Thread: Smog check with tune

Smog check with tune

Anyone running a DR tune in Ca try getting a smog certification with tune onboard? My '04 is stock except for a K & N intake, and intake spacer.

I did fix a vibration that happened at idle to about 2k rpm, changed the plugs, to Autolite AP 104s and in the process found # 5 loose and oil coated. What a difference.

I am not, but let us know how you do on the smog. My tuner is coming shortly, and I also have an 04 in California.

Anthony
    Previous
    2003 DPB 232 fo 328.

How do they do the smog check? In N.C. they just check the OBDI for any codes.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Smog cert

I haven't had to do one in six years, but as far as I remember it consists of 1. Visual inspection. 2. OBD II connecton for codes, ( none on my car according to my SCT tuner, even with the now corrected misfire.) 3. Driven wheels on dyno run at certain engine rpms, with tailpipe sniffer alll while the smog machine is connected to DMV in Sacramento'

If it has changed much. like previously stated I haven't done one since before the car was put in service, on my old Accord.

Since I am running the tune and K & N intake , I would like to know if I have to remove the tune and reinstall the stock airbox, to pass the visual and electronic inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by walela1 View Post
    I haven't had to do one in six years, but as far as I remember it consists of 1. Visual inspection. 2. OBD II connecton for codes, ( none on my car according to my SCT tuner, even with the now corrected misfire.) 3. Driven wheels on dyno run at certain engine rpms, with tailpipe sniffer alll while the smog machine is connected to DMV in Sacramento'

If it has changed much. like previously stated I haven't done one since before the car was put in service, on my old Accord.

Since I am running the tune and K & N intake , I would like to know if I have to remove the tune and reinstall the stock airbox, to pass the visual and electronic inspection.
    I don't think you'd have too.

I pass the visual inspection with a JLT, and 2 cats instead of the original 4.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

besides checking for powertrain error codes, most states also check "obd2 readiness monitors". massachusetts allows 1 monitor not ready/not implemented for the 2001+ cars. and two monitors not ready/not implemented for the 1996-2000 cars. if you have obd2 turned off in your tune so that all obd2 monitors are "not implemented", you will have big problems passing the smog inspection.

if you have swapped in a powertrain control module from another car, you might also have problems passing due to a VIN mismatch. not all pcm's have the vehicle identification number (vin) stored in them, but most of the recent ones do.

Your not going to fail the sniffer with just a tune and K&N. Your CAI does have a oe number from k&n so I wouldn't worry at all. I passed the visual on my jlt cai and passed the sniffer with the mods listed in my sig. Minus the exhaust I am putting that on now.
    Last edited by dohc324ci; 06-09-2010 at 05:53 AM.
    2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
    FRPP BOSS50 Block w/MMR 900S Stroker 5.3L DOHC 324ci 10:1cr - (321rwhp/360.5rwtq) - Tuned by AED

2006 Ford Mustang GT
    FRPP FR3 Handling Pack|FRPP X Pipe w/GTA Exhaust|Steeda CAI|Hurst Shifter
    (289rwhp/307rwtq)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LQ4 6.0L LT 4WD
    Cognito leveling Kit, Fox 2.0, BFG KOA2 Radial All Terrains, Magnaflow, K&N and 4.10 gears

the majority of states with smog inspections don't even do an exhaust pipe sniffer check on the 1996+ cars anymore. they just plug into the obd2 port under the dashboard. if all the required monitors say they are ready and you don't have any powertrain error codes present, then you pass the emissions portion of the inspection.

if you've got access to a good aftermarket obd2 scantool that can show you obd2 monitor status, then you'll know whether your car will pass your states smog inspection before you even drive into the inspection station bay.

Quote Originally Posted by dohc324ci View Post
    Your not going to fail the sniffer with just a tune and K&N. Your CAI does have a oe number from k&n so I wouldn't worry at all. I passed the visual on my jlt cai and passed the sniffer with the mods listed in my sig. Minus the exhaust I am putting that on now.
    Last edited by 2vmodular; 06-09-2010 at 07:36 AM.

here's how ford complies with the federal obd2 requirements in the 2003 model year:

http://www.p71interceptor.com/obd2guides/obdsm307.pdf

and here's the info for the 2004 model year cars:

http://www.p71interceptor.com/obd2guides/OBDSM407.pdf

you shouldnt have a problem. i have an 03 with removed rear cats, a zack tune, and a jlt intake. mine passed last month.
    #5597 of 7839 in 2003
    Eibach front lowered springs
    aero turbine 2525 mufflers
    2.5" classglass hood
    badgeless grill
    JLT CAI
    SCT X3 w/ Marty O tune

^^NICE! need to leave mine off then we it all comes back together...
    FRPP BOSS50 Block w/MMR 900S Stroker 5.3L DOHC 324ci 10:1cr - (321rwhp/360.5rwtq) - Tuned by AED

2006 Ford Mustang GT
    FRPP FR3 Handling Pack|FRPP X Pipe w/GTA Exhaust|Steeda CAI|Hurst Shifter
    (289rwhp/307rwtq)

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LQ4 6.0L LT 4WD
    Cognito leveling Kit, Fox 2.0, BFG KOA2 Radial All Terrains, Magnaflow, K&N and 4.10 gears

Smog cert redux

The happy aftermath of the story is that after work yesterday I took the car and had the smog certfication done, with no problems, ( excluding the win95 based Bear machine aborting the first test through no fault of the car.)

Left the tune, and The K & N CAI. The car not only passed , but the numbers were way under the average measured levels, including zero CO emissions. I do run 3oz of Acetone per tank of 91 octane, and that is supposed to help reduce emissions.

Michael

Good to hear. I have my K&N and it came with a EO number so they never say anything about that. I wondered about the tune myself since I was thining about eventually getting a tune. Good to hear they may not be an issue.

Thread Information