Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marauder in Popular Mechanics

Marauderer Guest

Marauder in Popular Mechanics

Well it is back int his months edition as a long term test car in Popular Mechanics. They don't say a whole lot, but at least there is a picture again! Free advertising in a major pub!

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    long term test car. Is it a 2003 or 2004? Maybe the report will help 2005 sales
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

Marauderer Guest

and they have already wrecked it once! Had a run in with a Honda of all things

Re: 2003

Originally posted by Marauderer
    and they have already wrecked it once! Had a run in with a Honda of all things
    Must have beena rookie driver--no one would have let an MM have a Honda get that close....really.......who are they kidding!!!
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

If I am not misstaken the article stated that the MM was T-Boned and the repair bill was over 5,000. No one was injured in the MM and it handled just as good after the fix as it did before. Good saftey factor and repairability. Way to go FLM.
    Marcus Hyde
    Living the dream in my MM.

TripleTransAm Guest
    Does Fourth Horseman happen to work for Popular Mechanics?

I was thinking the same thing! What are the odds of 2 MM's getting t-boned by 2 Hondas?

Fourth!!???!
    2003 Marauder 300eh - Stock

Born: 12/03/2002
    Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Metco Control arms and Watts link.
    QA1 8 way adjustable shocks and struts.
    Addco front and rear anti-roll bars.
    Wilwood front brakes.

I can't drive 55. I'm looking forward to not being able to drive 75 ether.

TripleTransAm Guest
    Browsed the article in question at the airport newstand this afternoon...

I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling about the tone of the article. Unless they were using extreme sarcasm, it didn't portray the Marauder's behavior in a good way.

There's a mention of the Marauder in Car&Driver's review of the Nissan Titan truck... again, not terribly favorable although not completely openly antagonistic...

Anyone have a link to this story?

Here ya go!

Originally posted by SergntMac
    Anyone have a link to this story?
    Long Term Test Car: Mercury Marauder Sept. 2003

Search their site by "Marauder" to see the March and May articles or find the links under "Test Summary" at the bottom.
    Last edited by MM03MOK; 10-09-2003 at 05:15 PM.
    MOK

|Administrator, MM.Net | International Director of Membership|

--------------------------

I don't brake for curves!

The eyes may be the doorway to the soul,

but the voice is the chariot to the heavens

Thanks, Bunny!

For the short piece that it is, it's more complement than not. I suppose it's easy to overlay one's own opinion over the text, but the article is honestly written, about a bone stock MM.

HeHeHe...I'd love to strip my Kenny brown trim, and sneak my Marauder S into the driver's parking space. Wouldn't you love to read his report on that..."After 8000, the car wakes up and....Holy *****!" LOL...

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Originally posted by TripleTransAm

There's a mention of the Marauder in Car&Driver's review of the Nissan Titan truck... again, not terribly favorable although not completely openly antagonistic...
    Why would they mention the Marauder in a review of the Titan pickup?

I thought both articles in PM were really good. I even learned a few new facts about the MM. Their gas mileage at 14-20 is not representative of mine and many others. I now get 22+ with my UD, Denso and Stat driving to work on the interstat at 70-80 mph and blasts to 90+. I have gotten as high as 24. I never got below 18 mpg even with a heavy foot.

Glenn
    Last edited by Glenn; 10-09-2003 at 11:28 PM.
    Trilogy #124 SOLD - 8/2014
    11.80 @ 117.16 MPH: SSHS9
    1.74 sec - 60'
    443 RWHP/437 RWTQ
    "Stock Internal Engine" - Click Below

TripleTransAm Guest
    That link posted is not the article I read earlier yesterday. That one complained of pulling to one side occasionally, which was "corrected by the Honda incident in that the car now pulls all the time" (approximate paraphrasing by myself). Also mentioned a sticking door, also aggravated by the incident. Other stuff. And, no I'm not overlaying any of my own opinions of the car over the text.

About the Titan article in CD, they refer to the 1/4 mile acceleration trap speed being about as fast as a Marauder, but then they make a mention of the ET actually being a tenth quicker.

There's a new long term report that just came out and its anything but good.

No compliments, no praises, etc... the tone was that the car crashes badly and doesn't get fixed easily.

Here it is, I'll be transferring it word for word via keyboard:

If it doesn't seem like there are many miles on our Marauder since our third installment, it's because it languished in the body shop after its unfortunate incident with a Honda some months back. It also had acquired a propensity to turn to the right under braking, no doubt a result of the accident. Also a result of the accident, the driver's door was difficult to open because it was misaligned by about a quarter-inch. We drove it for a few weeks before we returned it to Ford for another problem: the driver's door refused to open from outside. this was the result of a broken part inside the door-latch mechanism which may or may not have been a sequela of the accident or from the weeks of struggling with the door to get it to open. While it was back in the shop, the Marauder's suspension was realigned. The door now opens more or less correctly and the tendency to pull to the right under braking is gone - it now pulls to the right all the time.

None of this matters. It's cool. It's fast. and it's highly recognizable. The parking lot attendants in our garage argue twice a day over whose turn it is to valet our car. Cabdrivers quake before us, and traffic parts in front of it on the interstate as if it were its near-twin, an unmarked Crown Vic cop car.
    So the gist of this article is that the Marauder crashes badly - repairs are costly and in the end the car is still pulling badly. The high points, according to the author, is that it resembles a cop car so ppl get out of your way on the highway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information