Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rod Knock

Thanks for all the information. Definitely a lot to take in. It would be nice to find a low mileage 3V engine and start with that, but they just don't exist around here right now.

I found this locally listed for $1500:

1998 Ford Mustang Cobra 4v DOHC 4.6 102,000 miles
    1998 Mustang Cobra t45 transmission 102,000 miles
    Engine and transmission are still connected with newer clutch
    Cobra computer and wiring harness

I'm thinking I may try to snag it. Can use the Teksid short block with my DC heads to get back on the road and try to sell off the rest. With that mileage, I think I'd just leave the rotating assembly alone and use the better of the two timing sets. That would get me back on the road with a crank, block, and heads that I can build with later on. I'm not seeing much demand for B-heads, IMRC, and the early intakes. What do you think I could get for them?

Just stumbled across 2010 explorer listing in a local u-pick it junkyard. Front end damage, airbags deployed, body otherwise in great shape. Complete engine would be $250. I don't have time to stop by tomorrow, but I may poke in on Friday to see if the 3V is still in it and check the mileage. The 98 cobra guy is out of town until next Saturday so I'll run this down in the meantime.

Explorer was a bust. Found a Marauder in a local u-pick yard, but the engine was long gone. Also looked at a 2011 Mustang 3V engine with 41,000 miles. I was optimistic, but the dingbat had put a window air conditioner on it to cool the garage and the condensate filled the engine completely with water. What a waste.

Decided I am going to try selling some parts I've scrounged over the last few years to see if I can increase the budget a bit.

WOW your story is surprisingly similar to mine. Waited many years to get a Marauder and finally found one. The appeared to be neglected as opposed to abused and I started reviving it. Then out for a drive yesterday and somebody came knocking on my engine. I was so bummed. Basically in the same boat you are now searching for options that won't break the bank. I've built many V8s over the years but never worked on a Modular engine. Looks a bit intimidating to me. Want to keep the same motor and hopefully just replace the bottom end and freshen up the valve train. It's got 110k on the clock. Or just go ape crazy and stick an old school 460 in it! LOL Or not. Good luck I hope you find a good solution and are able to get back out on the road!

since we are having the conversation, I would like to ask this: I have a 4v engine out of a 1998 Lincoln mark 8 with the B heads. My understanding is there is a very slight compression ratio difference between this and the marauder pistons. If I were to bolt Marauder C heads onto this block would it run just fine on a stock marauder tune? would the computer compensate for the slight difference in compression ratio? would I need a custom tune from Marty? Please advise.

98 P71 SOLD

2003 MARAUDER - BLACK ~ Race Car
    2003 MARAUDER - DARK BLUE PEARL ~ DD
    2002 Crown Vic Sport ~ top secret project car

It would run just fine, but be a bit down on power. You can always get a tune to bump the spark tables with the lower compression but I'd drive it first to see if that is even needed.

The IMRC motor is worth about $100. I’ve sold several on eBay lately.

Long overdue update. I promise I will get some pictures up soon. I snagged a wrecked 97 cobra drivetrain that was supposed to be "original miles" but sadly when I took it apart it is a low mileage Promar rebuild. There was enough carbon on the pistons that I couldn't see the stamp with a borescope. I'm very disappointed, but I've started parting it out and I think I'll only be into the short block for a few hundred dollars. Teksid block .020 over with good crosshatching, stock rods, and stock crank. I ordered a stallion valve spring compressor, felpro top and bottom gasket kits, and found a stupid good deal on ARP2000 head studs (85 ft-lb). So next week if I find some time I will reassemble the engine with my DC heads and start putting the car back together with a 0.68 TR3650 that's been under the bench for a few years. It wasn't exactly what I was hoping for, but its a step in the right direction, well under budget, and better than dead..... so I'll drive and enjoy it until I can build a proper engine with the m122 that's collecting dust.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information