Thread: Fuel pressure oscillations

Fuel pressure oscillations

Hey guys,
    Took my Marauder on its 1st road trip yesterday. I went 173 miles in one direction, from Chandler AZ to Show Low AZ.
    The rebuilt engine, etc., had only 200 miles on it prior to the trip, so still in the shake down phase.
    Everything went good until about mile 140. Then the engine stalled. As it stalled I saw the fuel pressure (AutoMeter gauge) had dropped to near zero. I got the car over on the side of the road, opened the hood and looked for anything obvious. Nothing. I attempted a restart, and the car started and I completed the trip. Yay. However...

The fuel pressure reading would oscillate very widely from 100 to near zero if the car was idling and my foot was off the gas. If I gave it a teeny bit of gas with the accel pedal, the pressure would normalize at the steady state level, which appears to be 40 psi on the gauge.

When I arrived, I pulled into the garage, took my foot off the gas. The gauge oscillated again and the car stalled.

The car has never done this in the prior couple hundred miles of running; all of my other trips were relatively short.

There is a high volume fuel pump I put on the car while it was in rebuild. The pump is powered, essentially, directly from the battery , with that power going through a relay , then the FPDM. There is a 40amp fuse on the line in. This is a wiring set up that was found on this site, and recommended by Chris at ADTR.

There was no check engine light, no codes.

After a night in the garage, the car runs/idles very normal, albeit the stable fuel pressure is at 30 rather than 40.. so maybe the problem is temp driven?

Any ideas what was causing the wild oscillations in gauge fuel pressure?

Thanks guys
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

guys, sorry - I did get 2 codes
    P0190 & P0442

Quote Originally Posted by azgolfrat View Post
    Hey guys,
    Took my Marauder on its 1st road trip yesterday. I went 173 miles in one direction, from Chandler AZ to Show Low AZ.
    The rebuilt engine, etc., had only 200 miles on it prior to the trip, so still in the shake down phase.
    Everything went good until about mile 140. Then the engine stalled. As it stalled I saw the fuel pressure (AutoMeter gauge) had dropped to near zero. I got the car over on the side of the road, opened the hood and looked for anything obvious. Nothing. I attempted a restart, and the car started and I completed the trip. Yay. However...

The fuel pressure reading would oscillate very widely from 100 to near zero if the car was idling and my foot was off the gas. If I gave it a teeny bit of gas with the accel pedal, the pressure would normalize at the steady state level, which appears to be 40 psi on the gauge.

When I arrived, I pulled into the garage, took my foot off the gas. The gauge oscillated again and the car stalled.

The car has never done this in the prior couple hundred miles of running; all of my other trips were relatively short.

There is a high volume fuel pump I put on the car while it was in rebuild. The pump is powered, essentially, directly from the battery , with that power going through a relay , then the FPDM. There is a 40amp fuse on the line in. This is a wiring set up that was found on this site, and recommended by Chris at ADTR.

There was no check engine light, no codes.

After a night in the garage, the car runs/idles very normal, albeit the stable fuel pressure is at 30 rather than 40.. so maybe the problem is temp driven?

Any ideas what was causing the wild oscillations in gauge fuel pressure?

Thanks guys
    '03 Silver Birch. Stock rebuilt 4.L 32V DOHC, V7-JT blower w/ADTR racing supercharger kit, Shift kit in transmission, stainless works long pipes and cat backs, Ridetech coil-overs front, shocks in back (ADTR kit). Rebuilt calipers, upgraded front rotors, OEM Mercury wheels, [boost, oil P, WB fuel/air, and fuel pressure] gauges. Build duration was Dec 2019 to Mar 2022. 8 rib serp belt upgrade i/p.

azgolfrat... P0190 & P0442

P0190 - fuel rail pressure sensor circut malfunction
    P0442 - EVAP leak

Pull the vacuum line off of the fuel rail pressure sensor and smell for gas. Replace if you smell gas. P0442 is a small evap leak and will not affect the drivability of the car. I would also check for a large vacuum leak.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Thanks Blazen

Quote Originally Posted by blazen71 View Post
    Pull the vacuum line off of the fuel rail pressure sensor and smell for gas. Replace if you smell gas. P0442 is a small evap leak and will not affect the drivability of the car. I would also check for a large vacuum leak.

I think the 0442 was from starting the car without gas cap back on (ooops),
    I will check that doggone vac line as well. I've had problems with it before.

Blazen,
    The item to be replaced, if there is a gas smell, is the frps, correct?
    Does the frps work based on differential pressure on either side of a diaphragm?
    There was a gas odor. The only location to easily disconnect was at the upper manifold connection.

Yes, the FRPS. There is a diaphragm inside it that can rip.
    You "feel" the difference because you want to "feel" the difference. Since you just spent money on the upgrade you "have" to feel the difference

I'm looking to eliminate the double pump process I have to follow right now to get the pedal hard

2004 300A Procharger #0010 D1X
    2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD. Last I heard, it was in Washington State)

Thanks Blazen
    So that raises a good question ...is the oem frps ok for a boost/vacuum environment that will produced with the supercharger in place? Or are there compatible frps units that are designed for use with a supercharged system? Thanks again!
    -KK

Yes, the FRPS. There is a diaphragm inside it that can rip.

Quote Originally Posted by azgolfrat View Post
    Thanks Blazen
    So that raises a good question ...is the oem frps ok for a boost/vacuum environment that will produced with the supercharger in place? Or are there compatible frps units that are designed for use with a supercharged system? Thanks again!
    -KK
    Kenne Bell makes a disc that goes in under the FRPS to help with fuel spikes. I bought one probably 12 years ago now and never even used it LOL.

If it’s not on my tool box in the original envelope then it’s long gone, but if it is I’ll donate it. I’ll check this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Fuel pressure oscillations

Wow I actually remembered a date LOL!

2010….

Anyways PM me your address.

Last edited by justbob; 07-16-2022 at 04:36 PM.
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

JB,
    PM sent, thanks very much!

Hey guys,
    I took the fuel rail pressure sensor and the fuel pressure gauge sensor off the fuel rail (the gauge sensor allen bolts right on top of the frps) in prep for replacing the frps and found a small black oring one of two) on the gauge sensor was ripped. Maybe this was the source of instability. I will replace the oring (but neither sensor), put the new (smaller) belt on with new oem tensioner and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

FYI I sent it out Monday 5AM.

Sounds like you found your issue!

SOLD 12/31/2021

Quote Originally Posted by justbob View Post
    FYI I sent it out Monday 5AM.

Sounds like you found your issue!

JB, got the part and installed.
    Thank you sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been able to pull 2 good units of these at the junk yard just in case I need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information