Thread: Rough idle

Rough idle

I had a rough idle this morning when I started the car, ( '04 300A black MM, ). It smoothed out a bit while moving, but still felt a little ragged , especially on the freeway.

Yesterday I pulled the passenger side coil cover and pulled each coil off to inspect the spark plugs for tightness, as last year I had a loose plug in the second cylinder back from the front. Not finding any loose, I replaced the coil cover and buttoned every thing back up. I thought I had snapped every coil connector back on every plug, I am running the Granitelli stainless ones, but now I have doubts.

Any thoughts? I had a little ragged type running from the engine lately, when commuting, especially on the return trip,which led me to check if any loose plugs, but not this rough idle. car has 44k miles so plugs are original. using a Dennis Reinhart tune.

I've had a rough idle for months, replaced and cleaned lots of stuff, never could track it down and nothing turned up on the diagnostical machine. No one seems to be able to notice but me

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

Try checking vacuum lines off the intake lid. I had a rough idle when one loosened up.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Rough Idle disappears

No rough idle when I left work, nor this morning. I did'nt remove the negative battery cable sunday when I before pulling the coils , so maybe there was a computer related issue that resolved itself between the drive in yesterday A.M. and P.M. drive home

There still is something at freeway speeds, such as a surge or some type of a glitch, not sure if it may be a trans mission sensor or other. I will check the vaccum lines though.

Did you use a Di-Electric Grease on the coil pack's?

Quote Originally Posted by walela1 View Post
    No rough idle when I left work, nor this morning. I did'nt remove the negative battery cable sunday when I before pulling the coils , so maybe there was a computer related issue that resolved itself between the drive in yesterday A.M. and P.M. drive home

There still is something at freeway speeds, such as a surge or some type of a glitch, not sure if it may be a trans mission sensor or other. I will check the vaccum lines though.
    I don't know about anyone else but I never reconect anything to a spark plug without Di-Electric Grease especialy with the super high voltage of cars coils now a day's. Electricity love's to find week spot's to jump through on it's way to a spark plug and the grease seriously helps to make a great connection to the plug and helps with conductivity as well as making it a lot easier to take wire's and coil's off of them and back on as well.

In that small area it is easy for the spark to jump to the wall's of the spark plug chamber so it is a posability that some of the spark is arching to the wall and not all of it going to the plug if the boot's are original on the coil's.

Bought Her for my 40th B Day in August of 2004 @ Crest Lincoln Mercury
    Assembled 12/17/2003
    #1183 of a build of 3214
    and is #379 of 1237

Link to Mod's and car:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...o=view&id=8832

Link to Pictures of the Kids/Animals, Cars I have built or a hand in building as well as cars and trucks I have owned.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...php?albumid=16

Get rid of the Granatelli's! If they aren't the problem, I would bet they will be a problem sooner than later! I bought those and was not happy at all and I tell anyone here don't waste your money. Two COP's failed at approx. 15,000 mi. Went back to OEM's, which are said to be the best offering even for supercharged applications. Ofcourse, this is my opinion
    Last edited by RF Overlord; 07-30-2009 at 06:46 AM.

Change your plugs

If problem still persists, try returning your stock tune

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

Might be a bit early at 44K, but take a look at the throttle body for build up. Dealt with my dealer for several months till one of the techs pulled the TB and found a mess. This started at 55K and they found the problem at a 65K. Idles great now. Randy.

I've had the "Granatelli's" for over 3 years and never had a problem!! 116,000 miles on them with the blower!!

OEM's caused me mis-fires and I'd never go back to them!!
    No Marauder

What the difference in performance from stock to granatelli? Be cause iam thinking of getting msd's dual coil packs. Answers any one?

Any follow up?????

That's what happened to me, and then the fuel pump went out. Anyway, changed it out , problem solved. But I'm not saying that's your problem but consider it "maybe"?

eric jones, he said he has the Granatelli coil CONNECTORS, not the COPs. There is nothing wrong with their coil connectors.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by LeoVampire View Post
    I don't know about anyone else but I never reconect anything to a spark plug without Di-Electric Grease especialy with the super high voltage of cars coils now a day's. Electricity love's to find week spot's to jump through on it's way to a spark plug and the grease seriously helps to make a great connection to the plug and helps with conductivity as well as making it a lot easier to take wire's and coil's off of them and back on as well.

In that small area it is easy for the spark to jump to the wall's of the spark plug chamber so it is a posability that some of the spark is arching to the wall and not all of it going to the plug if the boot's are original on the coil's.

As stated this VERY important!

The grease is a Dielectric conductor/insulator. At very close range/point of contact it actually increases conductivity. As distance increases so does the resistance to the flow of electricity. It also seals out any moisture which could also contribute to a short.
    I've been using this stuff for over thirty years now and it really does work AND is VERY important to use on the spark plug terminals.
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    eric jones, he said he has the Granatelli coil CONNECTORS, not the COPs. There is nothing wrong with their coil connectors.
    ^^^+10^^^
    No Marauder

Thread Information