Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4l80e transmission question..

Has he finished the MM yet. I assume his p71 was a column shift car.
    2003 budget built marauder-LM7 5.3 SBE 4L80E VS racing 78/75 turbo and other things
    1.56 60' 6.80 1/8 @ 104 mph 10.5 1/4 @129 mph
    #BSTDMRC #LSSWAPPEDMARAUDER
    Instagram -
    Cheapthrillb2
    lsswappedmarauder

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrillb2 View Post
    Anybody? Still curious.
    The stock shifter works fine with the 4L80E

Quote Originally Posted by Ambitious1 View Post
    I am curious about this. How did the 4L80E transform the way the car drove and shift? What was the experience?
    Its like asking what's the difference between the ride quality of a Chevette compared to a Cadillac , the 4L80E does everything better shifts are much more solid and shifts are night and day!

You know as soon as you drive the car that its not a 4r70w, there's really no comparison.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWN View Post

Its like asking what's the difference between the ride quality of a Chevette compared to a Cadillac , the 4L80E does everything better shifts are much more solid and shifts are night and day!

You know as soon as you drive the car that its not a 4r70w, there's really no comparison.
    Could you possibly make a "sticky" about the swap or post some photos? I think a lot of MM folks would be interested in this swap.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Ride 1: 2003 300-A MM, black (naturally), K&N cold air, Granitelli Racing coils, Kybe shocks, Autometer "real" oil pressure and voltmeter, 14 inch front rotors and stainless lines from TCE with 6-piston Wilwood calipers and Hawk HPS pads, cryo-treated slotted rear rotors with TCE stainless lines and Hawk HPS pads, tune by Lidio, LED headlamps. Coming Soon: LED foglights, 200 Amp Alternator.

Ride 2: 2001 Kenny Brown "Panther 2" Crown Victoria, Black. K&N cold air intake to Allen Engine Development supercharger system with water-to-air intercooled Eaton MP-90 at 8 pounds. Extensive chassis bracing, Brembo 4-piston front calipers on 13 inch rotors with stainless lines. Trunk-relocated Optima Red-Top. 5000K Bi-Xenon HID's. And much, much more.

[QUOTE=SteelQualityMan;1569816]Could you possibly make a "sticky" about the swap or post some photos? I think a lot of MM folks would be interested in this swap.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOWN View Post

The gates didn't seem to line up very well, close but not the same. But that could be my geometry at the trans.
    2003 budget built marauder-LM7 5.3 SBE 4L80E VS racing 78/75 turbo and other things
    Instagram -
    Cheapthrillb2
    lsswappedmarauder

Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrillb2 View Post
    Question for those with 4L80. What did you do with the shifter? I retained the stock shifter but feel it could be better. Curious what others have done.
    The stock shifter works well.
    2004 MM (Black) #112 of 3213 (SOLD)

2022 Ford Ff-150 SuperCab Iconic Silver "Powerboost"
    3.35 L 4X4
    -AND-
    SLAYER1
    formerly owned by "Impala Slayer!! 2004 SB MM
    Kenne Belle 2.8 (Liquid Cooled), MMR "Boss 302" Block, L&M Engines rebuild Kooks Headers and cats, Accusump Pre-Oiler Dynamax VT mufflers, MBS 2 1/2" exhaust, 4.10's, 2800 stall, Argento 312 "Color" Powder coated wheels, Rears widened 1 1/2 "703
    702 RWHP/653 RWTQ @ 21 Lbs. Boost, M/M catch can, 3 pillar gauge (Boost, Fuel, air intake and coolant temp, custom console cover, S-55 treatment etc...

Trouble you to take a pic of the hookup at the transmission?
    Instagram -
    Cheapthrillb2
    lsswappedmarauder

Going to be picking up a 6r80 this weekend, still swamped with work, but hope to get the swap completed by spring. I'll start a thread when I start on it,still trying to decide on whether to run the stock converter for a while or not, the whole unit only has 23k miles the 6r80 1st gear is 4.17:1 compared to the 4r70 2.67:1 I believe, should be interesting
    04 twin turbo Marauder custom made by myself 😁
    3800stall freddy Brown 4stbe trans 31 spline rear
    601rwhp 592rwtq @19psi

Spent this past weekend building my first 4l80e... Not a basic rebuild but a build... they are not for the faint of heart or wallet. We machined drums to fit extra clutches, installed a Transgo shift kit, replaced every single bushing, then fitted them all one by one by measuring them and the shaft that rides on them, then honing the bushings to the correct size. The pump was fitted with new pressure springs, relief holes drilled, new epc solenoid. pressure blow off valve installed in the valve body, billet drums, redline racing clutches, kolene steels.... almost 20 hours of work went into her... can't wait to throw it behind 428 cubic inches of Supercharged Pontiac Power!
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    The "Bucket of South Haven Iced Tea"
    One Legged Lesbian Kickboxer
    Cocka Two

Quote Originally Posted by Curless View Post
    Spent this past weekend building my first 4l80e... Not a basic rebuild but a build... they are not for the faint of heart or wallet. We machined drums to fit extra clutches, installed a Transgo shift kit, replaced every single bushing, then fitted them all one by one by measuring them and the shaft that rides on them, then honing the bushings to the correct size. The pump was fitted with new pressure springs, relief holes drilled, new epc solenoid. pressure blow off valve installed in the valve body, billet drums, redline racing clutches, kolene steels.... almost 20 hours of work went into her... can't wait to throw it behind 428 cubic inches of Supercharged Pontiac Power!

Uh, whipple car is not a Pontiac sir...
    Those were the days.........

DANG THEY'RE CUTE!!!!!!
    Smile and Nod
    I love THIS bar

Quote Originally Posted by Curless View Post
    I was fallowing that build on Facebook, really neat! I've messed with the 4r70s but only replacing parts, that was really neat, I'd love to do what you did, or atleast see it done neat!
    04 twin turbo Marauder custom made by myself 😁
    3800stall freddy Brown 4stbe trans 31 spline rear
    601rwhp 592rwtq @19psi

You may be interested in this HUB for the 6r80. If you didn't know about it.
    ~Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Seneca View Post
    I was fallowing that build on Facebook, really neat! I've messed with the 4r70s but only replacing parts, that was really neat, I'd love to do what you did, or atleast see it done neat!

Thank you, it was fun. I should have taken photos of the machining and measuring process. Just did a 4r70 for our current Marauder build, basic rebuild with good clutches and steels. Also added billet drum ($800 gulp!) so hopefully years of enjoyment.
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    Cocka Two

Quote Originally Posted by lji372 View Post
    Uh, whipple car is not a Pontiac sir...
    LOL, I know right? I may be interested in doing a conversion for ya! I'd like to know a little more about the stand alone set ups and how to make the speedo / shifter / cruise control all still work.
    #2941 300A
    4.10's, carbon clutches
    Marty O Tune
    Curless Cure
    Widened Wheels
    Dead Pedal
    Eaton Swapped

Bar tender and maker of:
    Christmas in a cup
    Cocka Two