Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam Timing/Degreeing Cams

Cam Timing/Degreeing Cams

Last edited by massacre; 04-10-2011 at 06:17 PM.

^^^
    I read the other thread...im a subscribe to this one and both. Im looking for some good cheap horse power since my Marauder will be a Daily Driver. I got $150 dollars burning a hole in my pocket right now so im a going to seriously get this one done in the next month or so. My JLT just came in the mail last week so hopefully I get get some good power gains for the low before summer hits.

Please proceed....

Quote Originally Posted by musclemerc View Post
    Please proceed....
    Please take your readings and tell me what you come up with.
    Ex Panther Owner

WTH happened to the post Massacre?

Is there a way to stop the piston a TDC while the heads are still intact?
    I would'nt mind removing the timing cover but I dont want to pull the heads.
    Would you be willing to rent me your 18" wheel, and the other tools needed to do a full degree?

Last edited by massacre; 04-10-2011 at 06:16 PM.
    Ex Panther Owner

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,
    Last edited by massacre; 04-10-2011 at 06:15 PM.
    Ex Panther Owner

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    Well I was editing the post and then erased some of it by accident. I will have to type it all out again. I've done it tons of times so that shouldn't be a problem(I typed the last one from memory).

Yes, there is a way to do it with the heads on, it's the easier/better way to do it.
    When I first started this, I thought I could save money by not buying the piston stop, and using the dial indicator to find TDC. What a huge PITA. The spark plug hole is so deep in the head, you have to put a ton of extensions on the indicator, etc. While it is possible, IMHO it's just worth it to get the piston stop. I got one that looks exactly like this. Not sure if this is the exact one but the long stop is so easy to use:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Long-...ht_2349wt_1167

I know, I know, $43 , but it will make it that much easier, and every time you use it, or rent it out, it makes it that much more worth it. This will come in handy if the wheel moves by accident, or if the crank moves a little. The first time I degreed cams, I had to TDC the crank a couple of times due to small issues like this.
    I actually welded an extension on to the end of the one in the link above, that's how deep the plug wells are in the head. Not necessary, but definitely makes it tons easier.

As far as the wheel, I got mine off ebay IIRC, was totally worth it.

I ended up with this one:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/62191/10002/-1

I didn't get mine from Jeg's, but this is a good price, $45. I know it sounds like a lot of money, but when it makes the job take 1/2 as long in total, especially those of you who drive your cars to work, keeping down time to a minimum becomes more important. The 10" wheel was a joke, too small IMHO to be any good at all.

You'll need to get a crank socket, also. I used this one. Again, a tool that just works so well, it is totally worth the money:

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDi...e&kw=POW103050

I'm pretty damn sure that this is the one I used, with the .255 I/D, 3/16ths keyway. I still have the box, I think, I'll double check. This tool is such a dream to use. Slide it over the crank snout, tighten a setscrew, and it's on there. Put the degree wheel on and turn the big knurled nut, it's on there.
    There is a 1/2 drive square on the end, so your breaker bar/ratchet fits right there, and you're on your way.

As far as lending/renting, I'm not sure I feel totally comfortable with that. It's not even like I don't trust you, it's that I don't even lend these tools out to people I know personally. I'll come to their place and have them help me do it, but since the tools are so pricy, I'd be a little concerned about that. Plus a good bit of them have been modified/fabricated by me, yeah I could make more but that's time-consuming, ya know? I just couldn't let my whole kit go like that, I'm sorry if this offends you, but I'm just not the kind of guy to rent stuff over the internet, no matter who it was.
    Thanks for the links, those are well within my reach. The crank tool looks handy to stop the slippage from a socket. I'm gonna order the tools and prepare to do the cam swap with the heads inplace.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,
    Last edited by massacre; 04-10-2011 at 06:16 PM.
    Ex Panther Owner

Glad to see there's so much interest in this subject.

Does anyone still wonder why no one has done a full write-up?
    Ex Panther Owner

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    i dont think its a lack of interest, most dont do cam swaps on these motors, because the gains vs cost of cams+labor does not justify the minimal gains, and unless you find some used cobra cams whos going to spend $1,250 for cams+install labor?
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

I am watching intently and have new cams for ProRauder to install.

Quote Originally Posted by motown marauder View Post
    i dont think its a lack of interest, most dont do cam swaps on these motors, because the gains vs cost of cams+labor does not justify the minimal gains, and unless you find some used cobra cams whos going to spend $1,250 for cams+install labor?
    Well, on most modular forums the member's are holding off on installing LT's and instead doing cam swaps. The gains are there, 20hp installed straight up without any advance and 20~40hp with a full degree/advance.

The cam swap has proven to be the best bang for the buck HP mod.

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Quote Originally Posted by musclemerc View Post
    Well, on most modular forums the member's are holding off on installing LT's and instead doing cam swaps. The gains are there, 20hp installed straight up without any advance and 20~40hp with a full degree/advance.

The cam swap has proven to be the best bang for the buck HP mod.
    well that depends on how many bucks! for a good set of used cams great!....but for bnib $1,250 cams, ill take the long tubes.
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

Quote Originally Posted by motown marauder View Post
    I would agree that PAYING to have the cams degreed is not Bang/Buck effective

If you do it yourself it can be not so much $$ Multi keyway gears about the only big expense If you build engines you need some of the tools anyhoo
    2004 Mercury Marauder 300A Black
    Build date: 9/26/03 552 of 3214 2004's
    105K miles Second Owner. Charcoal interior Heated Seats All stock with Lidio 91/93 Octane tune 14.85@95.63 with 93 tune only. 96 cobra intake cams in the cellar, pondering TR6060 swap.

Pictures

2004 Crown Vic LX 150K Silver Birch with Light flint leather. Auto dim mirror, EATC and steering wheel radio controls. 21mm marauder rear sway bar and wood steering wheel. MM head unit , MM subwoofer coming (really) 04 P-71 80 mm MAF/ airbox 04 p71 zip tube 04 P-71 PCM swap. Heated mirrors with silver birch endcaps coming!!

Pictures

1996 Lincoln Town Car Signature
    Touring Edition 250K 2004 PI 2V swap complete! Sold

Pictures

74 Laguna S-3 Project car Original 400 Small block

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information