Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air bags

Air bags

Quote Originally Posted by BAD MERC View Post
    I have not done soapy water yet and will before I replace anything. However, if replacement is necessary I'll document the process and post it here.

Cool; it would be great if it were just a line or a solenoid like RF mentioned, but they're going to have to be done sooner or later.
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Forget it! 300 yards with the airbags off felt like driving a low-rider farm truck. Bumpy and handles like a pig; miserable.

I'll just live with them kicking in every 7-8 minutes for a few seconds until I get them fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Air bags

Took 30 seconds to confirm the leak: drivers side bag, bottom rear right at the fold. Passenger side is good.

Anyway, they have to be replaced. I'm comparing the Suncore to the Arnott and will go with one of those sets, hopefully before the compressor dies.

Last edited by Svashtar; 08-05-2017 at 06:57 PM.

Air bags

I have not done soapy water yet and will before I replace anything. However, if replacement is necessary I'll document the process and post it here.

I see the Suncore bellows are only $89 for the pair, quite a bit less than the Arnott. 2/3rds less actually, and they don't have the HD option, which is suspect. Checking reviews online as I'll always try and find the best quality regardless of price. I'll post back if I find anything one way or the other.

Tempting to get a new compressor as well, but if it ain't broke...

Last edited by Svashtar; 08-05-2017 at 06:59 PM.

Bad Merc, check this out, looks real straightforward:

http://arnottmanuals.com/?part_number=A-2220

Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
    I see the Suncore bellows are only $89 for the pair...and they don't have the HD option, which is suspect.
    If you want the car to ride and perform like the originals, you either need to pony up for the OEMs (made by Firestone) or get the Arnott limo springs.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Air bags

Got it, looks like the heavy duty model made for the Grand Marquis. Would seem to be the right fit.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...0_gid1142.html

I was thinking you were referring to the Lincoln town car when you said Limo; but these should be it. Thanks.

Last edited by Svashtar; 08-06-2017 at 12:51 PM.

I have a pair in my store but they Arnott the correct ones. Having them in my hand simplifies understanding how the solenoid goes in and whatnot. The most difficult part appears to be troubleshooting the leak.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

I was thinking you were referring to the Lincoln town car when you said Limo;
    I was, but they're the same part anyway.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Just got off the phone with Arnott; they sell the HD "limo" bags with aluminum piston for $127 each. Solenoids and o-rings are $20 each, and a new compressor/dryer is $222.

They sell a complete kit with everything for $439, saving you $42, BUT that is for the standard air spring with plastic piston at $110 each. (FYI, according to them the bags are the same except for the pistons, so will give the same ride.)

No problem, I asked them to sell me that complete kit for $473, which adds in the $17 each extra for the HD bags. Nope, no substitutions allowed.

Which means you pay separate prices for everything, or ~$516 for the works, $43 extra.

My pump is still hanging on, but they said sometimes a working pump will fail after newer stronger bags are put in. We'll see.

I'll start with the bags and solenoids at $294 and see how the pump holds up.

They offer a limited lifetime warranty on everything to the original purchaser, so this looks like the best option for quality versus cost.

I would hope they would know their product, but the OEM bags for the CV/GM are NOT the same as the OEM Marauder. Different spring rate. If they're saying both of their bags are the same rate, that's disappointing.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    I would hope they would know their product, but the OEM bags for the CV/GM are NOT the same as the OEM Marauder. Different spring rate. If they're saying both of their bags are the same rate, that's disappointing.

Yes, they are saying the only difference is the better piston construction in the limo bags, metal vs. plastic. Identical otherwise, and why don't I want to save money?

Just a misinformed customer service rep; at first she told me they didn't even make bags for the MM, so after that all her information I couldn't confirm on the site was suspect.

She was adamant they wouldn't upgrade the bags on their standard kit, which makes no sense to me. When I order I'm going to speak to someone else about that. Her: "They would have to open the box and replace the bags with the HD ones!" Me: "What's your point? I'm paying the difference."

LOL! I think there was just another thread on this...

Air bags

I'm getting the new bags and solenoids now. Should I spring for a new compressor? Or if it ain't broke.. ? Mine was running every few minutes for a couple of days, maybe a dozen extra runs total, but I parked the car until I can get it fixed so it's still good.

(Arnott also said new bags sometimes were "too much" for the old compressor, and recommended I get a new one, but I wanted to get your recommendations first. Sounds like a sales pitch of course, but who knows.)

I can always get it, but can save $ getting it with the other parts today, and don't know if these pumps have an estimated end of service life. (?)

Thanks.

I can always get it, but can save $ getting it with the other parts today, and don't know if these pumps have an estimated end of service life. (?)
    My OEM pump has 230K on it. Still works. I've never touched it, or lines, or solenoids, or bags, or dryer. I wouldn't change it if it's working. Change it when it dies.

Quote Originally Posted by ByronRACE View Post
    My OEM pump has 230K on it. Still works. I've never touched it, or lines, or solenoids, or bags, or dryer. I wouldn't change it if it's working. Change it when it dies.

Thanks, makes sense. 230k on the original bags? Damn, I knew mine were fraying some at the 6 o'clock position but the hole on the drivers side was a surprise at half your mileage. BTSOM. The passenger side is still good but it just takes one.

The solenoids are still OK, but as long as I'm changing the bags, for an extra $40 new o-rings and solenoids makes sense.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information