Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needs opinions on rear spoiler

Needs opinions on rear spoiler

Hi, I'm new here so I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.
    I recently bought a 2003 black Marauder. While reading a factory sales brochure from 2003 I saw where it said you could get an "optional dealer installed rear spoiler" Correct me if I'm wrong but I take this to mean that they did not come from the factory with rear spoilers? The 2004 brochure says the same thing.
    I've been drooling over Marauders for about 10 years now and have only ever seen one type of rear spoiler. Mine has got a rear spoiler on it that I assumed was put on by the previous owner because it does not match all the other Marauder spoilers. When going thru the car's paperwork I found the original window sticker and the additional window sticker that shows the addition of a sun roof, wheel locks and a rear spoiler.
    So my quest for the opinions of everyone is, do I leave this dealer installed spoiler on it to preserve the authenticity of the car or do I put the typical Marauder spoiler on it?
    I'm curious as to what people think.
    Attached is a pic of the current spoiler. I can't get the pic of the dealer sticker to load right. sorry.
    Thanks for your thoughts!

IMG_5634.jpg

As far as I know That is not it.
    2003 Mercury Marauder- Stock with 223k miles.

2000 Crown Victoria P73. Deep Wedge Wood Blue.
    SW longtube headers and high flow cats, magnaflow mufflers, 3.55 gears w/track lock, 70mm Aviator TB, PnP factory plenum, ADTR intake tube, 87 octaine tune by MO. Bilstein HD shocks, Mecto Rear control arms w/ watts link, Addco custom order 1.5 inch front sway bar (38mm), 1.25 inch rear bar 31.75mm (only 11 made).

It won't make a difference in terms of preserving the value of the MM. The dealer spoiler is the one pictured below, but it's your car and you can make it the way you like.
    Last edited by Ambitious1; 11-28-2020 at 09:42 AM.

That was one of the two optional spoilers that I recall. It just wasn’t the popular choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

My buddy Eric from Blue Springs has that spoiler on his black 04 Mercury Marauder.

What are the odds of two Erics living in KC buying Marauders with the same spoiler. LMAO

EBay sells a prepainted mm spoiler that you are looking for, unfortunately your current spoiler will leave holes drilled in the decklid.

You could have the holes filled and have the whole deck lid repainted and you can paint a non painted spoiler at the same time if you want to go that route. Or you could just buy the one on eBay painted and put painted black plugs in the decklid
    The twins2.3 whipple/aluminatorVortech V-2 lots of goodies

Current marauders
    04 DTR totaled JUST NOW starting to part out 7-21-2021 https://youtu.be/REUxjP1BVpg

04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop Whipple Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Hardtop V2 Supercharger
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal Converted
    03 DBP Light Flint #122
    03 DBP Dark Charcoal #232
    03 Silver Birch 300b Light Flint Going to fix er up
    03 Black 300a
    04 Silver Birch Dark Charcoal moonroof in the works

04 Heaton Swapped DTR
    Joe's Wrecked DTR rebuild thread

OMG that is funny!

Yes I have not seen many if any with that spoiler on it but that's interesting if they gave people and option to pick from. Thanks for the input!

I don't recall there being 2 spoilers available from Ford. It is also possible that the dealer installed an aftermarket spoiler. Either way I would leave it as is, but to each his own.
    1963 Marauder S-55, Super Marauder 406
    Only factory 406 powered Marauder, and earliest built Marauder documented to still exist.
    https://sites.google.com/a/wmich.edu/supermarauder/
    ______________________________ _____________

First retailed 2003 Marauder
    Bought 6 June 2002

Arrow

kirk - I don't recall there being 2 spoilers available from Ford.
    There was only 1(one) spoiler, in 3(three) coatings, listed on the FoMoCo Vehicle Personalization Accessories catalog in 2003 and 2004 for the Marauder (as well as the Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis - they all shared the same trunk/deck lid).

2W7Z-5444210-AAA - Spoiler, Rear (PRIMED)
    2W7Z-5444210-AAB - Spoiler, Rear (BLACK)
    2W7Z-5444210-AAC - Spoiler, Rear (DARK PEARL BLUE)

It is also possible that the dealer installed an aftermarket spoiler.
    Or ... Other Vehicle Personalization rear spoiler offering from another FoMoCo model that year.

I don't suppose you could even get an actual spoiler from the dealer anymore could you? After seeing how many holes it takes to put on the new on and having to fix the old holes I may be better off just leaving well enough alone. Unless the planets align and I could find a deck lid from a deceased Marauder.
    Thanks again guys! Lots of good information!

IIRC....Barry (cruztaker) had that type spoiler on his Marauder.
    It is not the OEM Ford spoiler (s) listed above.
    I wouldn't remove your spoiler for the OEM spoiler...too much trouble and yours looks fine.
    BTW: I ordered this: 2W7Z-5444210-AAB - Spoiler, Rear (BLACK) way back when and did the install myself.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Blog Entries
    spoiler - "a person or thing that spoils something." or "a flap on the wing of an aircraft or glider that can be projected in order to create drag and so reduce speed."
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Arrow

Eric - I don't suppose you could even get an actual spoiler from the dealer anymore could you?
    -correct- it's been discontinued *The last time it showed-up in an accessories catalog was 2010.

...Unless the planets align and I could find a deck lid from a deceased Marauder.
    Doesn't have to be a Marauder - any 1998+ Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis has the same trunk/deck lid.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Hi, I'm new here so I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.
    I recently bought a 2003 black Marauder. While reading a factory sales brochure from 2003 I saw where it said you could get an "optional dealer installed rear spoiler" Correct me if I'm wrong but I take this to mean that they did not come from the factory with rear spoilers? The 2004 brochure says the same thing.
    I've been drooling over Marauders for about 10 years now and have only ever seen one type of rear spoiler. Mine has got a rear spoiler on it that I assumed was put on by the previous owner because it does not match all the other Marauder spoilers. When going thru the car's paperwork I found the original window sticker and the additional window sticker that shows the addition of a sun roof, wheel locks and a rear spoiler.
    So my quest for the opinions of everyone is, do I leave this dealer installed spoiler on it to preserve the authenticity of the car or do I put the typical Marauder spoiler on it?
    I'm curious as to what people think.
    Attached is a pic of the current spoiler. I can't get the pic of the dealer sticker to load right. sorry.
    Thanks for your thoughts!

IMG_5634.jpg
    That looks like an aftermarket spoiler to me. But I think it looks ok. Was never keen with the way the Impala SS and Marauder had the OEM spoiler option that just ever so slightly elongated the trunk but with a notched area for the Mercury logo.
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

Then you have the rare Roush Bondurant spoiler
    '04 MARAUDER
    Born on 4/20/04 -- Foster Care on 5/11/04 -- Adopted on 01/27/05
    Heated Seats 6 Disc CD Changer Moonroof
    JLT CAI--Silverstars Heads/Fogs--SCT-9100
    SB IX - SB X - SB XIII - SB XIV - SB XL - SB XLIII
    Trilogy S/C In Due Time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information