Thread: VAPS Issues, the final straw

VAPS Issues, the final straw

I bought the car with an inactive VAPS. I've been dealing with it for a while but I recently rebuilt the front suspension and ordered a no name reman rack on ebay (I know.) After changing the rack and putting everything back together I still have no VAPS.

I bought a known good module from a member here and swapped that in with no luck. I googled a VAPS check and found a step by step guide from a Ford tech that verified the rack was getting signal from the module and the module was getting power. I then used our Matco scanner to verify the module was getting input from the optical sensor and the OSS in the trans, which it was. I told the seller of the reman rack I believe it was not operational and they sent another. Instead of getting another alignment I swapped the VAPS solenoid from the second rack onto mine. After topping off the fluid and putting it back together I had VAPS for all of 30 seconds and it was gone again.

Has anyone else had any similar issues before I drop $500 on a Motorcraft reman unit?
    03 Marauder- 300B, non heated seats, T/C, no CD changer
    03 Marauder- 300A, Eaton Swapped, SOLD

03 Marauder- 300A, 5544 of 7839 in 03, Trilogy #24, SOLD
    04 Marauder- 300B, SB with LF interior, 208k miles and still ticking SOLD

Ordered a Cardone reman rack 22-270. This rack does not come with the EVO / VAPS solenoid for future reference. They list a rack 22-249E for the GM / CV with VAPS but the specs from the Cardone show the pressure is lower on the GM / CV rack by 200 psi. The EVO / VAPS solenoid is not available separate from them. A thread on CVN had talked about ordering one from Detroit Axle as they are a supplier for reman units, but I can't get them to return my call about availability or pricing. My patience with this is done. I ordered a reman unit from the local Ford Dealer this morning. Will update after I install.

How do you know if it's working or not?

I've still got the original rack in mine, 213k miles. Feels great to me, can't honestly say I feel much difference between low speed/in town driving and highway curves.

Quote Originally Posted by alec2538 View Post
    How do you know if it's working or not?

I've still got the original rack in mine, 213k miles. Feels great to me, can't honestly say I feel much difference between low speed/in town driving and highway curves.
    I had no power assist at low speeds, others report power assist at all speeds making highway driving touchy and dangerous.

This system uses input from the output shaft speed sensor in the transmission along with the optical sensor in the steering column to send a variable signal to the solenoid on the steering rack. This will increase steering effort with vehicle speed and decrease accordingly.

My car is now fixed. I installed a reman Ford rack and a reman Cardone pump just to rule everything out. I should be good for another 200k or so.

Thread Information