Thread: Air bags over inflated

Air bags over inflated

I can't figure this one out, i was driving my car and everything was fine i pulled in my driveway and left in running then headed back out. i noticed my car was driving all bouncy in the rear, the suspension was real stiff and the air compessor was still pumping. i pulled over and noticed my rear was about 2 to 3 inches too high. i quickly turned off the pump by the switch in the trunk and drove it home. the air bags still will not deflate. how do they relase pressure? a valve or leveling sensor? please help!!!

Turn the switch back on, start the car and open and close the drivers door. After a bit it should vent to the proper height.

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

Quote Originally Posted by larryo340 View Post
    Turn the switch back on, start the car and open and close the drivers door. After a bit it should vent to the proper height.
    Now that is interesting.

I have no idea. How is the driver's door related to the air bags?

Quote Originally Posted by Shora View Post
    Now that is interesting.

I have no idea. How is the driver's door related to the air bags?
    It uses it as an input to let the module know that the weight has changed, by someone getting in or out of the car. The other doors may work as well, I don't remember exactly it's been awhile since I worked for Ford/Lincoln/Mecury

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

It uses it as an input to let the module know that the weight has changed, by someone getting in or out of the car. The other doors may work as well, I don't remember exactly it's been awhile since I worked for Ford/Lincoln/Mecury
    Goodness, they are making things more complicated than they need be.

Thanks for the info bud.

Details on RAS operation:
    http://www.crownvic.net/drock96marquis/RAS.htm

The bags will NOT deflate automatically until the system service input has battery voltage (switch on, closing circuit)

You do not have to start it but you need to turn the ignition to RUN, venting will not start until at least 45 seconds. As larry said, you want the driver's door to be cycled once after the module has been turned on (I'd open and close it after turning the ignition as well) to vent to trim height. (the door input(s) are used to disable venting with door open, so it cannot catch a curb)

• Even if a vehicle is extremely high in the rear, DO NOT expect it to vent until the ignition switch has been turned to RUN for 45 seconds.
    If the compressor immediately begins running with the ignition in RUN and continues to run, despite the very high ride height, suspect the linear height sensor. Check the linkage / mounting on it first.
    Last edited by Drock96Marquis; 02-07-2009 at 10:46 PM.
    -My Homepage and Panther tech-

My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis Supercharged LSE -
    Modifications
    Click My Merc for more Pics!

Um...close.

A door open (any door as long as the interior light comes on) will not allow inflation or deflation of the airbags due to safety reasons. Once all doors are closed the sensor is reactivated to "judge" the ride height of the car. Then it inflates and deflates accordingly as long as they key is in the "on" position.

As far as the over-inflation, I would have to recommend that someone from the site give more info about the switch operation itself. It may need some sort of cleaning or maybe needs replacing.
    1970 Mercury Cougar Convertible
    2008 Mazda CX-9 (the wife's ride)

If the car kept going up until max height, suspect the height sensor. It is located directly above the rear axle to the left (driver's side) of center. The switch is attached to the frame and has an arm that runs down to the left side Watts link arm. Both ends of the linkage have ball end connectors. Usually they don't fall off unless something hits them, but they have been known to break, especially it seems when "crabbing" over a steep driveway. The switch senses too high or too low by the movement of the linkage. The lower end attached to the Watts link is adjustable by loosening 2 (different size) small bolts. Then move the end side to side until proper height is set.

If the linkage is broken, it will be visable.
    His: Blue w/Light Flint Born 02/05/03 (Wednesday)
    6674 of 7838, Color sequence 102 of 327

1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    6 CD Changer in Trunk
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Real Oil Press Guage w/MM Face
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

Nephews: Blue w/Light Flint
    Born 02/05/03
    6673 of 7838, 101 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 Without Heated Seats
    Cars purchased 7 years apart, but are only 20 VIN numbers apart. Sequential units on the assembly line.

Hers: Black 300A w/Charcoal Born 06/25/02 (Tuesday)
    2011 of 7838
    Locking Lugs
    Trunk Organizer
    Real Oil Press Guage w/MM Face
    Factory Alarm
    Marauder Side Emblems
    Rear Bumper Inserts

#4 (Pound Rescue Marauder) 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    120 of 328 DBP 1 of 217 with heated seats.
    6705 of 7838 2003's
    Built Friday 02-07-2003
    Bought 09-10-2012

#5 2003 DBP/Light Flint
    136 of 327 Blues 1 of 111 W/O Heated Seats
    6741 of 7838 2003's
    Built Tuesday 02-11-2003
    Bought 05-06-14

thanks guys im trying the door thing now and ill see what happens, so this sesnor is a dealer item prob. does anyone know a part number or how much. should i worry about my air bags blowing i wish there was a way i could just release the pressure because now i hafta wait till tomorro with my merc drag car lol

thanks vegasmarauder i went underneath and noticed the arm was off on one side i reattached it and all is well, simple fix

Thread Information