Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found an '03 Marauder in sorry state.

Found an '03 Marauder in sorry state.

Several times I have driven by a home not far from my own and I have seen a Marauder parked in the front of it. Today, I noticed it had not moved in a while so I decided to stop and knock on the door and see about the car.

The car was manufactured in August 2002. Pretty sure it is a 300A, black, moon roof. The lady of the household tells me her hubby wants $5k firm, but.... paint is bubbling on the roof and front pass fender, air ride is busted, there are some electrical issues, the car has not moved in years, and it kinda smells pretty bad on the interior... like mildewish.

Pretty sure this is a case of the price tag reflecting the sentimental value of the car vs the actual value.

Based on what I have said, I was thinking closer to $1k. It isn't a junker, but it does need a LOT of love. Was wondering your all's opinion since you guys are... well... experts.

2003 CVPI former Connecticut State Police Supervisor vehicle. 160,000 miles
    Upgrades: 3.55 Posi, 200amp alternator and new decoupler, lighting relay mod, KYBs in the rear, LTC leather rear seats, 70mm FoMoCo throttle body, and MZT mod with MPT custom tunes.
    DOHC swap to come! http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...3076313&page=1

Cash talks. Remember, play the labor card and emphasize the amount of work it will need. Don't come off like the car is special. Acting like you love it makes the price inflate. I think you might be on the right track. $3000 tops if it runs. More details if you have them.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

I have the door sticker info, but as the car is not mine, I do not feel right posting it. I will say the car is 628950. The lady did not mention any mechanical problems, just the air ride and electrical issues. She said the car had some... quirks. Paint was bubbling on the roof of the car about 9 inches in front of the rear window. Paint was also bubbling passenger side front fender right at the top of the arch. I looked at the engine, it looks complete. Lots of aluminium oxidation and some acorns that have been chewed upon. Again she stated the car has not moved in a long time.

They know I like it well enough to have stopped and knocked on their door. They know it is Marauder and what that means. Missus wants it fixed or gone, and hubby doesn't have the know how to do it himself. The car is the tangible link to his younger premarital years so he's priced it accordingly.

Listening to her, she tried to have Chip Foose's show, Overhaulin', come fix it up, but no dice. I think she's at the point where I offered to tow it off the yard she's accept.

As for the interior, there is some stank. But having ripped my Vic apart, I am not afraid of taking the seats out and giving everything a good shampoo.

Rims are solid, tires are flat. Brakes are a solid slab of rust. Silver reflective material in the side markers is peeling. Headlamps are foggy with condensation on the inside. No spoiler, battery is dead so I could not look in the trunk. I didn't bother to look at the odometer. Oh, and axle code is '56.' Not sure what it means.
    Last edited by maximusslade; 08-10-2017 at 06:03 PM.

Upgrades: 3.55 Posi, 200amp alternator and new decoupler, lighting relay mod, KYBs in the rear, LTC leather rear seats, 70mm FoMoCo throttle body, and MZT mod with MPT custom tunes.

Found an '03 Marauder in sorry state.

I think Bad Merc is in the right track pricewise, maybe even a little high IMO.

Ask yourself what an MM with nice paint and in good mechanical condition with a clean interior and over 80K miles would go for. Start with the 3K and add up what you'd have to put into this one to get it there. That will give some better perspective on the pricing.

Trouble is sitting for a long time is as hard on the car as driving it and beating it, maybe more so. And "electrical issues" can cover a lot of ground and turn into a rat's nest. Too bad he let it get that way...

Let us know if you decide to get it.

P.S. Just need the key to look in the trunk, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Svashtar; 08-10-2017 at 06:51 PM.
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Electrical doesn't scare me too much as it is what I do for a living. Plus I have a whole Marauder internal harness sitting in a pile in my garage and an engine harness sitting on a shelf. So I have parts if I need them for that.

Still, there is a lot of work to be done to make this even a $5k car. I don't think I'd be comfortable going any higher than $1500.

Adding up nothing but negatives and dollar signs only insults sellers. Emphasize on the unknowns like the electrical and not running or driving and NO way to even guess what that will involve besides obvious things that you can see like the rusty brakes.

I always tell them that I expect a few things wrong and I'm a mechanic but this even has me questioning buying this as I don't want to insult you, but there is quite a bit more than I am wanting to chew off. Normally they get more eager to deal real world, especially if you show up prepared with a trailer..

Even then stick to your guns, stay polite, interested but not, and mention you dedicated your whole day to car shopping and you have two more appointments so you either have to meet my price soon or I have to get going to the next one I'm checking out.

Problem is he isn't trying to sell it, your trying to buy it. Big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Smile

If it is a 2003 - 300 A and has a Moon roof it is aftermarket ,
    If it is that rough I would walk away .
    SOLD MY MARAUDER .

I am almost in agreement. I mean, I really would like a bonafide Marauder, but I am already balls deep in my 4V swap into my Vic. I mean, when done, it is damn near the same thing. I know, I know, sacrilege, but mechanically, it is true. It is probably best that I finish the project I am working on and have the baddest Crown Vic on the block.

Smile

I would finish your project that you spent your hard earned cash and all your time on,
    Have fun with what you got .
    SOLD MY MARAUDER .

We know you'll get the critter living under the intake with the car and all the wires it ate but still the front and read bumper covers and the heads are going to fetch 2k

Without knowing if it runs I think you're in the ballpark at $1500. Worst case and the engine is shot the car is worth that for parts, as long as you have a place to store them. Keep us updated.

"....Oh, and axle code is '56.' Not sure what it means..."

56 = 3.55 traction lock rear they all had that.

I "saved" one for $1300...minor front end damage, guy was parting it out...quickly it has added up to $3800 - that's junkyard crawling and rock auto for parts. Not done yet either.

Are you sure you're not courting a flood car?

If you got it for $1000, you could sell the floor mats for $4000 and call the junk yard to tow the carcass away.....

Blog Entries
    If your time and money are of value buy a Marauder in near new condition, you will come out way ahead in time and money.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump