Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brake bleeding question

Brake bleeding question

As long as I'm replacing the rotors and calipers, I was going to bleed out the old original brake fluid. Plan was to start at the right rear, then left rear then move up to the front. (This assumes the ABS isn't mounted in the rear...)

My question is do I need to do anything with the ABS itself? I understand it requires a shop to bleed it? Is there a sensor I need to disconnect, or can I just bleed the 4 lines as normal?

Some say you need to change out the brake fluid every 2-3 years; I don't know about that, but at 14 years and 113K it seems like s good idea.

Thanks for any info on the ABS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2003 black pre-decontented 300B #5886 of 7838; Born on 10/31/02
    MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

Question ABS Activation Device

Dealer has a device that hooks up to the ABS computer and activates each brake individually.

Don't know how much fluid is involved or how air is removed.

Maybe a trip to the dealer or someone here knows.

The dealer did mine some years ago. Didn't cost much IIRC.

You don't need to do anything with the ABS (mounted in the front) as long as you DO NOT let the master cylinder run dry.

I'd gravity bleed each line.

• Remove all the old brake fluid from the master cylinder. A turkey baster works well. I usually buy a few at the dollar store as you can use them for draining the power steering pump.
    • Add fresh new fluid
    • Open the RR line and let the fluid out until it's clear - constantly checking the master cylinder level.
    • Open the LR line and let the fluid out until it's clear - constantly checking the master cylinder level.
    • Open the RF line and let the fluid out until it's clear - constantly checking the master cylinder level.
    • Open the FL line and let the fluid out until it's clear - constantly checking the master cylinder level.
    • Top off the master cylinder.

NOTE:
    use clear tubing on each bleeder screw so the fluid doesn't get all over the place and you can see the color of the fluid.
    Last edited by fastblackmerc; 07-18-2017 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Added dollar store comment
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

^^^what FBM said^^^ That's the way I do it.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
    You don't need to do anything with the ABS (mounted in the front) as long as you DO NOT let the master cylinder run dry.

I'd gravity bleed each line.

• Remove all the old brake fluid from the master cylinder. A turkey baster works well. I usually buy a few at the dollar store as you can use them for draining the power steering pump.
    • Add fresh new fluid
    • Open the RR line and let the fluid out until it's clear - constantly checking the master cylinder level.
    • Open the LR line and let the fluid out until it's clear - constantly checking the master cylinder level.
    • Open the RF line and let the fluid out until it's clear - constantly checking the master cylinder level.
    • Open the FL line and let the fluid out until it's clear - constantly checking the master cylinder level.
    • Top off the master cylinder.

NOTE:
    use clear tubing on each bleeder screw so the fluid doesn't get all over the place and you can see the color of the fluid.

Outstanding, thanks FBM. I'm working alone so made up a bottle with 3/16" clear tubing and was planning on doing it that way, starting with fluid in the bottom of the bottle and pumping the brakes a couple of times per wheel, but then thought maybe I would affect the ABS.

Good idea on the turkey basters. I was going to use my red squeeze bulb thingy, but I've used it with other fluids, so probably not a great idea.

I'll take the master cylinder down to the min line, but to be safe won't go any lower.

Thanks again for laying it out!

MartyO tune, 4:10's, T/A stud & girdle, MMX shaft+DS loop, Metco control arms, Quickor RSB, Addco FSB, Megs delete tips, Granatelli solid coil connectors, NGK plugs & LP 170 stat, DR rear engine cooling mod, PI 3000 TC, Level II tranny, Art Carr deep pan, Steeda pullies/billet caps, billet door locks, Ford Racing oil cap / polished coil covers, PHP CAK & Metco carbon fiber intake, DG Motorsports CF radiator cover, Fumoto oil drain valve, oil deflector, real Autometer gauges, ScanGauge II, Weatherflectors, underbody lighting kit, Zack chrome grill, OEM spoiler & door edge guards, KB dead pedal, Dynopro aluminum sills & pedals, Viper alarm w/ remote start, MM fender badges, red painted calipers, SS inserts, Silverstar Ultras, hood bumpers, 35% tints, Gorilla lug nuts, MM valve caps, Pro-Guard, DD trunk lid liner, CM UHI kit, CM Godshead rear & steering wheel badges, S-55 badge, FilterMag, MM trunk bib, ported sub-woofer.

