Thread: Front speaker rattle/vibration issues

Front speaker rattle/vibration issues

So I had an aftermarket stereo put in. The full monty. They did a custom job by putting in a double din head unit and component speakers in the front. As you may know, the head unit space is not a true double din, so they had to do some fabricating which they did a good job with. The tweeters, they were able to place them right below the window and look really nice. Anyway, just like before with the stock stereo, there is so much rattle and vibration issues with certain frequencies and I've had it with that issue and want to take on the issue and fix it.

For one, does anyone else have that problem? I've isolated the problem to be coming from the speaker grill and there is also a rattle from the area where the lock knob is. The speaker grill is by far the worse one. It is so bad that at times it makes the speaker sound like it is blown and thus, the sounds coming from it are distorted. But I know the speaker is not blown because when I push on the grill or door panel the rattle/vibration goes away. So it must be loose plastic or maybe the installers left loose wires back there, but since this was an issue beforehand, I'm guessing it is the design of the car. It is apparent that this car was not designed for audiophiles like me, which is fine, but now I want to fix that.

So, all that to say, how does one go about taking the door panel off. Is there a step by step method one could share? I've taken many door panels off, some are easy, some are not. I'm hoping this doesn't lead to a bunch of broken cheap plastic clips. It would seem the installers didn't put on the passenger door right because the arm rest isn't seated right and is kind of hanging too far over the rim. So I don't want that to happen to me. Anyway, if anyone has installed dynamat or other sound dampening material and could share their experience, I'd love to hear it. I really just want to get the rattles to go away as they are destroying the audio during certain frequencies, especially with music with acoustic guitars. Like Eric Clapton's Unplugged. I could just drive around with my hand pushing on the grill but I don't think that is very safe. I have toyed with the idea of removing the grill altogether as the speaker itself is pretty sweet looking. It is a Hertz speaker. But I don't know if that would really work and is not reversible... Anyway any insight would be appreciated.

I have a few thoughts on this actually. The same thing recently happened to me in my Wife's Flex. I put Kappa 6X8 components in the front doors and I though she had blown them. When I would push against the door panel the crackling went away. I removed the front door panel expecting to find mass destruction. The screws ended up backing out ever so slightly so every time the woofer hit it would sound blown. I tightened them down and everything was good after that. That is where I would start.

I put sound deadener in every vehicle I add audio to and use this product. I would highly recommend it.

https://www.b-quiet.com/products/b-q...ltimate-50sqft

On door panel removal its been too long on the Marauder to remember the step by step instructions but I'm sure someone will chime in; if not panel removal instructions can be purchased through Crutchfield.
    2003 300A
    Build date 9/27/02
    Sequence# 5244 of 7839
    I have a few things done to it, Eaton swap next!
    1993 Ford Taurus SHO-Every bolt on available...Awaiting a Turbo
    2008 Ford F350 SD
    1974 Ford F350 SCS
    2011 Ford Flex Titanium, Ecoboost
    www.cardomain.com/id/shofast
    If you don't stand behind our troops; please feel free to stand in front of them!

Yes, I really think it is just something is ever so slightly loose. I'm guessing it is some loose plastic as this was heard before with the stock speakers, though much worse before than now. So I'm guessing I'm going to have to use some silicon or strong tape to hold that plastic in place. Hopefully though, it is just some loose screws. But yeah, I can't stand vibrations and rattles. But like I said, what is unfortunate about this extra "noise" is that it makes it sound like distortion. In reality, the Marauder just has very poor speaker placement. I mean, what's the deal with that speaker grill. Half the sound gets lost due to the size of the grill not being the proper size or placement. I know, I know, this is a car for muscle and performance, not sound. But come on, I'm an audiophile at heart here!

Blog Entries
    Try head phones.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Quote Originally Posted by sailsmen View Post
    Try head phones.
    Perfect! Just think of the money you would have saved.
    2004 SB #2150 of 3214 Moonroof, Heated Seats and 6 CD Changer. Non OEM Mufflers and 32,XXX miles and counting.

Door panel is easy to remove once you find the hidden screws.

There's one behind the door opener handle thingie. Look closely and you'll see a little plastic plug that pries out and reveals a Torx fastener. There's another one behind the little triangular trim piece next to the mirror. There's a third under the window switch panel. The remaining screws are 2 at the bottom of the panel and one on the side near the latch mechanism. I believe those are Phillips. The panel then lifts up and off the door.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    Door panel is easy to remove once you find the hidden screws.

There's one behind the door opener handle thingie. Look closely and you'll see a little plastic plug that pries out and reveals a Torx fastener. There's another one behind the little triangular trim piece next to the mirror. There's a third under the window switch panel. The remaining screws are 2 at the bottom of the panel and one on the side near the latch mechanism. I believe those are Phillips. The panel then lifts up and off the door.

Okay, I see where all of those are, that's easy enough. I've dealt with a lot of panels that have some screws, but the biggest pain is the stupid cheap plastic clips that often times break when trying to get the panel off. Then when you go to put the panel back on, you have to align all twenty of them just right... ugh, I hate those designs. So it sounds like the Marauder is much better designed. Anyway, I'm sure the issue is just a few loose screws or pieces of plastic behind the panel. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Yeah, the panels more or less "hang" on the door...I've had the panels off my Marauder and my 2000 GMQ more than once...nothing broke.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Thread Information