Thread: Overheating issues continue - pulling out hair

Overheating issues continue - pulling out hair

I've been fighting coolant issues for a few months now. I've replaced the thermostat and the reservoir cap. Still the issue persists. What's weird is I can go a month and all is fine, then suddenly, overheat. I do the full FastBlackMerc burp each time on an incline in my driveway, so it's not a matter of burping. What I noticed last time, is that coolant was constantly leaking from the top of the reservoir under the cap. I thought it was a bad cap, so I swapped caps with the overflow tank, but it didn't help. So I bought a new cap, and that seemed to solve it for over a month. Until today, when I parked, the car was not overheating, but I saw coolant under my car when I came out of the gas station. Was hoping it was someone else's, so I drove a couple of miles to my destination and then popped the hood to check. Sure enough, coolant was again flowing from underneath the reservoir cap. It wasn't boiling, and the dash gauge still showed under 1/2. My Aerometer showed 206 degrees.

I assumed I could limp home, but after about 10 miles, it started to climb. The Aerometer gauge reached 218. I pulled over, let it cool, filled up the reservoir, opened the crossover and burped it best I could and made it home with the dash gauge never going above half. Aerometer again showed around 208 degrees.

So, a couple of questions.

1) Is the cap ever supposed to let liquid out? I thought it vented steam, but the liquid was supposed to go the small overflow tank. Could it be the threads on the fill hole of the reservoir are allowing air in? They don't look munged, but maybe?

2) Is the cap supposed to be able to twist on indefinitely? My OEM cap, would start clicking and you could turn it forever in the tighten direction. My new aftermarket cap, initially didn't do that. But during this hot overflow condition, I found I could also turn it forever...it would seem to get loose, then tight, then too far, loose again.

3) Is there something more insidious going on? This is a trilogy setup, and the engine is now forged and has about 20K on it. I've never let it overheat, and up until this sporadic overheating, it's run like a champ.
    03 300A
    Trilogy #154
    Stainless Works LongTube Headers, Magnaflow High Flow Cats, X-Tube, Rear Cat Delete, Borla Mufflers, 2.5 Mandrel Bent pipes
    Lido tune
    Performance Transmission, 2500 Stall

Sounds like the threads on the reservoir are fubar. Borrow a pressure tester and pump up the system to 16 pounds and see if it holds.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Could be the cap or threads on the tank.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Cooling Mod done?
    Did you drain entire system?
    Have you confirmed water pump working?
    Is it a 185 T-stat ?
    Did you test the T-stat in boiling water to confirm it is working?

Where did you get your thermostat? It’s different from a Crown vic, I would go to the dealer and get a ford thermostat.
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox (sold)
    2004 DTR - shitbox #2

I suggest a 170 degree Reisch Performance thermostat.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

any t stat temp other than stock will need to be addressed for in a tune. 170 stat for ex. makes no diff if pcm thinks it has a 195 in it. the pcm controls the fan
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

FIRST TIME I WENT TO FLAPS AND ASKED SPECIFICALLY FOR 2003 MERCURY MARAUDER THERMOSTAT I WAS GIVEN A CROWN VIC ONE! MY COOLING PROBLEMS FROM THERE ONLY GOT WORSE. IRONICALLY IT WAS A BAD CAP TO BEGIN WITH. I ENDED UP PUTTING THE ORIGINAL TSTAT BACK IN, AND BEATING THE HE DOUBLE HOCKEY STICK OUT OF THE REPLACEMENT WITH A BFH

98 P71 SOLD

2003 MARAUDER - BLACK ~ Race Car
    2003 MARAUDER - DARK BLUE PEARL ~ DD
    2002 Crown Vic Sport ~ top secret project car

Lol on the BFH. Yeah it's a MM tstat. I'm thinking it might be the tank threads even though they look ok. I noticed when burping yet again today, the cap doesn't go on level...I could put it on at an angle.

But just for my own education should fluid ever pour out of the cap? I've always seen caps release steam and then blow up fluid if opened...but this was a constant river of fluid running out of the cap.
    03 300A
    Trilogy #154
    Stainless Works LongTube Headers, Magnaflow High Flow Cats, X-Tube, Rear Cat Delete, Borla Mufflers, 2.5 Mandrel Bent pipes
    Lido tune

Sounds like it might be cross threaded. Is the gasket in the cap intact?
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Before you waste anymore time throwing parts at this what caused the overheat or temperature issues? Was it out of the blue? While these cars are difficult to bleed the cooling system your intermittent issue has me worried. I would have a shop perform a block test on your car. It checks for the presence of combustion gasses in the cooling system. IE - blown headgasket, cracked head, etc.
    Neil
    2003 Mercury Marauder - DBP/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - BLK/DC
    2003 Mercury Marauder - SB/LF
    2004 Mercury Marauder - DTR/LF
    1964 Mercury Marauder - BLK/BLK

I have a block test kit...no combustion gasses in the fluid. Ordered a new fomoco reservoir and cap. Will update when I install...flu has me down right now.
    03 300A
    Trilogy #154
    Lido tune

Dont forget to replace that COT oring. I have plenty here in you guys need some.
    2.00 shipped for 2 cot orings
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

#1 problem for mod motors overheating..... bad cap on the tank. From a fleet perspective I see it regularly, it’s not uncommon. If your cap now spins and didn’t before, your caps bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Overheating issues continue - pulling out hair

Quote Originally Posted by Turbov6Bryan View Post
    Dont forget to replace that COT oring. I have plenty here in you guys need some.

2.00 shipped for 2 cot orings

LOL! Figures. Think I paid $14 online for the pair I got recently. Then realized I should replace the third in the middle as well, and “only” paid $5 for that one.

Should have checked here first.
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Thread Information