Thread: Fell in love with my P71, lead to buying a Marauder

Fell in love with my P71, lead to buying a Marauder

I've had a LOT of Fords. Mostly classics. I'm big into Torinos and Fairlanes but a few years ago sold my 1970 Fairlane to fund grad school.
    I kept a 68 convertible but with its 302 it was anemic compared to the 460 in the car I sold. I've had a boosted 2.3 93 mustang notch, a 429 F100 unibody,
    a 70 Torino wagon, a pile of Jeep Cherokees and a bunch of other weird DDs. The one I missed the most was a triple black 1970 Torino hard top that
    had a 466/C6 trac loc. It was flawless and fast and I was a dumbass and drove it into a tree totaling it.

The black Torino and my 04 P71 led to me shopping for a bargain Marauder (did I mention I am a broke teacher).

I scored the 04 P71 when I was commuting an hour to my previous job and needed a good highway car. My buddy sold it to me. He bought it at auction in SC. It has carpet, no holes in the interior and I added a bunch of cosmetic upgrades like white face gauges, carbon fiber interior trim, a continental shifter and console (column shifter deleted) and a bunch of other stuff including a bunch of different wheel combos. It's been a phenomenal car. I want to mod it but even the CVN guys say you can't make them fast unless you spend a million dollars. This had me looking at a manual swap or a Mercury Marauder.

After looking at cars and Tremec 3650s for a few months I was on spring break and decided to get serious. I missed a few really nice SB cars and a super clean DTR. Black kept nagging at me as that Torino was so pretty. I finally found an 03 in Kentucky 6 hours away. The CL ad showed a fairly ricey 03 but I could get it for $6500 and the guy was willing to meet half way to sell it. I figured I could fix the cosmetic stuff if the car was clean inside and ran well

here's the ad pics. Asking price was $7500

Last week I went and got the car. The inside is perfect and everything works
    except the gauge pod lights and the compass. No heated seats but it's pretty
    well optioned otherwise. It has 144k but feels like 44k when driven. No
    clatter at all. The guy said he used it as his business commuter and wrote off
    all the maintenance. I believe he did maintain the car very well but I would
    have saved all the paperwork so who knows...

It has been repainted but the guy said he only did the whole car because the
    paint was faded and he needed to paint the hood and deck spoiler. From
    what I see it's never been wrecked. The paint the guy used has a slight metal
    flake which I am bummed about as I like a stock car. It's not a huge deal
    because you can barely see it.

After hating on the look of the hood I had to do something to just get rid
    of it. I went to Detroit to a yard that had a few black P71s from the Detroit
    PD fleet. I scored the best one (it was terrible), crammed it in my Cherokee
    and took it home and wet sanded and buffed it out. I also tossed the spoiler
    and temporarily plugged the holes in the trunklid. I bought a silver GMQ decklid to repaint later

So far I love this thing and cannot stop grinning

PS here is a montage of my other Blue oval junk

Welcome to the forum. Nice cars and good choice with the hood. Wasn't going to say anything but you said it first. Did you put the rims on it? Your white P71 has the same rims.

And you took the rear spoiler off. How did they have it attached? Double sided tape?

Very nice! I’ve seen your posts on the FB page as well. Looks clean, I think you did well!

nice Fords

nice job on de-ricing the MM!

Quote Originally Posted by Jtrip View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Nice cars and good choice with the hood. Wasn't going to say anything but you said it first. Did you put the rims on it? Your white P71 has the same rims.

And you took the rear spoiler off. How did they have it attached? Double sided tape?
    The GT500s are moved over from the P71. It was on stock steelies until today. I tossed them on the MM wheels for kicks this afternoon. I like the Gt500s because they are substantially wider.

As for the spoiler, it was attached with sheetmetsal screws passed through 4 half inch holes drilled through the trunk. The trunk is wasted. I just grabbed some plastic Ford body plugs and siliconed them in for now. It looks really bad, but better than that spoiler.

Nice rescue!

Nice collection!

Welcome
    1963 Marauder S-55, Super Marauder 406
    Only factory 406 powered Marauder, and earliest built Marauder documented to still exist.
    https://sites.google.com/a/wmich.edu/supermarauder/
    ______________________________ _____________

First retailed 2003 Marauder
    Bought 6 June 2002

Welcome! Nice save, keep us up to date

Righteous Indignation
    03 300A
    4055 of 7838
    4054 of 7093 in Black.
    Born 8/23/02
    Adopted in 1/15
    SOLD