Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trilogy Pulleys

Trilogy Pulleys

I've got a few questions about Trilogy pulleys. What PSI pulley are you running? If you have a pulley other than the 9.5 PSI, did you run with the 9.5 PSI pulley first, or did you install the kit with a higher PSI pulley from the get-go? If you swapped pulleys after install, was there a big difference? I'm thinking it's gonna be kinda hard to leave MVIII without something extra for the MM...
    2003 Marauder 300A
    Trilogy Supercharger Serial #0054
    Installed by Carfixer 10/16/2004

Tallboy's Garage

MARAUDER S/C #5 Guest
    Get the K&N kit, it adds up to 20 rwhp and also raises the boost!
    Btw, I have the stock 9.5 pulley which is plenty for me because I want my motor to last.
    Last edited by MARAUDER S/C #5; 04-20-2005 at 05:57 PM.

Talking What?

I have the stock 9.5 pulley which is plenty for me because I want my motor to last (Quote)For as many times as your car sees the light of day that should be no problem!J/K

Bradley G
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

MI2QWK4U Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy
    I've got a few questions about Trilogy pulleys. What PSI pulley are you running? If you have a pulley other than the 9.5 PSI, did you run with the 9.5 PSI pulley first, or did you install the kit with a higher PSI pulley from the get-go? If you swapped pulleys after install, was there a big difference? I'm thinking it's gonna be kinda hard to leave MVIII without something extra for the MM...

I went right from stock to buck wild, in fact I may have had the small pully included with the kit.

I don't believe that Trilogy will sell anyone their supercharger kit with anything else other than the standard 9.5 PSI pulley, since that's what they told me at the time that I purchased their kit for my car. However, for what it's worth, it's also my understanding that the smallest pulley available for these superchargers (which is the 2.8" one that yields 13+ PSI of boost) is the only one that requires a custom tuning change from Lidio. The Trilogy kit comes with the 3.4" pulley (which is what I've stayed with), and if you want more boost than 9.5/10.PSI, then you can purchase the 3.2", 3.0" (which I don't believe would require a tuning change), and ofcourse there's the 2.8" pulley that requires a dyno tune.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGman
    I don't believe that Trilogy will sell anyone their supercharger kit with anything else other than the standard 9.5 PSI pulley, since that's what they told me at the time that I purchased their kit for my car. However, for what it's worth, it's also my understanding that the smallest pulley available for these superchargers (which is the 2.8" one that yields 13+ PSI of boost) is the only one that requires a custom tuning change from Lidio. The Trilogy kit comes with the 3.4" pulley (which is what I've stayed with), and if you want more boost than 9.5/10.PSI, then you can purchase the 3.2", 3.0" (which I don't believe would require a tuning change), and ofcourse there's the 2.8" pulley that requires a dyno tune.
    Didn't Dave [TechHeavy] have Lidio install his blower with a smaller pulley already on it?

I'm asking because I don't remember if he added it later or not...
    2003 Marauder 300A

Tallboy's Garage

Didn't Dave [TechHeavy] have Lidio install his blower with a smaller pulley already on it?

I'm asking because I don't remember if he added it later or not...
    Yes, as have others too. But it's Lidio who's making that transaction with the customer when they choose a smaller pulley, and NOT Trilogy. I'm not implying that there's neccessarily anything wrong with Lidio's practice at all. In fact, I have absolutely nothing negative to say about Lidio whatsoever. Lidio is the man when it comes to tuning the supercharged 4.6L engine as far as I'm concerned. (be it Trilogy equipped or not).

But when you order the Trilogy kit, and have it sent to your residence Like I have, it will only come with the standard 3.4" 9.5 PSI pulley. Unless Jerry Barnes has recently changed his policy on that, that's the only way that you can get it directly from Trilogy. And it comes with that pulley already installed on the supercharger. When Lidio receives customers' Trilogy kits, he removes that 3.4" standard Trilogy pulley, and installs another size IF the customer in question has chosen a smaller pulley. It doesn't come from Trilogy with the smaller ones.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGman
    Yes, as have others too. But it's Lidio who's making that transaction with the customer when they choose a smaller pulley, and NOT Trilogy. I'm not implying that there's neccessarily anything wrong with Lidio's practice at all. In fact, I have absolutely nothing negative to say about Lidio whatsoever. Lidio is the man when it comes to tuning the supercharged 4.6L engine as far as I'm concerned. (be it Trilogy equipped or not).

But when you order the Trilogy kit, and have it sent to your residence Like I have, it will only come with the standard 3.4" 9.5 PSI pulley. Unless Jerry Barnes has recently changed his policy on that, that's the only way that you can get it directly from Trilogy. And it comes with that pulley already installed on the supercharger. When Lidio receives customers' Trilogy kits, he removes that 3.4" standard Trilogy pulley, and installs another size IF the customer in question has chosen a smaller pulley. It doesn't come from Trilogy with the smaller ones.
    "I see." [Said the blind man as he pissed into the wind]

"It all comes back to me now..."

