Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spark Plug Rethread

Quote Originally Posted by MyBlackBeasts View Post
    Isn't it amazing the bs shops/techs will tell customers... Makes me ashamed for the industry...

OP, glad you are repaired & back on the road!
    Thanks brother. Your right though did feel suspicious to me when i went through all that trouble and then suddenly everything is "within spec". I'm sure you can get a camera in there to check but still...didn't realize threading had specifications till I went to the shop haha

Hey Folks. Reviving this thread again.

It's gotten a little colder here in Nashville this past week and have been getting misfire codes again. Car was sitting outside all day and started it at about 50 degrees and noticed the car had trouble idling and all kinds of ticking noises. Got a misfire code for cylinder 3 and a code for other misfires. This was the same cylinder/spark plug that was giving me issues from the beginning. Does the cold temps have anything to do with the aluminum heads shrinking and loosening up the spark plug? Sounds silly but i dont know anymore this issue doesn't seem to go away.

Thanks!

First, pull all your plugs and take a look at them, make note if any were loose. Second, how many miles on the coil packs? Do you have a custom tune in it?

Quote Originally Posted by justgod View Post
    First, pull all your plugs and take a look at them, make note if any were loose. Second, how many miles on the coil packs? Do you have a custom tune in it?
    I had all the plugs tightened recently to what the dealership called "within spec" so I'd be surprised if one came loose again. Coil packs probably have 4,000-5,000 miles on them so fairly new. The car is tuned with an SCT tuner but unfortunately i do not know how to figure out what the tune has done to the car as it was done by the previous owner.

You can hook a laptop up through the sct tuner and datalog misfires and all sorts of parameters. Do you have a wideband?

Quote Originally Posted by Nashmarauder View Post
    Hey Folks. Reviving this thread again.

It's gotten a little colder here in Nashville this past week and have been getting misfire codes again. Car was sitting outside all day and started it at about 50 degrees and noticed the car had trouble idling and all kinds of ticking noises. Got a misfire code for cylinder 3 and a code for other misfires. This was the same cylinder/spark plug that was giving me issues from the beginning. Does the cold temps have anything to do with the aluminum heads shrinking and loosening up the spark plug? Sounds silly but i dont know anymore this issue doesn't seem to go away.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nashmarauder View Post

"Was surprised after the one spark plug blew out the engine that that hole didn't need to be rethreaded but I'll have to take ford's word for it."
    I had a feeling your fix was not going to last long. They lied to you and probably just forced the spark plug back in and called it good. You're going to need the timesert kit at the very least. I did it on my old police interceptor and it lasted for a while.

98 P71 SOLD

2003 MARAUDER - BLACK ~ Race Car
    2003 MARAUDER - DARK BLUE PEARL ~ DD
    2002 Crown Vic Sport ~ top secret project car

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information