attachment.
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

Remove block drains and rake the rust out with a pick until clear water flows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Curious how rust accumulated in an aluminum engine. I'd try pure vinegar and clean water. Bring to operating temperature, drain, refill, repeat as necessary. Change the thermostat and possibly the radiator if the rust has debris in it.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    can you remove the thermostat, take a garden hose and fashion it in between the 2 hoses that would bypass the heater core. Then open the drain in the radiator.

Turn on the garden hose and start the car and let the water flow.

Ad super flush radiator and block cleaner if you wish, maybe ad water pump lube when its all said and done.

Ive ran RMI and that is basically a water wetter, but cleans the system and deposits all the crap into the over flow jug. Causing it to float.

The flush kit is avail at most parts stores, its a T with a garden hose attachment.
    The heater core lines are disconnected and plugged off

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    Remove block drains and rake the rust out with a pick until clear water flows.

Sorry i couldn't understand, can you please explain more?

Quote Originally Posted by BAD MERC View Post
    Curious how rust accumulated in an aluminum engine. I'd try pure vinegar and clean water. Bring to operating temperature, drain, refill, repeat as necessary. Change the thermostat and possibly the radiator if the rust has debris in it.
    If it worked tell us

Quote Originally Posted by M91 View Post
    Sorry i couldn't understand, can you please explain more?

There is normally one engine block drain on each side of most engines accessing the coolant passages. Remove the plug and hopefully coolant will flow out, but if it’s as bad as you say it might just be rusty sludge needing to be removed with a pick until it flows. Assuming 4.6’s have drains? Don’t know, never needed to look..

I can’t explain it anymore than that. Go watch a video like everyone else nowadays if need be?

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    There is normally one engine block drain on each side of most engines accessing the coolant passages. Remove the plug and hopefully coolant will flow out, but if it’s as bad as you say it might just be rusty sludge needing to be removed with a pick until it flows. Assuming 4.6’s have drains? Don’t know, never needed to look..

I can’t explain it anymore than that. Go watch a video like everyone else nowadays if need be?

I don't know about the block drain first time i hear about it, i tried to look for videos and only found looks like a drain plug l'll look into the MM block n get back to you.

Any advice on a good coolant flushes?? Since i have a lot of rust i believe it will take several flushes to remove it all

Quote Originally Posted by M91 View Post
    Any advice on a good coolant flushes?? Since i have a lot of rust i believe it will take several flushes to remove it all
    Read post #2
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

There is only one block drain, and its on the drivers side near the transmission. 3/4" socket needed

We had the same problem on my son's old wrecker. We removed the thermostat and rigged up some pipes and fittings then ran the garden hose through it while it was running. It flushed everything out. Looked good for about a week or 2 and then back to rusty mess. We then tried a trick my daddy did on a 62 Chevy truck. Get a fuel filter assembly off a big truck and plumb it into the heater hose. Instead a new filter and run it. In 2 weeks it cleaned the coolant up. Just replace the filter when the heat quits working.

It was an honor to have
    my ASS kicked by you!
    Rest In Peace!
    Paul T. Casey

Oh yeah that 62 Chevy truck is still running.

It was an honor to have
    my ASS kicked by you!
    Rest In Peace!
    Paul T. Casey

Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    Read post #2
    I already had a super flushes only couple of days and the rust comes back but about the water wetter we don't have it in saudi Arabia neither the flush kit i gave it a thought but its a long shot to order from ebay and ship it to saudi Arabia but if is there no other way i'll order it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information