Thread: Parking brake?

Question Parking brake?

OK, is it an "E" brake or a "parking" brake? I've always known it as a parking brake because that's what normally set before you get out of your car. Long time of driving a stick shift here. Unless you want it to roll into a Honda or something else. Petro!
    My understanding because I've tried it, that it doesn't do well in emergences, try it yourself when it really matters. I was taught that it was made so pressure would be taken off the gears in stick cars or parking tooth in auto trannys so nothing would break and the car would not roll... where, anywhere. normally
    So what gives? Is it an "E" or a "P"?

Now, before you jump, go back to an earlier time where everything was a stick shift. If you didn't have it in gear you set the "PARKING BRAKE". Those were the most of the cars I've ever owned. I can get into detail but I decided not too. Thanks everyone.

Sorry guys, this was part of a vent for me. No more soap box.

Definition: Parking brake: The mechanical hand- or foot-operated brake that prevents the vehicle from rolling or slipping when parked. (stationary)

Look up "E" brake.
    2003A Mercury Marauder. Sold it, miss it.

USMC 06-10-96 to 06-21-06. AH-1W and UH-1N!!!! OORAH!!

Quote Originally Posted by torinodan
    OK, is it an "E" brake or a "parking" brake? I've always known it as a parking brake because that's what normally set before you get out of your car. Long time of driving a stick shift here. Unless you want it to roll into a Honda or something else. Petro!
    My understanding because I've tried it, that it doesn't do well in emergences, try it yourself when it really matters. I was taught that it was made so pressure would be taken off the gears in stick cars or parking tooth in auto trannys so nothing would break and the car would not roll... where, anywhere. normally
    So what gives? Is it an "E" or a "P"?

Now, before you jump, go back to an earlier time where everything was a stick shift. If you didn't have it in gear you set the "PARKING BRAKE". Those were the most of the cars I've ever owned. I can get into detail but I decided not too. Thanks everyone.

Sorry guys, this was part of a vent for me. No more soap box.

Definition: Parking brake: The mechanical hand- or foot-operated brake that prevents the vehicle from rolling or slipping when parked. (stationary)

Look up "E" brake.
    I can remember back to my parents chevy that had the words "Emergency Brake" on the Pull release handle on the lower left hand side of the dash. I agree with you that it should be called the parking brake However, If you lost all your brake fluid because of a broken brake line or if the master cylinder took a crap, The "Emergency Brake" is mechanical and it could very well be used to stop the car should the Hydraulic Brake system fail. Or in Other Words, A Emergency! lol
    Last edited by Blackened300a; 08-28-2005 at 12:57 AM.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

well,.. I'll use the Parking brake when working on the MM for now on,... unless it's an emergency,.. then I'll use the 'E' Brake!!

I use it all the time when parking.

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

Quote Originally Posted by Defyant
    I use it all the time when parking.
    Absolutely!

If you rarely, or worse, never use it, chances are that when you do try to use it the cables will be rusty.
    You'll end up with the parking brake stuck partially 'on' and smoke the brake pads.
    (In the case of our Marauders, there is a seperate small drum brake assembly in the center of the rear disc brake 'hat'.)

Just ask my girlfriend.....I used her parking brake when I drove her car and it stuck 'on' because she hardly ever used her parking brake.

BTW: I love cars with hand pull parking brakes because they are much easier to use when you want to bleed off speed without activating your brake lights....
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

What if it's a "parking emergency"?

Then what?

Huh?
    2003 Marauder 300A
    Trilogy Supercharger Serial #0054
    Installed by Carfixer 10/16/2004

Tallboy's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Walsh
    BTW: I love cars with hand pull parking brakes because they are much easier to use when you want to bleed off speed without activating your brake lights....
    And why pray-tell would you want to do that?
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy

Then what?

Huh?
    Thats when the the parking break becomes the emrgency break. You must remember to engage the hazard lights too.

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy

Then what?

Huh?
    Is this when your sliding into a parking spot a Wal-Mart trying to beat someone else?
    2003A Mercury Marauder. Sold it, miss it.

USMC 06-10-96 to 06-21-06. AH-1W and UH-1N!!!! OORAH!!

Thread Information