Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May be time...

May be time...

Greetings all, its been a while. Since Rex passed I haven't been here much. I still own my DTR, 14 years now, but I think it may be time to send her on.

I can no longer work on her due to a major back injury. Changing oil and even sparks plugs is a issue for me.

I am afraid to driver her here. Its a mine field here on the roads. With no parts available for body work I am afraid to take her out of the garage. Marty O did some work on her 2 years ago and quite frankly I have only put about 2300 miles on her since. Insurance is ridiculous here. You have to practice extreme defensive driving techniques or you will get wrecked out. YES it is that bad. Ireally need something as a 2nd car, not a garage queen.

So I am considering moving her on and going back to a Focus. Probably the ST with 252hp/270TQ. It has most of the upgrades my 2000 ZX3 was modded with from the factory. I have looked at the RS, but the prices, even used!!! If a ST gets wrecked it can be easily repaired. Not so sure on the RS. Friend who runs an Ford Asset program says the rs will be expesive to repair off warranty. He said go with a ST and tune it.

My DTR is in decent shape, couple nicks, one small dent. The usual bolt ons plus a 3200 TC. Adult driven. I rarely light them up anymore. Its a SC car now, no cats. Custom exhaust by Marty including SW headers. Forgot, exactly 103,000 miles.

So what y'all think? I have always valued opinions from here.
    Last edited by rayjay; 05-21-2018 at 01:35 PM.
    2004 DTR Marauder, Built 26 February 2004, Inservice: 02 July 2004 Retired from DD 17 July 2008. Survived the cut, 28 April 2012. Back as a DD as of 18 November 2012.

This us a very nice car.

Hi Ray Long time no hear.

The ST sounds like a good compromise when it comes to tuning, but isn't the ride in a small car murder on your back?

I get the MM worries you to drive as I don't drive mine much anymore either because of the maniacs out there texting instead of driving, but when I do take it out I have a good time with it.
    I use mine for cruise nights, the occasional car show and of course Carlisle.

Can you get antique/collectable car insurance on it down there? Get agreed value on it and if it gets wreaked, get a big check.

Shout out to the little ladies.

Thanks Marty. Mr. Man, yes too long. Very good point about the ST and my back. Reality is I can't do long distance in the MM for that reason, it just is not that comfortable for me. Our SUV is excellent, but I don't need 2. I know before I started modding the suspension on my ZX3 it rode very well for a small car and the seat was quite comfortable. Ford is offering substantial savings and rebates on all Focus right now too. Almost $6K off. If I lease I can probably keep my DTR. I have a appointment for Wed to look at one. There is a RS at the southend in a color I would want, but $48K for a Focus... OUCH
    2004 DTR Marauder, Built 26 February 2004, Inservice: 02 July 2004 Retired from DD 17 July 2008. Survived the cut, 28 April 2012. Back as a DD as of 18 November 2012.

Sorry to hear about your back, but if it’s bothering you that much now, I would not even consider an RS.
    2012 Boss 302 LS # 563
    2000 SVT Cobra R # 76
    1993 SVT Cobra # 2162
    2013 SVT Raptor SCrew
    2011 F 350 Worktruck
    2019 Lincoln MKC

Age takes it's toll.

My wife has trouble getting into my Explorer, and I have trouble getting into her Lincoln LS. Biggest challenge for me is getting into my 03 TBird with the top up.

Once we're in, we're OK.

Drive the thing. If it gets wrecked it gets wrecked. Life goes on.
    Your selling it because you're afraid of losing it to a crash? Either way the car is going away from your life.
    There are literally hundreds of thousands of CV and GM for parts scrounging.
    And if you crash in a Marauder the chances are you will walk away. A Focus? Not so much.
    Last edited by tbone; 05-24-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post
    Drive the thing. If it gets wrecked it gets wrecked. Life goes on.
    Your selling it because you're afraid of losing it to a crash? Either way the car is going away from your life.
    There are literally hundreds of thousands of CV and GM for parts scrounging.
    And if you crash in a Marauder the chances are you will walk away. A Focus? Not so much.

I agree with ^^^^^^^ 100%........
    SEMPER FI From York, Pa

We all get to that point. Good luck with the sale, or whatever you decide to do.
    Former Marauder Owner

Thanks everyone. I have decided to keep the DTR. I have too much into her to just let it go. It still runs great other than a CEL for small evap leak. MartyO did a really good job on it, and I put quite a bit into front end repairs before it went to him. I will never get out of it what I put in. I'll just driver when I can and have fun. Thanks!

Glad to hear Ray!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrym3 View Post
    Age takes it's toll.

Biggest challenge for me is getting into my 03 TBird with the top up.

Once we're in, we're OK.
    Not to de-rail--but we have an -04 PCR and you really sit down at 90 angle and turn (swivel) into seat all while placing head 45 degrees away from inside while swiveling.

try that --
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

Quote Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
    Thanks everyone. I have decided to keep the DTR. I have too much into her to just let it go. It still runs great other than a CEL for small evap leak. MartyO did a really good job on it, and I put quite a bit into front end repairs before it went to him. I will never get out of it what I put in. I'll just driver when I can and have fun. Thanks!

Glad to read you're keeping your car. Like you, I can't walk well either due to back injury.

My final employer took responsibility for my lower back, right shoulder (rotator cuff) and separated tendons in my right forearm, then backed out on the day of the first surgery. As part of the legal settlement, my employer paid cash but denied responsibility despite being there 13 years.

Worker's Comp wouldn't pay as a result and my group insurance wouldn't pay because these were clearly worker's comp issues. I paid for the tendon reattachment surgery out of pocket but the back and shoulder surgery will have to wait until at least February, 2020 as my agreement states I can't seek a remedy through Medicare before then.

Thinking I'm done buying vehicles for now, keeping all of them for the time being. With the Mustang, I have to roll out of the car and pull myself up. I occasionally have issues getting my bikes off of their centerstands so I enlist a neighbor when available. Have both a cane and walker that I use around the house on rare occasions.

I seem to be the last family member in the Charlotte region; have children and grand children in the Aiken - Batesburg area. Hoping to finalize plans to move down there later this year.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

The mm is much more comfortable and if you have trouble changing oil and spark plugs how will you manage a manual only car for daily use?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'04 Marauder #357 of 3213 - Built and Eaton swapped - "MERCD"
    '21 F150 XLT 5.0 Sport
    '18 Chevy Malibu Redline
    '15 Mustang GT, performance package
    '01 BMW 740i M-Sport, manual swapped
    '97 Lincoln Town Car (black on black)
    '10 Harley Ultra Limited
    '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
    '03 Grand Marquis(sold)

Ray! How you been? You left me all alone here in Upstate!

You should see the x-rays of my neck. 7 cervical vertebrea are now only 4. Just one really big one!

To heck with it, I'm still drag racing, but gave up the motorcycle.
    Built: 3/16/2004
    Number 9,879 of 11,052 for Total Production
    Number 2,040 of 3,213 for 2004 Model Year
    Number 663 of 980 Dark Toreador Red Produced
    Dark Charcoal Interior - CD Changer - Heated Seats - Trunk Oganizer - Moonroof - Rear Deck Spoiler
    Trilogy S/C kit #224 installed August 2010
    Detroit Tru-Trac 31 spline with 4.10 gearset
    Must - Go - Faster !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information