Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Real AutoMeter oil gauge

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrauder View Post
    isnt there a way to have the org. work?

No

You have to swap out the dummy sender and gauge with both autometer units.
    Buy the auto meter volt gauge as well so the face plates match. New autometer gauges aren’t backlit behind the numbers like OEM was. Only the surrounding bezel is.
    Or if you’re confident, do a faceplate swap with the old OEM oil pressure gauge onto your new autometer one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 510paesan View Post
    No

Buy the auto meter volt gauge as well so the face plates match. New autometer gauges aren’t backlit behind the numbers like OEM was. Only the surrounding bezel is.
    Or if you’re confident, do a faceplate swap with the old OEM oil pressure gauge onto your new autometer one

If your not careful you will ruin one or both of the gauges.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Anybody afraid to mod their gauges can happily send me their new gauge and gauge pod and I'll do a seamless mod. You pay shipping to and fro and toss in a few beer bucks. Takes about an hour. You install the sending unit and it's done.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by 510paesan View Post
    No

Can you show me how to do mine?

2003 300A Black, #4918 of 7838, 17,400 Miles
    Tune, KYB's, JLT, FlowMaster 42441, Res Delete, New BFG's, 8 coats of zymoil Titanium

2003 300B Silver Birch, #21 of 419, 29,800 miles
    Tune, JLT, FlowMaster 42441 Res Delete, New Nitto 235/255 Bigcarsforever dead peddle & custom SRP peddles, 5 coats Zymoil Titanium, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYBs, 1/2 inch coil cut, Sparta Watts link and Control Arms, Carfixer alignment.

2003 CV Sport Matador Red, 19,280 Miles, DD, Curless Full Service Royal flush, Marto Tune, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires, NEW OEM Sport Springs -1 coil & Monroe Severe Duty (front) shocks, Addco front and rear sway bars, KYB rear Shocks, Carfixer Alignment.

2004 CV HPP Silver Birch, 93,000 miles. Son's DD, 18 Chrome Wheels w 235/265 front/back Nitto tires (thank you Lowndex!)

Removing the aluminum ring to access the needle/face is more feel and patience than "tell me how". As I did it I realized how easy it would be to damage or destroy the delicate aluminum. I used a small flat screwdriver and gently slowly pried around the back of the bezel until removal was possible. Swap the internal giblets and slip the lense and bezel over the new gauge. You can use a round screwdriver shank to gently roll the edge of the aluminum back onto the gauge body.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

If it ain't broke - don't fix it. I didn't even learn of the oil gauge 'peccadillo' until after I perused this board for quite awhile. It makes for interesting conversation.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

Quote Originally Posted by 1Marauder View Post
    Can you show me how to do mine?

Absolutely. Although I think there is an old write up in the FAQ section that I followed.
    Otherwise I’d be happy to take a drive up

Quote Originally Posted by Invective View Post
    If it ain't broke - don't fix it. I didn't even learn of the oil gauge 'peccadillo' until after I perused this board for quite awhile. It makes for interesting conversation.
    It's not a matter of it's "broke", the gauge is a glorified idiot light. You either have oil pressure or you don't.

The real gauge will tell you about your engine if you know how to read it.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I can think of a few dozen items that "weren't broke" but I replaced or improved them to make a better and more reliable machine. That comment was very Toyota Camry-like.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Just a warning of what happened to me when swapping guts: My screwdriver slipped and starched the ring noticeably. No fixing that. Also, the orange pointer arrow coating is super easy to damage. I ruined my original and thankfully someone sent me an extra one. But I am glad I did the mod. 10/10 would do it again.
    "Come to me, Superman! I defy you! Come and kneel before Zod! Zod! "

back in my supercoupe days it was common practice to slip a ps60 sender in there and remove the in line resistor to make the stock oil pressure gauge read actual oil pressure on the stock gauge cluster in them cars

no chance of doing that with the marauder?

Bump to see if someone has a copy of Wes' write-up that they can upload. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by boom boom View Post
    Bump to see if someone has a copy of Wes' write-up that they can upload. Thanks!
    This might help, having to use wayback machine for this one as it's not on any active site anymore.

I don't have Wes' even older copy, sorry

https://web.archive.org/web/20141017...Pressure-Gauge

https://offroadkarter.smugmug.com/Me...Gauge-Install/

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

OLD THREAD ALERT!
    Quote Originally Posted by BAD MERC View Post
    Well last year I jumped on an AutoMeter oil gauge to replace the fake Marauder one. The thread here is extremely well written and after going through the steps it seemed quite straightforward. The car has been stored and covered 4 months so it seems like a good time to do the swap before starting her up. The sending unit was a simple swap and one-wire hookup. The gauge was a drop in replacement for the OE one but the look is similar until the lights come on and then the difference is annoying. The tutorial indicated the gauge face was removable and after some gentle coaxing around the perimeter of the aluminum bezel I was able to gently remove it and the face to swap them into the real gauge. It looks bone stock and performs like a gauge should. Even after 12 years of ownership I am still discovering little changes to improve my Marauder. Thanks to Wes for this fantastic writeup!

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/revi...php/product/25
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    This might help, having to use wayback machine for this one as it's not on any active site anymore.

I don't have Wes' even older copy, sorry

https://web.archive.org/web/20141017...Pressure-Gauge

https://offroadkarter.smugmug.com/Me...Gauge-Install/
    Thanks to you guys and time on my hands, I finally got around to installing a real oil pressure gauge.
    2004 Silver Birch
    Build Date 3/19/04
    Adopted on 10/19/07
    Seq#2102 of 3214
    #681 of 997 SBs
    #154 of 336 SBs with the moonroof
    Thanks Brian
    Member of The 100K Club 11/20/11
    Options-
    moonroof-heated seats-6-disc changer-trunk organizer-rear spoiler-mercury all weather mats
    Mods-Extras-Bling-
    Action Automotive-SS Inserts
    Auto Meter 4327 Oil Pressure Gauge
    Badgeless Grille(Thanks 03 Merc)
    Big Mike's Performance-"Sto n Sho" License Plate Holder
    Dead Pedal(Thanks lji372)
    Curless's Pedal Gear Repair
    Cruzer's-Arm Rest
    EATC Ungrade(Thanks JACook)
    Escape/Audiophile Radio Upgrade(Thanks shodude)
    Ford Racing M-7195-AOD Aluminum Trans Pan
    Innovative Interceptors-God's Head Valve Stem Covers
    J-Mod Valve Body
    K&N Performance Intake Kit{CAI}
    LCM Upgrade(Thanks Fastblackmerc)
    Marty-O Fender Badges, Tune & 4:10s
    Panther Lights HID Headlights
    Pro-gard Skid Plate
    Rear Cooling Head Mod
    Visteon Sirius Satellite Radio Setup(Thanks RoyLita)
    Weather Tech-Side Window Deflectors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information