Thread: Anyone change rim size to 17's to increase tire selection?

Marauder.45 Guest

Anyone change rim size to 17's to increase tire selection?

Wondered if anyone had changed to 17x10s or another size that would allow for greater selection. Choices for 18's kind of sucks. I had kicked around getting some either Cobra or SVT 17x10s.

I'm sure someone has thought of this already. What's the verdict?

If anyones done something like that........Got Pics?

Good question! I am eavesdropping on this thread.
    2003 300A Black MM
    3.73's, 3500 PI, T64e at 9.5 PSI
    Belts are for washing machines.
    Theme song (s) : Back in Black & Thunderstruck!!

Ride it like a Ford.!!

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'm not a gynecologist....but I'll take a look at it.

I've considered this. There is a pretty good selection of wheels for the 05 Mustang here
    http://www.mustangtuning.com/2005wheels.html
    Which should also fit the MM.
    This one http://www.mustangtuning.com/verde-b...heel-17x9.html

is one of my favorites. The problem is that the factory wheels on the MM are one of the most beautiful parts of the car, and is always the first thing that gets complemented.

Marauder.45 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjones
    The problem is that the factory wheels on the MM are one of the most beautiful parts of the car, and is always the first thing that gets complemented.
    +1 to that. I've thought the same. I also like less sidewall. I love the look of the stock wheels.

Is the center of the wheel a cap? Do you think it can be swapped to another?

Isn't there a vendor on here now that could fab up some caps to make a non-MM wheel look like it belongs?

I wonder how those FR500 wheels would look on our cars. Any photoshoppers out there wanna have a crack at it?
    Constitution State Marauders

2003 Mercury Marauder 300A

K&N Aircharger CAI
    SCT Xcalibrator w/ Lidio tune courtesy of Innovative Interceptors
    Accufab twin 60mm throttle body
    FR 500 heads w/ Stage 2 cams
    Kooks full length headers
    Random Technology high flow cats
    custom welded 2.5 in. exhaust w/ Flowmaster Super 40's
    Drilled and slotted rotors from iRotors
    God's head locking valve caps
    god's head and S55 badges
    20% tint all around
    coming soon: S55 painted tail lights, and eventually, a Trilogy!

I've been thinking of going with the tire that comes on the 300C, which is a 225-60R-18. Says that the maximum width of the wheel this tire can go on is 8 inches, which is what our wheels are. The diameter of the tire is the same as the diameter of our stock rear tires and it has about the same number of revolutions per mile as our stock rear tires. The 300C uses the Pirelli P6, but there are lots of other brands out there. The 300C is a high performance car and I'm sure that DC would not put a wimpy tire on it. If you can't get tires for our cars, what good is the car?

Some Ford 500's and FreeStyle's also come with the 225-60R-18, but these are not high performance cars.

No matter. I don't need tires yet but I will by this time next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrcbob
    I've been thinking of going with the tire that comes on the 300C, which is a 225-60R-18. Says that the maximum width of the wheel this tire can go on is 8 inches, which is what our wheels are. The diameter of the tire is the same as the diameter of our stock rear tires and it has about the same number of revolutions per mile as our stock rear tires. The 300C uses the Pirelli P6, but there are lots of other brands out there. The 300C is a high performance car and I'm sure that DC would not put a wimpy tire on it. If you can't get tires for our cars, what good is the car?

Some Ford 500's and FreeStyle's also come with the 225-60R-18, but these are not high performance cars.

No matter. I don't need tires yet but I will by this time next year.
    What are you going to use for front tire size?
    2004 DTR Marauder, Built 26 February 2004, Inservice: 02 July 2004 Retired from DD 17 July 2008. Survived the cut, 28 April 2012. Back as a DD as of 18 November 2012.

Car is an 03 without Traction Control, so would use the same tire on the front. Others on this group have used the rear size 245-55R-18 both front and rear without problems although you lose some of the "rake".

I still have a long way to go before I have to replace my rear tires, so this is all a mute point, but when the time comes, and if the stock size is not available, this would be my "affordable" choice. You know that DC is not going to use P6 225-60R-18 on the Hemi 300C unless it could take the power, which is more than the stock MM power.

These are nice -

http://www.mustangtuning.com/verde-c...heel-17x9.html

If I had one of those Tungsten Grey or Windveil Blue 06 GT convertibles I've been lusting after ......

I'd be all over those like flies on poo.

I could care less if they are the V6 wheels or not ..... those are pretty phat.
    Last edited by the_pack_rat; 06-01-2006 at 11:42 PM.

It was time for a new signature .....

Here it is .....

X

Wheels

I was wondering if anyone knows for sure if the 05 mustang wheels stick out or in more than the factory MM wheels.
    2004 Marauder
    Black
    Dark Charcoal Interior

2006 Mustang GT
    Satin Silver
    Black Leather Int.
    5-Speed Auto Trans.

2003 Grand Marquis LSE
    Silver

Quote Originally Posted by mdmarauder
    I was wondering if anyone knows for sure if the 05 mustang wheels stick out or in more than the factory MM wheels.
    IIRC, the OEM Marauder wheel is a option for the new Mustang so the offset should work. I have always really liked the Torque Thrust Mustang wheels, but the factory Marauder wheel is what MAKES the Marauder a Marauder.
    2004 DTR Marauder, Built 26 February 2004, Inservice: 02 July 2004 Retired from DD 17 July 2008. Survived the cut, 28 April 2012. Back as a DD as of 18 November 2012.

Thread Information