Thread: Alternator Power Wire

Alternator Power Wire

I am pretty sure I already have this figured out but wanted to ask some input anyways. While I have the car all apart I plan on upgrading my power wiring from the Alternator to the battery because I am planning on a high output upgrade down the road. I plan on using 4 AWG wiring on both sides of the circuit but was wondering about the fusible links.

I am completely removing the factory wiring due to oxidation and sheathing deterioration. I am planning on replacing the fusible link with an inline fuse (AGU or ANL have several holders sitting around from past stereo projects). My question is what is the current rating for the dual 18 AWG fusible link?

I'm planning on putting in a 130-135A fuse inline and will swap it out when I finally install the larger 200A alternator but want make sure I stay within the range of the factory fusible links while using the factory alternator.

Now before anyone tells me I shouldn't remove the fusible links I have done this before without frying things. I know they are slower blowing than most fuses but I do not want to solder these inline w/the 4 AWG power wiring.
    04 SB MM RIP 4/24/09
    Number 553 of 3213 04s, 208 of 993 Silvers 04s

03 SB MM (the new girl)
    Born 5/15/2003, Adopted 7/17/09
    Number 7458 of 7838 03s, 225 of 417 Silver 03s

Mods: K&N CAI, 180° stat, SW headers, custom 2.5" h-pipe exhaust from headers to tips w/Dynomax VT mufflers, Part of the Art Carr Stage 2 tranny kit, rebuilt with Alto Black bands and clutches, deep transmission pan, big ass trans cooler, PI 3.5k rpm Triple disk TC, Dynotech 4" driveshaft, Metco Drive shaft loop and rear CA's, Addco front and rear sway bars, just a bit of powder coating, stock size performance brake upgrades, QA1 shocks in the rear with KYBs in the front, and replaced every stock suspension bushing. Tuner's Inc tuned 298 rwhp/306 rwtq

I don't know what the current rating is for the fusible link btw...
    I used 4ga along with the current fuselink cable on my 220amp. Here's the fuse for the 4ga: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ANL-F...item3ef96b0455
    11.931 @ 116.33 (MT ET Streets)
    12.073 @ 118.43 (Nitto 555)

I love the smell of Nitromethane and rubber in the morning!
    Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    I don't know what the current rating is for the fusible link btw...
    I used 4ga along with the current fuselink cable on my 220amp.
    I am assuming you mean you ran it in parallel with the stock charging circuit correct?

I need to pull this wiring because I have corrosion eating away the stock cables and Ford wants over $90 for just the power cable assembly.

Since I am upgrading the charging system in the future I was going to completely remove this wiring and run new cabling with just an inline fuse(s). I have several 4 AWG fuse holders from past stereo projects plus the stuff I was getting ready to run in my 04 before it was totaled.

My plan is to run 4 AWG power and grounds in place of the stock stuff. I was then going to run the power wire through a fuse to a distribution block so I can tap the 4 AWG off for the battery and the Fuse box. Then I will be running 0 AWG to power my 2 JL Audio amps per the manufacturers recommendation. I will be running a 300/4 (mid and highs) along with a 500/1 (10" L5 Solobaric) (a 1 Farad cap will also be installed) and will be leaving room for growth down the road.
    04 SB MM RIP 4/24/09

03 SB MM (the new girl)

Mods: K&N CAI, 180° stat, SW headers, custom 2.5" h-pipe exhaust from headers to tips w/Dynomax VT mufflers, Part of the Art Carr Stage 2 tranny kit, rebuilt with Alto Black bands and clutches, deep transmission pan, big ass trans cooler, PI 3.5k rpm Triple disk TC, Dynotech 4" driveshaft, Metco Drive shaft loop and rear CA's, Addco front and rear sway bars, just a bit of powder coating, stock size performance brake upgrades, QA1 shocks in the rear with KYBs in the front, and replaced every stock suspension bushing. Tuner's Inc tuned 298 rwhp/306 rwtq

Yes, In parrallel. Sheesh dude, sounds like you know what you're doing, you just need validation. If you run a 200 or 220 amp alt, I would go with 2ga or double the 4ga if you allready have the cables and inline fuse.
    11.931 @ 116.33 (MT ET Streets)
    12.073 @ 118.43 (Nitto 555)

I love the smell of Nitromethane and rubber in the morning!
    Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

Pleasant Hill Ca. - across the bay from San Francisco.

RE Wire with more

When I got the 200 amp from Reinhart it came with a
    wire kit that followed the stock wires for safety. 4 & 8 guage-Gnd/Pwr

See the pic here

http://www.reinhartperformance.com/M...ategory_Code=9

Also here are wire limits

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Most important to do the dbl. extra wires that are included for safety.

Warren

Ya I have done this kind of work many times before but it was mainly on older vehicles without all of the additional electronic controls found in our vehicle. I am mainly worried about possible frying some of the other circuits by bypassing the fusible link.

I think my solution to this issue will be just to install the wiring like I said above using the distribution block but will plug the fusible link in between the distribution block and the main fuse box. This way I still have the protection for the main power block of the car but can still have separate protection for the alternator output to the distribution block.

I actually still have all my 0 AWG wiring from my 91 5.0 Cougar that I had a PA Performance 200A alternator in it. I will have to see if this wiring is long enough to reach on the MM and use it if possible.
    04 SB MM RIP 4/24/09

03 SB MM (the new girl)

Thread Information