I installed these:

http://speedbleeder.com/

They even have them for the Wilwoods I have from TCE.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
    Outstanding, thanks FBM. I'm working alone so made up a bottle with 3/16" clear tubing and was planning on doing it that way, starting with fluid in the bottom of the bottle and pumping the brakes a couple of times per wheel, but then thought maybe I would affect the ABS.

Good idea on the turkey basters. I was going to use my red squeeze bulb thingy, but I've used it with other fluids, so probably not a great idea.

I'll take the master cylinder down to the min line, but to be safe won't go any lower.

Thanks again for laying it out!

Take as much fluid out of the MC as you can. As long as you don't pump the brakes you won't get any air in the system.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure about that.

By the way, when compressing the pistons to change out the pads, do you open the bleeder screw to take off the pressure, or just let it backflow to the master cylinder, then remove the excess? I was going to bleed first, then r&r the pads compressing the pistons and letting it back glow, then remove excess as it backflowed, but someone told me to open the screw instead as I could damage the pistons. (?) I think the other day you mentioned you opened the screw as well, but that may have been another poster.

Seems simple enough, but everyone has their different ways of doing it!

Thanks again for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
    Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure about that.

By the way, when compressing the pistons to change out the pads, do you open the bleeder screw to take off the pressure, or just let it backflow to the master cylinder, then remove the excess? I was going to bleed first, then r&r the pads compressing the pistons and letting it back glow, then remove excess as it backflowed, but someone told me to open the screw instead as I could damage the pistons. (?) I think the other day you mentioned you opened the screw as well, but that may have been another poster.

Seems simple enough, but everyone has their different ways of doing it!

Thanks again for the tips.

Make sure there is room for the extra fluid, compress the piston(s), replace the pads then start the bleeding procedure.

To compress the piston(s) you can use a C clamp, extra large water pump pliers, or a specially designed compresser.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Got it, make room in the reservoir, change pads, then bleed last.

Think that may have been an advisement on a foreign car forum where they didn't want fluid flowing back to the master cylinder for some reason.

Really appreciate the help, thank you!

Blog Entries
    ~40 years ago I bought a spare reservoir cap and attached a container of brake fluid that was pressurized by a compressor.

Opened all 4 brake bleeders and turned on the compressor.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Quote Originally Posted by sailsmen View Post
    ~40 years ago I bought a spare reservoir cap and attached a container of brake fluid that was pressurized by a compressor.

Opened all 4 brake bleeders and turned on the compressor.
    I use a pressure bleeder, same principle

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...xoCo1gQAvD_BwE

That one is plastic and less expensive. Mine holds a gallon and is stainless steel with rubber bladder. Only needs like 15psi tof air pressure to work.
    Saves so much time it's so worth it
    Ex Panther Owner

Pretty much DO NOT bleed your brakes by pushing the pedal to the floor while a helper opens the bleeder screws. This allows the brake pedal to push the master cylinder piston way beyond normal operating stroke and will usually ruin the master cylinder. The seals will be damaged and allow internal fluid passage after bleeding in such a manner.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    I use a pressure bleeder, same principle

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...xoCo1gQAvD_BwE

That one is plastic and less expensive. Mine holds a gallon and is stainless steel with rubber bladder. Only needs like 15psi tof air pressure to work.
    Saves so much time it's so worth it
    I had a car that had a proportioning, not many had it back then, valve which made it difficult to bleed. So I came up with the system.

It worked well but the pressure regulator was not very accurate so I would have to monitor and manually release it.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

Quote Originally Posted by BAD MERC View Post
    Pretty much DO NOT bleed your brakes by pushing the pedal to the floor while a helper opens the bleeder screws. This allows the brake pedal to push the master cylinder piston way beyond normal operating stroke and will usually ruin the master cylinder. The seals will be damaged and allow internal fluid passage after bleeding in such a manner.

What? That's how I've done it for 30 years and never an issue.

SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information