Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 15S39 LCM Bypass Recall - Documented

Quote Originally Posted by 03Merc View Post
    I had the recall done and My brake lights won't come on either. Have to press the pedal pretty hard.
    So your brake lights DO come on, you just have to apply more pressure to the pedal. Check to see if the "tech" who performed the joke fix possibly dislodged the BOO switch or rerouted the wiring incorrectly.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    So your brake lights DO come on, you just have to apply more pressure to the pedal. Check to see if the "tech" who performed the joke fix possibly dislodged the BOO switch or rerouted the wiring incorrectly.

The tech said the revised the brake light switch because of connection issues internally. I may throw a switch at it just to see how it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 03Merc View Post
    The tech said the revised the brake light switch because of connection issues internally. I may throw a switch at it just to see how it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sometimes the "push" bar on the switch becomes warped or bent. When you replace the switch check the connector and wires real good.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I am also a ford tech. I totally agree with you. Im not gonna cut the wiring up on my Marauder.

ed

I'm wondering what percentage of these failed? I read where 5% was considered a major failure? I have the recall notice in hand but lights are working fine - have Marauder up for sale. I'm reminded of a non-hack repair performed on my Mustang last year. The 20a fuse for the driver's seat would pop intermittently - replaced it with a 20a circuit breaker - no more issues so far.
    Current Garage:

2005 Mustang GT Premium
    2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crewcab 4WD
    2015 Triumph Trophy SE

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
    Love like you'll never be hurt,
    Sing like there's nobody listening,
    And live like it's heaven on earth.”
    William W. Purkey

Thanks for the info. I have 2004 Merc Gran Marquis. Tail lights, markers lights went out once or twice over like 6 months. Finally 1 day, headlights went out.
    Had the recall notices for a couple of years. I figured that I'd let a local, well reputable dealer do the LCM recall work. Never, ever did they mention that they
    were going to only "jerry rig" this with a half-ass "by pass kit". The tail lights kept failing of course. Had my regular shop spend a few hours trying to figure out
    the tail light marker light failure(s). We assumed that the LCM had been replaced... Replaced the headlight switch on the dash, special order, could not return, did not help.
    Tried installing a new " all-in-one" switch on the steering column, did not help. Went back to dealer, said it was " body control module". Then dealer called back, said it wasn't that,
    that it was the the LCM... Then they explained that they didn't originally replace the LCM, that they only did the LCM bypass kit... Which was all the recall called for: a repair to
    prevent the headlights from going out unexpectedly... So now they could replace the LCM, which they should have done to begin with, for around $650. including labor...
    But, this would take another week or 2, because of a back order on parts..... eye, yi, yi ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fatssstrucker View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have 2004 Merc Gran Marquis. Tail lights, markers lights went out once or twice over like 6 months. Finally 1 day, headlights went out.
    Had the recall notices for a couple of years. I figured that I'd let a local, well reputable dealer do the LCM recall work. Never, ever did they mention that they
    were going to only "jerry rig" this with a half-ass "by pass kit". The tail lights kept failing of course. Had my regular shop spend a few hours trying to figure out
    the tail light marker light failure(s). We assumed that the LCM had been replaced... Replaced the headlight switch on the dash, special order, could not return, did not help.
    Tried installing a new " all-in-one" switch on the steering column, did not help. Went back to dealer, said it was " body control module". Then dealer called back, said it wasn't that,
    that it was the the LCM... Then they explained that they didn't originally replace the LCM, that they only did the LCM bypass kit... Which was all the recall called for: a repair to
    prevent the headlights from going out unexpectedly... So now they could replace the LCM, which they should have done to begin with, for around $650. including labor...
    But, this would take another week or 2, because of a back order on parts..... eye, yi, yi ...
    I could have saved you all that trouble by repairing your LCM.................. oh well.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Fatssstrucker View Post
    What ever you do, do NOT let the dealer do the LCM recall repair on your car. They will butcher the heck out of your wiring. Have FBM or someone just do a relay upgrade on your LCM = lifetime repair.

WLB
    BB#1) 1996 ImpalaSS - 16,500 miles - 100% stock
    ______________________________ ___________

BB#2) 2003 Marauder (300a) - 34k miles - Daily Driver
    #2912 of 7093
    Conceived 8/6/2002
    Delivered 9/19/2002
    Adopted 8/10/2011
    Trilogy 242 - Self Installed 9/9/12 (0-60 5.5 sec)
    Pioneer 6x8 Front
    Legacy 600w 6x9 Rears
    JL 6.5 SubWoofer
    K&N CAI
    Window tint 50% rear/35% front
    FBM CHMSL with Strobe mod 7/1/12
    DR Deep Aluminum Trans Pan
    Sparta FOMOCO Racing 8.8 Girdle
    Mo's Dyno Tune
    Gorilla Nuts - The System
    Ford Racing 4.10s, 31 spline Cobra carrier & axles 7/1/12
    Powder Coat Axle Housing 7/1/12
    CME HP Rear Control Arms & Watts Link 7/1/12
    ______________________________ ________________

Rex "SC Cheesehead" Weinbender 11-14-13
    Ed "Baaad GN" Linthicum 8-6-2014

Do not pay for the LCM. Get. Ford to cover it as it was recalled originally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKMARAUDER04 View Post
    Do not pay for the LCM. Get. Ford to cover it as it was recalled originally.

This is true, but................. since new LCM's are NOT available from the dealer, the Ford approved repair is to hack the wiring to bypass the LCM. As you can see from Fatssstruckers post, that is what the dealer did..... hack up the wiring.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

There are plenty of new LCMs available from Ford. If you have not had it replaced before, they should replace it at no charge under the original recall.
    In my case, they have replaced it twice in my black under the recall. The new way would be the hack. I have 2 LCMs in my garage that have been repaired in case the ones in the car go bad.
    My black still has the second one in it, my silver has one from a junkyard I purchased so I could get the original repaired.

LCM part 4W7Z-13C788-BD.
    Tasca parts says:
    MSRP:
    $379.89
    Discount:
    $147.97 (39% off)
    Sale Price:
    $231.92
    Core Charge:
    $50.00 Core Charge Applies

I have the 15S39 fix as of Oct 2019 according to my receipts

I live in South Florida and will FIX your LCM with a relay (concealed inside) free if you cover shipping to/from me. Email BadMerc@gmail.com
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

I tried searching LCM and the search says nothing found, wasn't there a post here somewhere on performing the fix yourself somewhere here. I just picked up a backup LCM and want to fix it so I have a known good one waiting on the shelf for the if/when event of it going bad occurs.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information