Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saved over $600. this week

Saved over $600. this week

I have a 92 GM that I passed on to the daughter to drive to college, she called me the other day to tell me the defroster was blowng out steam. The car has 199,865 miles on it so I was sure the heater cord was leaking, the local Ford/Mercury dealeship told me labor would run $568. plus parts. The reason the cost was so high is because they have to remove the dash to get to the heater cord. Well it took me 7 hours to install the new core that cost me $26 with a life time warranty, do think it will go another 200,000 miles? I can only hope my Marauder will give me the same great service.

Good deal. I've never replaced a heater core, but a few of my friends have told me that it's a job that sucks so much it's worth the $500... or not having heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    I have a 92 GM that I passed on to the daughter to drive to college, she called me the other day to tell me the defroster was blowng out steam. The car has 199,865 miles on it so I was sure the heater cord was leaking, the local Ford/Mercury dealeship told me labor would run $568. plus parts. The reason the cost was so high is because they have to remove the dash to get to the heater cord...
    Yeah, my heater cord is too short. I get down to the end of the street and it gets yanked out of the wall socket.

jjaguda Guest
    I replaced a heater core in my '96 CV HPP. Yes dropped whole dash into the front seat. If the MM heater core goes, car goes to the shop. It really is a PITA job - especially if you are doing it by itself. Kinda odd that the whole dash is basically held up by two support brackets.

It sounds like you're ready for a Trilogy kit self-install! If you hurry, you might be able to get it done before IRP opens in late March
    2003 Marauder: 300B
    • Trilogy S/C #003
    • MMX Drive Shaft
    • AWSF-22C Plugs
    • 180 TStat
    • 12.745@108.65
    • SSInserts
    • 4.10 Gears
    • Nitto NT555R's (305/45R18)

I had a 92 GM LS HPP that needed a heater core AND a blend door actuator. I sold it before I did those repairs.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

I feel your pain. It took me two days last summer to change out the heater core in my 77 Vette. Pain in the butt doesn't accurately describe it. Dash, console, console trim, passenger seat, the ruined carpet and matting, under the hood stuff, etc. etc. etc. I never want to do it again.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

Mike - That is one tough job. Nice work.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

jjaguda Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan
    It sounds like you're ready for a Trilogy kit self-install! If you hurry, you might be able to get it done before IRP opens in late March
    I am ready for the Trilogy. The pregnant wife is not. She would not care if the Trilogy cost 600 instead of 6k. I'll get the $ together sooner or later.

What/who is IRP opening in late March?

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Carlson
    Yeah, my heater cord is too short. I get down to the end of the street and it gets yanked out of the wall socket.
    LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!! That's the funniest thing I read this week!!!!!...

BTW MIKE, I commend you for performing that task. I've performed two ring & pinion gear changes, and the Trilogy Supercharger installation on my Marauder, and I must say that I've never changed a heater core. I've heard how much of a pain in the rear it is. Good job dude.....

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGman

BTW MIKE, I commend you for performing that task. I've performed two ring & pinion gear changes, and the Trilogy Supercharger installation on my Marauder, and I must say that I've never changed a heater core. I've heard how much of a pain in the rear it is. Good job dude.....

The biggest thing you can do to prevent heater core failure is to change coolant often.

Preventing Against Repeat Heater Core Leaks
    Issue:
    Some vehicles may exhibit repeat heater core leaks. This may be caused by a chemical reaction called electrolysis. Electrolysis involves an ion exchange between the heater core and engine coolant which can result in a breakdown of the heater core material. This is similar to the operation of a battery.

Action:
    I . To check for electrolysis use a DVOM set on DC volts. Place the pos (+) probe in the engine coolant and the neg (-) on the neg battery post.

2. Adjust throttle to 2000 RPM to get the flow going and true electrolysis voltages.

3. If more then .4V is seen, flush the coolant and recheck.

4. If there is still excessive voltage present check the body/battery grounds. Also, verify proper grounding of aftermarket stuff that has been installed.

5. If the condition is still present after the grounds have been checked, it may be necessary to add extra grounds to the HEATER CORE and engine. I replaced the weak school engine grounds with thick 55 straps from Summit on each side ofthe motor. A hose clamp can be used to secure a 16 AWG stranded copper wire to the heater core inlet tube. The other end should be secured to an EXISTING FASTENER on the body sheet metal. Extra grounds should be attached between existing fasteners on the engine and body sheet metal. Verify continuity of any added grounds to the neg (-) batt terminal.

6. Ifthe condition is STILL present, add a restrictor(PN FIUZ-18D406-A) on the inlet hose with the arrow facing the direction of coolant flow (toward heater core). Cut the line and install it as close to the engine as possible (not near the heater core itself).
    '15 F250 CC 4WD 6.7L PSD
    '11 CVLX
    '05 E55 AMG
    '91 350SD Turbodiesel
    '97 Land Cruiser/78 Land Cruiser

TechHeavy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyGman

I changed a heater cord once. It had become tangled in the electric heater itself and was melting.

BTW, good job Mike!

I've replaced 2. One on an 82 GM, one on an 85 TC. The last one was 6 years ago and I still remember what a PITA it was.

03 Marauder 300A, 6 CD Changer, tint, SS Inserts, McGard wheel locks, Full Stainless Works 3 inch exaust and long tube headers, DynoTech MMX driveshaft, Spoiler, Full godshead treatment, Mack & Marty fender badges, Mac & Zack Control arms, KB dead pedal, Adco rear sway bar, 4.10's, FIT/ProCharger Racing Team Member #019(Mine)
    04 DTR Cd Changer, moon roof, heated seats, trunk organizor, McGard wheel locks,
    SS Inserts, Spoiler, tint, godshead stearing wheel badge, Badgless Grill & trunk, Densos & 180 t-stat, Megs Resonator Delete Tips, Flowmaster 40's, Mac & Zack Control arms, KB dead pedal, Adco rear sway bar, Superchips 9100 SCT tuner, JTL CAI, and 4.10's. (hers)
    67 Galaxie 500
    96 F250 EXT Cab 4X4 Pwerstroke
    2013 Lowe SS210
    98 Mustang convertible
    2005 Sportcoach Cross Country 376DS

Quote Originally Posted by jjaguda
    What/who is IRP opening in late March?
    Indianapolis Raceway Park

http://www.irponline.com/HOME/RaceDi...edule-1227.asp
    2003 Marauder: 300B
    • Trilogy S/C #003
    • MMX Drive Shaft
    • AWSF-22C Plugs
    • 180 TStat
    • 12.745@108.65
    • SSInserts
    • 4.10 Gears
    • Nitto NT555R's (305/45R18)

Joshua, Texas (between Burleson & Cleburne)
    Quote Originally Posted by teamrope
    I've replaced 2. One on an 82 GM, one on an 85 TC. The last one was 6 years ago and I still remember what a PITA it was.
    Once. A 1979 Datsun 280ZX. I swore I'd never do it again. It took the better part of a long weekend- my first set of metric tools- two repair manuals and two cases of Lone Star. Three weeks later the car was rear-ended and totalled. It was a warm three weeks though so I never used the heater.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information