Thread: Rear big brake kit???

Rear big brake kit???

Anyone familiar with or using this kit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Rear-Bra...item21271f9a46
    Name: Bruiser.
    4 doors - no waiting.
    2004 Mercury Marauder, BLACK w/Charcoal.
    Built 09/04/03
    #261 of 1236 Blacks, 3213 total for 2004
    (Thanks RoyLPita)
    Purchased 10/23/2003
    Adopted 04/25/2004

Hot seats, 6 disc, trunk org, spoiler, avic f90bt & xm, ts-d802 speaks, bumper inserts, pedal and sill covers, 23% tint, 8000k hi/lo hid's & fogs, pro-guard, c.a.i., Xcal2, u.d. pulleys, emp pump, 180 t-stat, autolite 103 plugs, cop connects, coil covers, converter, aluminum pan & cooler, intake spacer, 4.10's, girdle, sway bars, control arms, head cooling kit, shorty headers w/ x pipe, dead pedal, budget big brakes.

"Come with me if you want to live
    ".

It looks like you just get the brackets

• · Custom steel bracket for each side of your axle housing (2 total.) Patent pending. Lifetime warranty.

• · Complete parts list along with a list of reputable vendors with great prices. Reuse your stock master cylinder and hoses.

• · Installation guide. Average install time is 5.5 hours.

• · Tech support. The installation guide is great but sometimes questions arise.

You need to buy everything else. Also says it uses "an integrated E-brake (cable) for more reliability and less drag.". The MM uses an emergency brake that acts like old drum brakes. Does this kit address that?

Look at the braking surfaces on the rotors, to me they look exactly the same so your not really changing anything.

For me I'd say
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Rotor looks bigger, caliper does not, I'm not seeing an advantage. Todd @ TCE can hook you up with Willwoods

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Definitely zero benefit other than looks here.

Also note the drum is larger. Meaning the parking brake (as you know it) won't work.

Unless they supply you an entirely new parking brake with the kit (for $105??)

Like to see those "patent pending...." brackets....lol Take off the current bracket, gut the p brake and bolt a plate to the flange and caliper onto it for the rotor off something else that fits.

They'll sell a few I'm sure at the price point. Be curious to hear how the install and results turn out.
    TCE
    Your one stop...for Wilwood brakes.

After reading the description it must use a mustang caliper. The ad states it uses a caliper with an integrated rear parking brake.

Been waiting for this guy to surface again. He first posted about this back in early May, but wouldn't give up any details.

2005 Mercury S55
    Saleen Supercharged 2V

I was working on doing this custom bracket myself. Maybe I'll order this and take a look at how he did it - I have all the other parts.

Still wondering how he has the parking brake cables attached since in my research I believe the cable ends are different.

As for performance, there is a reason Ford upgraded the 13-14 GT500's from the standard 12" rotor to this 14" rotor. The larger effective diameter will produce 16% more friction at any given brake pressure and should have somewhere in the same ball park increased mass for reduced heat and thus brake fade.

I like how the guy who designs a bracket for and uses a 14" rotor in the front with a basically not upgraded caliper is saying there is no benefit to a 14" rotor in the rear with a basically not upgraded caliper.
    I eat apples until my stomach feels much more full than its normal.

Received these from the ebay seller for inspection and review.

The design he came up with involves grinding/cutting to remove the existing welded on brake adapter flange of your existing axle housing, and welding on a new flange that is the correct pattern for the mustang axle-to-caliper bracket-bracket.

Pretty crappy hunk of steel with some piss-poor instructions

My idea was to make a bracket that would bolt in place of the Panther axle-to-caliper bracket that properly fit the GT500 caliper so that you would not need to use the mustang one, which also requires modification to accept our ABS sensor, per the instructions.

So I will definitely not be installing this kit and continuing on the development of my own.

Seller did not offer a refund.

I bought Wilwoods front/rear, didn't need a return policy, the perform as expected.

Just food for thought......

Sent from my iThrone using Tapatalk
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

Well with the front and rear projects I am working on, service costs are critical.

Even if the entry cost is the same, which it is not, how much does it cost you to replace your pads and rotors? who stocks parts and how long do they take to get? I would not be surprised to hear that one axle of Wilwood pads and rotors run you in excess of $600

By adapting a factory ford brake system parts are readily available and less than $300 an axle for pads and rotors.

Pretty important figure when your tracking a 4000lb 450hp car and you can destroy a set of rotors in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Logizyme View Post
    Pretty important figure when your tracking a 4000lb 450hp car and you can destroy a set of rotors in a day.
    Which is why (on my track car), I designed the brakes such that you can rotate rotors, pads, and calipers front to rear. They're all hat style. It uses cheap Corvette rotors, Viper (brembo) calipers and I run two independent master cylinders (different sizes) and a balance bar. Bias is on the dash. Very cost effective, and functional. I completely overheated and destroyed the front right at one point and experienced a pad failure, followed by friction welding the rotor and cooking the caliper...for which I had no spare. I was able to remove the rear right caliper and rotor and swap it to the front, drain and disconnect the rear master cylinder to disable the rear, and was still able to drive the car normally to and in the car show the following day and loaded it under its own power. Handy.
    Last edited by ByronRACE; 08-08-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ByronRACE View Post
    Which is why (on my track car), I designed the brakes such that you can rotate rotors, pads, and calipers front to rear. They're all hat style. It uses cheap Corvette rotors, Viper (brembo) calipers and I run two independent master cylinders (different sizes) and a balance bar. Bias is on the dash. Very cost effective, and functional. I completely overheated and destroyed the front right at one point and experienced a pad failure, followed by friction welding the rotor and cooking the caliper...for which I had no spare. I was able to remove the rear right caliper and rotor and swap it to the front, drain and disconnect the rear master cylinder to disable the rear, and was still able to drive the car normally to and in the car show the following day and loaded it under its own power. Handy.
    This is on your Marauder?
    If so POST PICS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    This is on your Marauder?
    If so POST PICS!!!
    Unlikely, corvettes use a 5x120 lug pattern.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'04 Marauder #357 of 3213 - Built and Eaton swapped - "MERCD"
    '21 F150 XLT 5.0 Sport
    '18 Chevy Malibu Redline
    '15 Mustang GT, performance package
    '01 BMW 740i M-Sport, manual swapped
    '97 Lincoln Town Car (black on black)
    '10 Harley Ultra Limited
    '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
    '03 Grand Marquis(sold)

Thread Information