Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head cooling mod again

Head cooling mod again

Gotta love a subject that has been beat to death. How could I not know the MMR rear passenger side fitting with two NPT ports causes one port to interfere with the heater tube under the intake manifold? I feel like such a dumkopf.

My plan was tee both the front and back cylinder head outlets to a single hose, then combine both hoses at the ON3 thermostat.

If I cut the steel tube under the intake manifold, I could put an AN ferrule on the tube, convert to braided AN hose, then route the hose to the heater. But that steel tube is secured by a bracket, which would get cut off.

Is there a way I can compactly tee -6 AN (3/8 NPT) on the passenger rear freeze plug using something other than MMR and keep the stock heater tube?
    Lifespeed

2004 Silver Birch Marauder 130K miles
    Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

I use the cobra engineering kit, I did not interfere with my tube under the intake.
    Here is a link to install instructions:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...d-cooling-mod/
    2003 Black - sold, back again, and sold
    2003 DBP/DC - #153 Whipple 3.4 (permanent garage art)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 36 (Sold)
    2003 DBP/LF - # 205 (Sold)
    2004 Black - Trilogy #43
    2003 Black - shitbox

Quote Originally Posted by Comin' in Hot View Post
    I use the cobra engineering kit, I did not interfere with my tube under the intake.
    Here is a link to install instructions:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...d-cooling-mod/
    I tried Mr. Cobra, his machine is broken so he doesn't have any. Didn't seem to think he would get it fixed any time soon either. Judging from the pictures linked above, the Cobra Engineering kit would interfere with the original Marauder heater tube as well.

Edit: do you have a Marauder motor or a Cobra? I've got the original Marauder block with heater tube bolted to the rear of the passenger head. And I have an EGR tube.
    Last edited by lifespeed; 02-15-2018 at 01:04 AM.
    Lifespeed

Wilwood Aero6 F, NMDP R brakes, Penske 7500DA shocks, Hypercoil 600lbs F and Grand Marquis R air springs, Addco tubular sway bars, Metco control & Watts, 31 sp axles, Stainless Works cat-back exhaust, Lidio tune, American Racing AR883 9.3" 50mm F 10" 59mm R 20" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero 265/35-20, 275/40-20 tires

Coming soon: Livernois 5.0L stroker, ADTR/Vortech V2 intercooled SC, Silverfox trans and Circle D converter

Yeah, that's it. AN hose instead of that stupid metal tube that interferes with the passenger head rear cooling fitting.
    Lifespeed

4 miles from insanity and 2ft from broke!
    Thats a nice part for sure!
    04 MERCURY MARAUDER build date:02/11/04
    ITS ALIVE !!!!!!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!

**WHIPPLE 4.0L CRUSHER!**0000 (FOR NOW) RWHP

VISIT MY GARAGE FOR A FULL LIST OF MODS

I'm using the MMR water pump nipple and the Cobra Engineering head cooling mod, while deleting the return line from the back of the engine to the coolant crossover tube.
    SEMPER FI From York, Pa

Quote Originally Posted by SGT_MERC View Post
    I'm using the MMR water pump nipple and the Cobra Engineering head cooling mod, while deleting the return line from the back of the engine to the coolant crossover tube.
    Are you referring to the heater core return line? The Marauder has no coolant return, stock, from the rear of the engine, but the heater returns to the crossover.

Maybe your description could be more detailed/complete?
    Lifespeed

Yes, the heater core return line. It has a hard steel line section that runs along the passenger side head. I deleted that and now pull all the coolant from the back of my heads, thru the heater core and into the water pump underneath the lower intake.
    SEMPER FI From York, Pa

I deleted it a few years ago myself. I had the nipple on the COT welded shut and I use Zacks cooling mod. Simple, cheap, and effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

I used a custom fitting at rear of pass head to supply heater core, return with Lincoln pipe under intake to back of water pump.
    Doing it that way kept cooling mod simpler and didn’t need to adapt from AN to heater core tubing.
    Ex Panther Owner

This is the plumbing under the intake. Both sides at the rear return to the front through -8 wyed to -10. The MMR dual pipe thread adapter is used at the passenger rear, driver's rear comes from the top of the cylinder head through a 150 degree -8 fitting to avoid stock EGR tube interference.

I still need a couple fittings for the MMR passenger side, a straight fitting interferes the hose fitting to the cylinder head.

The good thing about this is both heater hoses go directly to the rear of the motor, no long tube past the fenderwell, no coolant crossover monstrosity up front. Also there will be no 3-hose bypass thermostat coolant routing up front with an extra radiator hose. Just two -10 outlet hoses (front and rear) to the ON3 thermostat housing at the left radiator inlet, and a -16 AN from the engine block to the radiator lower right outlet.

Room for supercharger tubes and intercooler will be needed.

Lifespeed

My rear cooling worked out great,....., for me. The guy who installed complained quite a bit.

That engine looks fantastic! I’ve got my engine out and want to do the head cooling mod as well but I gotta ask, how did you get the aluminum so shiny?

You don't like the color silver do you?
    Looks great

Quote Originally Posted by Shinker View Post
    That engine looks fantastic! I’ve got my engine out and want to do the head cooling mod as well but I gotta ask, how did you get the aluminum so shiny?
    Looks like powder coating and/or spray.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information