MercuryMarauder.net Forums    

Go Back   MercuryMarauder.net Forums > The Garage > Shop Talk

Shop Talk Visit Shop Talk for all your general technical discussions regarding the Marauder!

Old 07-11-2018, 11:06 AM
RescuRauder

Trader: (3)
AC and master cylinder

So, next week I am getting the car supercharged. The deal we made included him installing a new AC compressor (the ac works, but when the compressor is on, it sounds like a Mack truck) and master cylinder (leaking). My question is does anyone have any recommendations as to what brand to use for either part? I saw the Motorcraft brand compressor at Rock Auto for $369, which was double the no name remanufactured ones. Although it said "new".

"RescuRauder", Born on 09/02/2003 & rescued on 04/05/2013. #236 of 3214 and #62 of 1237 in Black. CAI, Some kind of tune, Kooks Headers, X-pipe w/Hi-Flow cats, Magnaflow mufflers, Resonators removed, 4.10's, Metco U&L CA and Watts link, Drilled & slotted rotors, now needing BOOST
1986 Mustang GT Vert, Black, 5spd, new short block, Powerheads, Crower 15511, gears, exhaust etc.

2011 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with SVT Performance Pkg & Navigation, VMP tuned ~550rwhp/550rwtq. Finally Blown!
Old 07-11-2018, 11:22 AM

Trader: (27)
OEM.......
Old 07-11-2018, 11:36 AM

Trader: (0)
You should go oem like MuscleMerc says also the aluminum accumulator and orifice tube.

Do you still have the 4:30s in that car?
Old 07-11-2018, 12:02 PM
RescuRauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm svt View Post
You should go oem like MuscleMerc says also the aluminum accumulator and orifice tube.

Do you still have the 4:30s in that car?
Actually, they are 4:10's. The P/O wasn't for sure. I thought they were 4:30's
until I checked it out myself. I just forgot to update the sig.

"RescuRauder", Born on 09/02/2003 & rescued on 04/05/2013. #236 of 3214 and #62 of 1237 in Black. CAI, Some kind of tune, Kooks Headers, X-pipe w/Hi-Flow cats, Magnaflow mufflers, Resonators removed, 4.10's, Metco U&L CA and Watts link, Drilled & slotted rotors, now needing BOOST
1986 Mustang GT Vert, Black, 5spd, new short block, Powerheads, Crower 15511, gears, exhaust etc.

2011 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with SVT Performance Pkg & Navigation, VMP tuned ~550rwhp/550rwtq. Finally Blown!
Old 07-11-2018, 12:23 PM
73 is the best number.

Trader: (2)
Motorcraft on both counts.
Trilogy #61
Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
Daily Driver
Old 07-11-2018, 12:27 PM
I'm Your Huckleberry

I agree with above and use OEM. Those parts aren't replaced that often so whats an extra couple hundred bucks.

2004 300A Procharger #0010 P1SC
2003 300A Procharger #0017 D1SC (SOLD)
Old 07-11-2018, 02:21 PM

Hmmm...I was looking at replacing the 4WD transfer case motor on my Ranger a few years back when it stopped working. The Dorman part is identical to the Motorcraft part at about a third of the price and Dorman is a supplier to Motorcraft (and others). Mechanic/Shop Owner (ex Ford Tech) ended up rebuilding it for $50.

For what it's worth.
2015 Triumph Trophy SE
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." - Dr. Seuss
Old 07-11-2018, 04:01 PM
Sick-Speed play toy

Trader: (11)
I’ve had 4.30’s when mine was an auto w/Trilogy. Both them and 4.10’s are good street gears to keep out of boost and still pull hard, but not too much on launch with decent tires or highway RPMs. Not much of a difference really between them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:34 PM
RescuRauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invective View Post
Hmmm...I was looking at replacing the 4WD transfer case motor on my Ranger a few years back when it stopped working. The Dorman part is identical to the Motorcraft part at about a third of the price and Dorman is a supplier to Motorcraft (and others). Mechanic/Shop Owner (ex Ford Tech) ended up rebuilding it for $50.

For what it's worth.
I have heard of Dorman. When I was redoing the motor on my 86 GT a few years back, I went through two "rebuilt or remanufactured" distributors only to have both fail and the last one left me stranded on the road. So, I opted for the more expensive but more reliable MSD NEW distributor and it has been awesome since. So, I don't want to have to spend more than I need to on these parts for the Marauder, but, I don't want to have to mess with them again! At Rock Auto, there is no "Dorman" or the like that I have heard of for the replacement parts, However, they do have a replacement AC compressor that is Motorcraft for about $50 dollars less than the Ford dealers I have checked with, including White Lake Autonation etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazen71 View Post
I agree with above and use OEM. Those parts aren't replaced that often so whats an extra couple hundred bucks.
See above....

Old 07-11-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflrainmaker01 View Post
I have heard of Dorman. When I was redoing the motor on my 86 GT a few years back, I went through two "rebuilt or remanufactured" distributors only to have both fail and the last one left me stranded on the road. So, I opted for the more expensive but more reliable MSD NEW distributor and it has been awesome since. So, I don't want to have to spend more than I need to on these parts for the Marauder, but, I don't want to have to mess with them again! At Rock Auto, there is no "Dorman" or the like that I have heard of for the replacement parts, However, they do have a replacement AC compressor that is Motorcraft for about $50 dollars less than the Ford dealers I have checked with, including White Lake Autonation etc.

See above....

Dorman is OEM - I won't insult your reading comprehension.
2015 Triumph Trophy SE
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Old 07-12-2018, 09:34 AM
Everything Marauder, LEDs & HI

Trader: (75)
I won't use Dorman parts for anything that is related to safety or drive-ability.

Too many horror stories and my own experience.

Anyone remember the "thermal" events with Dorman radiator fan assemblies?

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
General James Mattis

Old 07-12-2018, 12:59 PM
73 is the best number.

Quote:
Dorman is OEM - I won't insult your reading comprehension.
Do you have any proof Dorman is OEM for Ford, or any examples of which parts?
Trilogy #61
Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
Daily Driver
Old 07-13-2018, 11:08 AM

Trader: (0)
90% sure dorman is strictly aftermarket.
Some of their stuff is great, some either doesn't fit or fails in record time.
I reccomend oem unless you absolutely cannot afford it. Or unavailable.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
Do you have any proof Dorman is OEM for Ford, or any examples of which parts?
Nothing other than what my tech stated. Are they not?

From their website:

About Dorman Products

"New Since 1918", Dorman Products is a leading supplier of original equipment dealer "exclusive" automotive and heavy duty replacement parts, automotive hardware, brake parts, and fasteners to the Automotive and Heavy Vehicle Aftermarkets. New to the Aftermarket is our exciting niche allowing us to provide hundreds of new products to our customers and end-users each month and thousands each year.

A play on words? If I'm wrong I certainly apologize. All this time I thought Dorman was an OEM supplier.
2015 Triumph Trophy SE
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Old 07-14-2018, 09:57 AM
73 is the best number.

Quote:
Dorman Products is a leading supplier of original equipment dealer "exclusive" automotive and heavy duty replacement parts, automotive hardware, brake parts, and fasteners to the Automotive and Heavy Vehicle Aftermarkets.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but that statement is somewhat ambiguous. What exactly is an "original equipment dealer exclusive replacement part"? Does that mean some parts in Motorcraft boxes are actually supplied by Dorman? At this point I agree with Grimrepairman: Some of their stuff is great, some either doesn't fit or fails in record time.
Trilogy #61
Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
Daily Driver