Quote Originally Posted by 1Marauder View Post
My FORD RANT OF THE DAY!:

Can we simply ban the "Go Further" campaign?

Was this campaign designed by a Euro Peon? (this is a spell check issue)

No one can go "further" in a car; it is impossible. Furthermore the idea that the English language can be dumbed down to the point that the fake word "irregardless" that was originally penned as a JOKE in a play, makes it into the dictionary and people use it...was bad, but NOW A MAJOR CAR COMPANY is conflating two different words and meanings: FARTHER and FURTHER in an international auto ad?

YOU DRIVE FARTHER in a car-- a unit or measure of distance.

Go FARTHER--I.e. Go the Distance... Go for it..... I can run FARTHER than you!

Every single time I see the "Go Further" advertisement it pains me that we allow ourselves--and the companies we LIKE to propagate ignorance.

The unmitigated audacity of FORD to interchange these two (yes--just last year Webster started to allow these two to be interchanged as evidently knowing that these are two different words somehow endangered the illiterate) on purpose really makes me sick.

I grew up poor, and went to a low rate public school, and it took me years to learn (I still have trouble spelling) as I am partially dyslexic--but the meaning of the words--the most important part-- should not be fecklessly diminished.

Linguistic Relativity and the idea that the words we know (our language and vocabulary) actually SHAPE our ability to think, vs our ability to think shaping our language and vocabulary was first recognized with the HOPI Indians and the Whorf-Sapir Hypothesis.

We can all recall the highschool example that Eskimos have twenty+ words to discribe SNOW --thus thier understanding of snow is greatly enhanced--it can be argued that even stoner ski bums can better understand and relate different kinds of snow with thier Corn Snow, Righteous Freshies, pebbles, cat track, crusties, Califonia Corn, Large Flake... dude... etc... thus thier words expand thier thinking, and meaning.

But really... GO FURTHER?

What is next? I sea with my I's? Two many of they're words are too hard too understand?

No means NO. Farther is a measure of distance. You can NOT go FURTHER... it is impossible.

Can we simply just try to be more than ignorant? Can we agree to aim one notch higher than stupid?

Sorry- I just saw the advertisement three times in five minutes-- and some of the smartest stuff I've read in a while came from Lifespeed, and zack and Jerry and you guys takling about the heat buildup/dispersion in the sweep area of a brake pad... and heck--I dont know, I just thought I'd share!

NOW THAT IS A RANT!
I noticed this too when I saw the commercial. You'd think someone in Ford's ad agency (presumably a college grad but what does that tell you?) would know the difference between further and farther.

My own grammar rant concerns me, myself and I:

How many times have you heard "my teammates and myself played hard today"? Would it be correct to say "myself played hard today"? No, it's "I played hard today." Therefore "my teammates and I played hard today".

A news anchor in my city said "Join Joe Blow and myself on our fantastic trip to Canada". Does it sound right to say "Join myself on our trip"?. No, it's "join me". Therefore "Join Joe Blow and me on our fantastic trip to Canada."

Last one: "If you have any questions ask Cindy or I." Doesn't sound right to say "If you have any questions ask I", does it? It's "ask me". Therefore "If you have any questions ask Cindy or me."

Done.