Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Classic / Muscle Car Hobby

Classic / Muscle Car Hobby

Wanted to get your thoughts on this. Several of my friends (all in our early 50's) think the classic and muscle car hobby is slowly going to decline. We feel that the younger generation doesn't really care about cars in general let alone classic and muscle cars. I grew up working on cars and hoping some day to own a 69 Mustang or 70 Torino Cobra or 63-1/2 Galaxie. I just don't see young adults with this kind of interest. Interested to get you opinion on this.

they like ricers, vtec etc. imports, drifting etc.
    2004 SB Ported Trilogy 48
    Has supporting mods and stuff
    Thanks to Marty O for his help in updating this car.

R.I.P.
    Rex "SC Cheesehead"

I have noticed that the trend is going towards the lighter, import market. I only hope that kids today who may be big fans of the new Chargers, Challengers, Camaros and Mustangs remember and start looking for these cars when they get older.

I remember many of the Camaros, Chargers and Mustangs when I was young (the Marauder was also one but when I was already an adult) and wanted one as soon as I could afford it.

In my opinion, there's nothing like brute fast American steel and muscle.

Same thing happened to the classic collectables when baby boomers decided they would rather spend their money on Superbirds instead of Duesenbergs.

The other thing to think about are the electric cars like Tesla and the future of self driving cars. That could also contribute to the decline of the muscle car hobby.

those are all great points . if I could see into the future I would not have sold my stock for 9.41 after I did it went over 17.00 and as far as deusenbergs I saw one at a car show recently that was for sale for a million two . go figure

OL' Sko0L will NEVER die!!!
    "Damned if I do, damned if I don't!"
    Member #8831

MERIDEATH aka "Purrrty Mean" was born on June 20, 2002.
    Production #1685 of 7,838 and is #1685 of 7093 Black Beasts.
    Delivered July 27th 2002, she revealed herself.
    Unable to be tamed by her 1st owner, she was left to roam about & raid in search of plunder.
    Through the pillage she became mine on January 23, 2008 and since then...
    "She's tryin' to make a Devil out of me!"
    -"TaKe 'Em D0wN!" TRILOGY TwinScrew #209 / TS0019-

Quote Originally Posted by marauderrocks51 View Post
    those are all great points . if I could see into the future I would not have sold my stock for 9.41 after I did it went over 17.00 and as far as deusenbergs I saw one at a car show recently that was for sale for a million two . go figure
    Not that Duesenbergs will ever be affordable to the average Joe that same car you saw for 1.2 million had the trend continued as it was going in the '80's that car may have been 4 or 5 million today. Interests change, the muscle car collectability will top out at some point as the next generation starts to buy what they wish they could have had/ or had when they were younger.

I will say I've noticed that the cruise ins have declined dramtically. Only the cars for coffee events with ricer and newer cars seem to have participation.
    03 300A
    Trilogy #154
    Stainless Works LongTube Headers, Magnaflow High Flow Cats, X-Tube, Rear Cat Delete, Borla Mufflers, 2.5 Mandrel Bent pipes
    Lido tune
    Performance Transmission, 2500 Stall

Cars that were ordinary and common in 1970 are now "classics". Cars that are ordinary and common today will be the classics of the Millennials...or whatever the current generation calls themselves...when they turn 50. Pity, because most of today's cars are ugly and sound stupid.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

I must say that there has been some decline of interest in the newer generations. I hear often of ebay sales of muscle cars that the estate passed on to the kids who didn't want the car.

However, for those younger folks who I know love old school muscle like me, are only turned off by the prices of those selling them.

Interest seems to be more in ricers, BMWs, Lexus, Mercedes, etc.
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300B (Daily Driver)
    1988 LTD Crown Victoria S

You will always have hot rod fans young and old and there's a lot of young kids who like fast cars Dodge Hellcat Dodge Demon Chevy Exorcist the list goes on and there's a lot of the rice Racers just depends who you talk to as far as Cruz goes and cruising goes the cops are cracking down and passed so many laws and ordinances against it it's hard to have fun with the cars nowadays that's the problem too many laws. Hell I say let him Cruz and have fun while you shut everybody up in the house so they can get hooked on drugs and hanging with that crowd hell nothing wrong with having some good old-fashioned fun and racing long. as long as it's safe of course. I'm not talking about drag racing or illegal racing. Are the old school carbureted hot rods from the 70s as popular amongst youngsters today of course not will that continue to decline I'm sure it will. As far as what the long-term future holds who know. Hell we will probably all be an alien ships by then. Lol

What percentage of cars sold at auction are bought solely as an investment? When the Ford GT's came out in 2005 & 2006, many were purchased and either never driven or driven very little. 8-10 years later, they are selling at more than double what they were purchased for.

Classic / Muscle Car Hobby

The gasser kids are out there, many VW, BMW, Honda early 20s guys have seen Riley's Marauder and are now believers of American muscle. And for some reason they are attracted to the 80s stuff, box style, I actually think that they believe the 80s looks older than some 60s cars just because of the way aerodynamics were thrown out

My Mustang club took our annual visit with the cars to the MDA camp.
    The kids loved the cars.

Their counselors loved the high end radios we put onto the cars.
    The newer generation could care less about the car. Does it have WiFi and great Tunes?

Oh Please..............

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information