Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: tranny

tranny

Hey Guys,

I recently put a K&N CAI and a DR tune on my 2003 MM. Some weird stuff is going on with my transmission. I've searched through the forums and I'm not piecing it together really well. I am by no means a car expert and this is my first car that I've ever modified. Paranoid would be a super word to describe how I feel about this whole thing. Anyway, the transmission shifts a lot harder, which I like, but it seems like its getting stuck in gear or something. I came to a complete stop then attempted to drive forward and It wouldn't go then it like BUCKED on me! I wasn't mashing on the pedal either. Just takin er nice and slow. So that scared the crap out of me. Its done that a couple of times. It also seems like I lose a little power on the low end of the second gear at WOT, but that's the least of my worries. Maryland State emissions couldn't read my computer either but I figured that's because I didn't put the car back to stock. Funny thing about that is they passed me anyway and for FREE! They had no idea what they were doing. So I put the car back to stock tune yesterday and went out to dinner, and the shifts were back being smoother and everything seemed OK. Then I was on my way home and I tried to open her up and she wouldn't get er done. Turned overdrive off still wouldn't get up and move. Slowed down and dropped it into first manually, and she bucked on me again and then it was fine. Drove it to work this morning and I haven't felt any issues. I am very concerned for the transmission. I have about 47000 miles on the car. I'm gonna get all my fluids flushed soon.

So I guess I have two questions:

What the heck is going on with my transmission?

Why couldn't emissions read my computer?

Mind you, I am a total noob to this whole thing. Computers are more of my thing.

Thanks All.

Moving this thread to the Transmissions sub-forum....more eyes will likely see the thread.
    MOK

|Administrator, MM.Net | International Director of Membership|

--------------------------

I don't brake for curves!

The eyes may be the doorway to the soul,

but the voice is the chariot to the heavens

Please change the name of the thread to "Transmission" as well so that CBT doesn't get excited and start cracking tranny jokes.
    Quote Originally Posted by MM03MOK View Post
    Moving this thread to the Transmissions sub-forum....more eyes will likely see the thread.
    Marauderless....

Quote Originally Posted by SAAAAAC` View Post
    Hey Guys,

I recently put a K&N CAI and a DR tune on my 2003 MM. Some weird stuff is going on with my transmission. I've searched through the forums and I'm not piecing it together really well. I am by no means a car expert and this is my first car that I've ever modified. Paranoid would be a super word to describe how I feel about this whole thing. Anyway, the transmission shifts a lot harder, which I like, but it seems like its getting stuck in gear or something. I came to a complete stop then attempted to drive forward and It wouldn't go then it like BUCKED on me! I wasn't mashing on the pedal either. Just takin er nice and slow. So that scared the crap out of me. Its done that a couple of times. It also seems like I lose a little power on the low end of the second gear at WOT, but that's the least of my worries. Maryland State emissions couldn't read my computer either but I figured that's because I didn't put the car back to stock. Funny thing about that is they passed me anyway and for FREE! They had no idea what they were doing. So I put the car back to stock tune yesterday and went out to dinner, and the shifts were back being smoother and everything seemed OK. Then I was on my way home and I tried to open her up and she wouldn't get er done. Turned overdrive off still wouldn't get up and move. Slowed down and dropped it into first manually, and she bucked on me again and then it was fine. Drove it to work this morning and I haven't felt any issues. I am very concerned for the transmission. I have about 47000 miles on the car. I'm gonna get all my fluids flushed soon.

So I guess I have two questions:

What the heck is going on with my transmission?

Why couldn't emissions read my computer?

Mind you, I am a total noob to this whole thing. Computers are more of my thing.

Thanks All.
    Check the tranny fluid. Does it look dark and smell burnt? If so a flush won't do a thing to fix the problem.

I'd try reflashing the tune.

The CAI wouldn't make you tranny behave like that. Are you sure everything is connected after installing the CAI?
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Make sure everything is connected properly after installing that CAI. I would also disconnect your battery for about 30 minutes to reset the PCM, and see if it doesn't feel any better after.

Transmission fluid is orange not red or pink.

I'm pretty sure CAI is connected up just fine. How could the CAI not being connected properly cause this issue?

Battery cable is pulled. I'll test it later.

Transmission fluid is orange not red or pink.

I'm pretty sure CAI is connected up just fine. How could the CAI not being connected properly cause this issue?

Battery cable is pulled. I'll test it later.
    It's not the CAI connected it's the MAF connector. Also make sure the MAF is in the same orientation as in the original setup.

Tranny fluid should be red.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

If he returned it to stock and its fine, the problem is the tune.
    Do not confuse the poor guy.

No problems before the tune right?

The tune you got you made sure you told them what you do and do not have for changes on the engine correct? Proper gears and so forth?

You always start from where the changes began. Check out the CAI system you installed and make sure no air is being sucked through anywhere but the air filter. If you can not find any problems there then look into the tune part and ask who you got it from what it is set up for.

And that Tranny fluid should be pink and should not have a burnt smell. Compair the smell with a new bottle of tranny fluid if you need it to tell the difference seeing your a NEWbe to all of this.

When you reprogram a PCM it does still take it time to learn how to intigrate all of the changes and make it work it's best.

Bought Her for my 40th B Day in August of 2004 @ Crest Lincoln Mercury
    Assembled 12/17/2003
    #1183 of a build of 3214
    and is #379 of 1237

Link to Mod's and car:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...o=view&id=8832

Link to Pictures of the Kids/Animals, Cars I have built or a hand in building as well as cars and trucks I have owned.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...php?albumid=16

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    It's not the CAI connected it's the MAF connector. Also make sure the MAF is in the same orientation as in the original setup.

Tranny fluid should be red.
    So Is it safe to flush the transmission?

MAF cable connector is on top. Is that the correct orientation? I still don't understand how airflow has anything to do with the car bucking or getting stuck in gears.

My car runs rough at idle and the first thing I am going to check when I get home is the air flow. I thought airflow right when I felt the rough idle.
    So Is it safe to flush the transmission?

MAF cable connector is on top. Is that the correct orientation? I still don't understand how airflow has anything to do with the car bucking or getting stuck in gears.
    Marauderless....

^^ While your at it remove and clean the TB with cleaner!

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    If he returned it to stock and its fine, the problem is the tune.
    Do not confuse the poor guy.
    Ding Ding Ding. It's the tune, I would contact DR and talk to him about it.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

I'm going to investigate the tune more before I freak out about the transmission.

Contact DR, have him look over your tune to make sure things are correct.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information