Thread: Rear Doors hold water?

Rear Doors hold water?

Hey there guys,

I've noticed in all the rains here in Houston, that when I open the rear doors - either side - later, I get quite a bit of water out of the bottom drain slots. This can really mean "later," too - days later sometimes.

Not only do the rear doors trap water, but it doesn't seem to drain well. I can see maybe a 1/4 cup dribble out with the door just 'open.' I can then swing the door back and forth and get a higher flow and lots more water as the door swings. (Looks pretty stupid but after all, I bought a DTR.)

Note that I've replaced the rear window lifts in my car and had my hands all up in them doors; I even cleaned out the shavings from drilling out the rivets - my doors are clean, baby.

Is this a common problem with MM's and CV's? I'm surprised that my doors have not rotted away yet.

Keith in Houston
    04 DTR

check the drains on the bottom, I've seen clear tape over them (maybe a production thing)
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by RubberCtyRauder View Post
    check the drains on the bottom, I've seen clear tape over them (maybe a production thing)
    What he said. I have the "drains" if needed.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

My DTR rear doors hold water too, not bad enough it’s so slow, but it feels like even the factory guys were picking on us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Check to see if your drain holes are covered with clear tape. I've seen this on a lot of Panthers.

I popped the plastic pieces out and removed leaves and such blocking the holes. Give that a shot too.
    300A Black
    4:10 gears, Flowmaster 44's with rear cat delete, SW headers with 3 inch cats to 2.5 custom h. 3500 stall, Twisted synergy dyno tune, addco f/r , rear control arms, Novi 1200 air to air with the fixings.

Thanks

Thanks guys, will do. Maybe painting bottom lip of doors black too, eh? Black paint seems to fix most DTR problems.

Keith in Houston
    04 DTR

Thank you guys

Thanks guys, will do. Maybe painting bottom lip of doors black too, eh? Black paint seems to fix most DTR problems.

Keith in Houston
    04 DTR

yes, the more black paint you use on a DTR, the faster it goes , I've heard

Quote Originally Posted by Serge View Post
    Check to see if your drain holes are covered with clear tape. I've seen this on a lot of Panthers.
    I found that on my 2004 GMQ... I wondered why there was water sloshing around when I opened the rear door on the driver's side... saw some clear plastic tape (looked like Scotch tape) over the door drain holes. I removed the tape (a long time ago), but I just noticed some rust starting along the hem...

I don't know if I should try to repair the rust, or just replace the door with a desert-sourced one.

(Yes, I know it's a 14 year old car with 128k... but I'm past 75 years old, and this is very likely my last car... so it must out-last me.)
    Regards,
    Gene

2004 Grandma Marquis LS HPP ( With "MZT" and "SCT ": "The Undercover Marauder")

2004 Ford Ranger Duratec Flareside

1984 Ford Mustang LX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by PonyGuy View Post
    .. I just noticed some rust starting along the hem...

I don't know if I should try to repair the rust, or just replace the door with a desert-sourced one.

(Yes, I know it's a 14 year old car with 128k... but I'm past 75 years old, and this is very likely my last car... so it must out-last me.)
    Such fixes, whether DIY or Pro, depend on:
    1) How bad the rust is
    2) How good the fix is

I've fixed such rust (not on a Panther) and it stayed fixed...the second time I did it but not the first. As best I can recall though, I'm the only person I know who can say that, at least over an extended timeframe that included winter use.

But the fix that lasted took *many* hours, I know what I'm doing, and I have the right equipment, and products that I know (from trial/error, i.e., "from the fixes that didn't last") are OK.

Given your demographics (not a slam, my Father was 100% good-to-go through his mid-80s) I'd kinda lean towards new doors. IF you have the oe ones fixed, I'd sure get some kind of guarantee as this is extremely hard to fix permanently. The times I had (very good) shops do it the rust *always* came back.

Sorry to sound pessimistic, but this is one tough fix to get right.

My P71 doesn't have problems with the doors draining, but IMO I really oughta pull the panels and rustproof the seams now while everything's still OK. Just having the plastic down there *by* the drainholes undoubtedly results in some water retention, and that will eventually lead to trouble.

So if/when you do have this dealt with, I'd absolutely have that done, with the right stuff by somebody who knows what they're doing; it's easy to botch the job and end up with "pockets" in the rustproofing that will lead to...rust.

I just noticed that KBS Coatings has a video on using their products for this kind of repair.

Thread Information