MercuryMarauder.net Forums    

Go Back   MercuryMarauder.net Forums > The Garage > Interior Electrical/Electronics

Interior Electrical/Electronics This is the place for questions/discussions of head units, speakers, navigation systems, alarm systems, heated seats, rear window defoggers, door locks, air bags, etc.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:58 AM
#2,187 out of 3,214

Trader: (3)
Real AutoMeter oil gauge

Well last year I jumped on an AutoMeter oil gauge to replace the fake Marauder one. The thread here is extremely well written and after going through the steps it seemed quite straightforward. The car has been stored and covered 4 months so it seems like a good time to do the swap before starting her up. The sending unit was a simple swap and one-wire hookup. The gauge was a drop in replacement for the OE one but the look is similar until the lights come on and then the difference is annoying. The tutorial indicated the gauge face was removable and after some gentle coaxing around the perimeter of the aluminum bezel I was able to gently remove it and the face to swap them into the real gauge. It looks bone stock and performs like a gauge should. Even after 12 years of ownership I am still discovering little changes to improve my Marauder. Thanks to Wes for this fantastic writeup!

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/revi...php/product/25
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171110_175648.jpg (145.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 20171110_173736.jpg (134.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 20171110_180932.jpg (130.1 KB, 94 views)
'04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Innovative chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE SS lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, Steeda UDP.

2004 Mercury Marauder
Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
#2,187 of 3,214
997 in Silver Birch
448 with light flint interior
304 with heated seats
336 with sunroof
Old 01-13-2018, 11:18 PM

Trader: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD MERC View Post
Well last year I jumped on an AutoMeter oil gauge to replace the fake Marauder one. The thread here is extremely well written and after going through the steps it seemed quite straightforward. The car has been stored and covered 4 months so it seems like a good time to do the swap before starting her up. The sending unit was a simple swap and one-wire hookup. The gauge was a drop in replacement for the OE one but the look is similar until the lights come on and then the difference is annoying. The tutorial indicated the gauge face was removable and after some gentle coaxing around the perimeter of the aluminum bezel I was able to gently remove it and the face to swap them into the real gauge. It looks bone stock and performs like a gauge should. Even after 12 years of ownership I am still discovering little changes to improve my Marauder. Thanks to Wes for this fantastic writeup!

https://www.mercurymarauder.net/revi...php/product/25
I'm a new Marauder owner. Why do you say fake oil guage?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2018, 11:45 PM
GAME OVER, YOU LOSE!

Trader: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcacioppo58 View Post
I'm a new Marauder owner. Why do you say fake oil guage?

The gauge is a glorified idiot light. There is no sweep of the needle to indicate what pressure the engine is experiencing. It shows pressure if the car has a few pounds up to ?? Many here have replaced their OEM with a real gauge that shows the true pressure when operating. Fairly easy swap if you are somewhat mechanical. I believe the write-up on the how-to is in the FAQ header somewhere. Forget the part number of the real gauge from Autometer, but it is an Ultra ll. Someone will chime in with the part numbers for the gauges. Most replace the volt gauge as well just so they match. Swapping the face of the oil face is a pain.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:53 AM

Trader: (6)
I have mechanical OP gauge. That's about as real as you can get lol
Old 01-14-2018, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

Trader: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by massacre View Post
I have mechanical OP gauge. That's about as real as you can get lol
Me too! Never had to work on the sending unit since I made that swap!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, wife's car, 300k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, 50k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
01 F150
00 F150 4x4
68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods
Old 01-14-2018, 08:26 AM
Everything Marauder, LEDs & HI

Trader: (75)
Consider replace the voltmeter at the same time. When they are illuminated they will both look the same and anyone but a diehard Marauder enthusiast will not know the difference.

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
General James Mattis

Old 01-14-2018, 12:28 PM
73 is the best number.

Quote:
Why do you say fake oil guage?
Because it IS a fake.

As the others said, it reads approximately in the middle no matter what the actual oil pressure is. Ford does it this way because too many ignorant people complained that their oil pressure was all over the place, not understanding that this is absolutely normal. It will be higher when the RPMs are high and lower when the RPMs are low. It also changes as the oil temperature changes. Rather than keep explaining that to people, Ford just made the gauge read in the middle all the time. It's been that way since at least 1989...possibly earlier but that's the earliest I have direct experience with.
Trilogy #61
Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
Daily Driver
Old 01-14-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
Because it IS a fake.

As the others said, it reads approximately in the middle no matter what the actual oil pressure is. Ford does it this way because too many ignorant people complained that their oil pressure was all over the place, not understanding that this is absolutely normal. It will be higher when the RPMs are high and lower when the RPMs are low. It also changes as the oil temperature changes. Rather than keep explaining that to people, Ford just made the gauge read in the middle all the time. It's been that way since at least 1989...possibly earlier but that's the earliest I have direct experience with.
So if I had to upgrade which would you recommend that has a similar stick appearance that actually functions properly

Old 01-15-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
So if I had to upgrade which would you recommend that has a similar stick appearance that actually functions properly

Replacement Gauges – Autometer (2 1/16)
Oil Pressure – P/N 4327 w/ sending unit (P/N 2242)
Voltmeter – P/N 4391

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
General James Mattis

Old 01-15-2018, 12:27 PM
GAME OVER, YOU LOSE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
Oil Pressure – P/N 4327 w/ sending unit (P/N 2242)
Voltmeter – P/N 4391
Been awhile since I got mine, but if I recall the sending unit comes with the oil gauge.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
Been awhile since I got mine, but if I recall the sending unit comes with the oil gauge.
Correct. That's why it says "w/ sending unit (P/N 2242)"

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Old 01-15-2018, 01:23 PM
GAME OVER, YOU LOSE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastblackmerc View Post
Oil Pressure – P/N 4327 comes w/ sending unit
Voltmeter – P/N 4391
Replacement oil sending unit - (P/N 2242)
I would have done it as above to be more concise.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:23 PM

where would I find the stock OIL sender unit to replace?
Old 07-05-2018, 07:26 PM
Sick-Speed play toy

Trader: (11)
Right near the oil filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:02 AM
HEMIKLER

isnt there a way to have the org. work?