Thanks, Billy! I get it now, the blower comes from Trilogy with the 9.5 pulley on it, but you can buy a smaller one and install it yourself if you like.
    2003 Marauder 300A

Tallboy's Garage

MikesMerc Guest
    "I see." [Said the blind man as he pissed into the wind]

"It all comes back to me now..."

Thanks, Billy! I get it now, the blower comes from Trilogy with the 9.5 pulley on it, but you can buy a smaller one and install it yourself if you like.
    Billy summed it up pretty well for you!

However, I will note that Lidio will indeed want to special tune your car for any other pulley besides the stock 3.4. If you insist, he sometimes lets the 3.2 go on without to much resistence. But the 3.0 and 2.8....you need the tune.

The main reason is fuel delivery. At the boost (and respective horsepower levels) with the 3.0 and 2.8, a close eye needs to be placed on the air/fuel ratio. Not all fuel pumps are created equal and Lidio does not take chances with the variables.

I've stayed with the 3.0 pulley making 12.5 psi and that's plenty for me. At this point, moving to the 2.8 pulley would require a new Focus fuel pump.

Roughly speaking:
    3.4: 9.5 PSI
    3.2: 11 PSI
    3.0 12.5 PSI
    2.8 13.5 PSI

Of course exhaust upgrades and intake path mods effect boost levels as well.

How much are these smaller pulleys?

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

MikesMerc Guest
    They are not cheap. About $125 I think. They are custom milled and very nice peices. I just wish they were cheaper.

BTW, if anyone wants, I have do a 3.2 pulley that I'd be willing to part with for a fair (and inexpensive) price. Definitely cheaper than a new pulley

Sounds like good info Mike. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    In my kit Lidio told me I could go with a 3.2 pully which gives a added 1 lb of boost to 10.5 and adds 20 RWHP & 20 RWTQ. Cost about $160. Or you can go for a K & N cold air kit for around $250 or so and got the same 1 lb boost, either one or the other with out changing the tune. . But it you want both you must get a custom tune.

This isn't going to be a popular post that I'm writing, but I'm making the following statements out of concern for my fellow Marauder owners, so please keep that in mind......

I cannot help but to thing that if ANY intake modification really makes a true and not imagined difference, then it will require a specific engine tune for that modification. If your intake, or cold air kit is actually makig more power to the rear wheels that can be felt when you step on the gas pedal, then it's doing so by increasing the air flow. But IF the airflow has been significantly increased, then how is it that the air/fuel ratio wouldn't then be different?

Because if that's really the case, then you actually added more air without adding more fuel to the mix. Right? And that is known as a lean condition. How do you guys who have the aftermarket intake sytems who swear that your cars are faster as a result, who have also NOT had the engine re-tuned,know that the only reason why the car is faster with the new air intake kit, isn't simply because the engine is now running leaner? Remember, that leaner will often cause an increase of power, but will often be accomapnied by an increased probability of pinging, and that's real bad for engine longevity.

Have any of you intake upgrade customers who have NOT had the engine re-tuned ever brought your cars to get dyno tested, and had an air/fuel ratio test done AFTER the ait intake mod was installed? If not, then you had better do that!!!! Again, I write this out of concern for you guys. I'm not trying to start an argument, or knock anyone's car. And BTW, this issue is particularly most important to the supercharged Marauder owners, but certainly not limited to them alone.

I've just been informed by a vendor of this board that a certain company who offers a certain air intake upgrade fopr our Marauder stringy suggests an engine re-tune immediately after their product has been installed. And yet a friend of mine on this board who has installed that same mod on his Marauder has not had that done, and was fully unaware of that recommendation. BTW, that same person has also been experiencing some intermitten minor symptoms with his Marauder that can indicate a lean condition.
    Last edited by BillyGman; 04-19-2005 at 08:51 PM.

MikesMerc Guest
    The thing to remember is that the computer can adjust the Air/Fuel ratio to a small degree on the fly. That's what the mass air meter does. It "measures" air flow into the motor so the computer knows how much fuel to deliver via injector cycle duty (injector pulse length) and uses the O2 sensors to measure the results. When changes to the air flow path are made, the computer can compensate. This is why mass air meter cars are MUCH easier to mod than the speed density cars (which use static fuel delivery tables that are derived by the engineers who "assume" how much air flow is occuring based on engine rpm). This is what made the old 5.0L mustangs so much fun to mod. Intakes, heads, and ehaust could all be modded and the computer just compensated.

The reason custom tunes for basic air path upgrades is recommended is just inorder to maximize, or fine tune, the tune A custom tune can usually do better. But a custom tune becomes much more important under forced induction conditions. With a supercharger the computer is still measuring mass air volumes and adjusting air/fuel ratios on its own, but the custom tune "overrides" the preset air/fuel ratio targets the computer is trying to achieve. Stock air/fuel ratios under forced induction would be dangerous. For those NA folks with bolt ons, the computer will essentially hande the job on its own as the OEM target air/fuel ratios are good to go in NA applications. That's not to say a custom tune wouldn't be better....a custom tune that addresses ALL the variables is almost always better.
    Last edited by MikesMerc; 04-20-2005 at 05:07 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information