Thread: Starter failures and remote starters?

TripleTransAm Guest

Question Starter failures and remote starters?

Is there a link between those with starter failures and those who have remote starters? If so, Ford remote starters or not?

Just wondering... my remote starter works fine, but gives me the slightest impression of remaining engaged just a tad too long... for my tastes, anyway. I'm wondering if excessive engagement time might lead to some of the starter failures I've read about.

TTA: I liked the Ford brand remote start because the new RKE fob directly replaced the original one and I do not need to carry to fobs on my key chain.

Mine unit does not seem to be over-cranking the car. Time will tell as to reliability. I sure wish I knew what caused the fuse to blow, so I could add more on that issue here.

Eff: Yes, the stereo monkeys did the install notwithstanding the Ford branding of the part. Blue butt connectors?? I wish. I looked under the dash after I bought the car. They didn't even use power taps! Just sliced off some insulation, wrapped the wires for the remote start onto the exposed wire and used electrical tape around the whole thing. The work brought me back to my youth (when i was about LML's age) when I could (and did) fix anything and everything with tape.

oh-no,,the dreaded black tape
    Pearl Blue 300B,Born 11/25/02
    4.10 Gears,Stallion Converter
    Jerry W. Tranny Mod
    SCT Pro Racer Package,Tuned by myself
    180* Stat/Denso IT20's
    Steeda Underdrive Pulleys/SFI Dampner
    Dual Cobra Fuel Pumps
    Amsoil Series 2000 0w30
    Factory Spoiler,Silver/Grey Pinstriping
    35%Tint Front,Back,Rear
    Bob White Reflective FordBlue Inserts
    Pioneer TSA-6870's All Around
    "Real" Oil Pressure&Boost Gauges
    P.I. Driveshaft
    Modifyed TailLights
    Custom NY plates-MARAWDR
    Worlds First Kenne Bell Supercharged Marauder
    456rwhp,435rwtq @ 10lbs
    And of course...ZAINO!!!

Damn, marty...you should make them rip it all out, give you your money back, and have a good ricer stereo shop re-install it. They might drive ridiculous cars, but they sure know how to do pristine wiring...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

TripleTransAm Guest
    Originally posted by martyo
    TTA: I liked the Ford brand remote start because the new RKE fob directly replaced the original one and I do not need to carry to fobs on my key chain.

Nor do I, with my aftermarket dealer-installed unit. The replacement fobs incorporated all the existing Ford fob functions (FFF?) yet added the remote start ability and the control over the ignition kill.

I wouldn't go so far as to call my remote starter's operation "over-cranking" but I personally would have let go of the ignition about 0.5-1 second (I just timed it) sooner, had I cranked it manually. Even though I've seen people 'over-crank' this long or longer on manual starts throughout the years on other cars, I was wondering if this could be an issue on our cars.

TripleTransAm Guest

Question

Originally posted by RF Overlord
    They might drive ridiculous cars, but they sure know how to do pristine wiring...

Why would anyone want their remote-starter wiring on display under a plexiglass panel with neatly-aligned gold plated connectors????

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Originally posted by martyo
    Eff: Yes, the stereo monkeys did the install notwithstanding the Ford branding of the part. Blue butt connectors?? I wish. I looked under the dash after I bought the car. They didn't even use power taps! Just sliced off some insulation, wrapped the wires for the remote start onto the exposed wire and used electrical tape around the whole thing. The work brought me back to my youth (when i was about LML's age) when I could (and did) fix anything and everything with tape.
    I've seen some appalling work passed off as "professional" as well.
    Amasing these places stay in business

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    Why would anyone want their remote-starter wiring on display under a plexiglass panel with neatly-aligned gold plated connectors????
    ROFL!

You're right...marty doesn't need all that...maybe what he needs is quad 1-farad capacitors with double-aught wiring...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

TripleTransAm Guest
    Originally posted by RF Overlord
    maybe what he needs is quad 1-farad capacitors with double-aught wiring...

Is that what they are? I always thought they were canisters of ballast to keep the cars from flipping end-over-end due to the Sears-Tower-caliber big-a$$ wings on their trunklids...

I use those capacitors to keeo the young'ns away from my MM. Remember vibrating coils? One uninvited touch to the car and ZAPPPPP!!!!!!

Thread Information