Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cooling Mod

Cooling Mod

Dennis:

Had the cooling mod installed in June while I was in your shop. It has now turned colder here in Delaware and I'm having heater woes. I can't seem to get enough heat from the heater, regardless of which mode, or temp. that is selected. The heated air also turns cool when at idle, or as the rpm starts dropping below 2K. Since I don't know how the mod was actually supposed to be installed, I looked around. One head is joined into the return line from the heater, the other is joined into the supply line. Is this the way it was to be installed? Any input would be helpful. The temp gauge reads mid range, so it appears the engine is at the correct temp.

Thanks for your help!

Bob, USNavy Retired
    2010 Taurus SHO Red Candy Metallic
    402A, 5% tint, Valentine 1, Laser Blaster,
    Livernois Stage 2tune, Airaid CAI
    Corsa cat-back, Lower molding stripe
    Born 10/27/09, came home 2/20/10

'03 MM 300A Gone, but not forgotten!
    Born 9/25/02, went home 11/04/02, passed on 3/21/06, Mileage: 100K

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!" (Unknown source)

Hey Bob
    I have the same mod and thought i was having that problem at the first time i had to use the heat.it wouldnt get hot until it was fully warmed up and that still wasnt good until i drove it . But after that incident i havent had a problem since with the heater .but when it did happen that was the first thing that came to mind , cooling mod..You should call Dennis direct he will help you right there and then..hope you make out ok Buddy..

Is there air in the system?

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

Quote Originally Posted by Defyant
    Is there air in the system?
    I doubt it since the mod was installed in June '04.

Bob, USNavy Retired

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!" (Unknown source)

Quote Originally Posted by Murader03
    Dennis:

Had the cooling mod installed in June while I was in your shop. It has now turned colder here in Delaware and I'm having heater woes. I can't seem to get enough heat from the heater, regardless of which mode, or temp. that is selected. The heated air also turns cool when at idle, or as the rpm starts dropping below 2K. Since I don't know how the mod was actually supposed to be installed, I looked around. One head is joined into the return line from the heater, the other is joined into the supply line. Is this the way it was to be installed? Any input would be helpful. The temp gauge reads mid range, so it appears the engine is at the correct temp.

Thanks for your help!

Bob give me a call it may be as simple as the OAT sensor

I just had a member call me on the phone who was considering this mod and asked if I had a similar heating problem. For one I live in FL and have never turned on the heater till I tried it for him. After driving about 1 mile from my house I turned on the heater and instantly very hot air came out. It was also 83 degrees outside at the time, but the air was still very hot to make me think it was working properly. Sorry I don't live more north and freeze my ass off enough to try it out under more chilling circumstances.
    Empty Garage, but Fat bank account

First of all I need to know if the car in question has my transmission cooler on it, if the OAT sensor reading is off for example if it is showing a warmer OAT than what it realy is the heater will be effected, the rear cooling mod should not lower the heater out put because the water temp does not change that much we are just talking about better water flow out the back of the heads,

Ah the good ole days..... In my 86 Bronco, I'd just stick a piece of cardboard in the grill.... I wouldnt do that on this car!

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

It got cool enough to use my heater this weekend. Worked just fine, I've had the cooling mod since spring.
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Reinhart
    First of all I need to know if the car in question has my transmission cooler on it, if the OAT sensor reading is off for example if it is showing a warmer OAT than what it realy is the heater will be effected, the rear cooling mod should not lower the heater out put because the water temp does not change that much we are just talking about better water flow out the back of the heads,
    Dennis:
    I'll give you a call later this morning. FYI, no I "Do not" have the transmission cooler. Only your cooling mod, and tranny upgrade. As far as I can tell, the OAT seems to be working okay, but we'll talk about it. What I don't understand, is why the heated air turns cool, or even cold, while at idle.

Bob, USNavy Retired

I have the kit on two cars here both heaters will run you out of the car, I would look and see if a hose is pinched, also let the car warm up and put your hands on both hoses going into the dash/heater core and see if there hot, and call me when you can.

Bob/Marauder03,
    What is the good/bad word on your lack of heat in your car? Was hoping you would post the outcome of your trials and dealer visit.
    GordonB
    2003 MM DBP (BLUE) (300B) w/Lt Flint (Hers); htd seats, 6 CD. PCM s/w level CRD1.
    Mods:Trunk Liner from Decklid Designs, Sunroof (ASC Model 840), McGard wheel locks, Godshead badges--steering & grill (fm Ron), Mac/Marty's Fender Badges, Silverstar Headlights, FLM accs--rear spoiler, door edge guards & trunk organizer. Bob White graphics. KB Dead Pedal & Polished Alum. Pedals. M&Z rear cntrl arms. DR (Addco) rear sway bar (24mm). Pro-Gard rear close-out panel. TCE Perf. braided SS brake lines.
    Born 5/22/03 and adopted 7/21/03. One of 328 DBP for 2003 out of 7838. Build seq. nbr: 7500 of 7838. Color seq. nbr: 282 of 328.

2004 DTR MM w/Lt Flint (His) with htd seats, 6 CD, Fact. Sunroof; born 6/15/04, adopted 7/8/04; one of 980 DTR for 2004 out of 3213. Upgraded same as Blue MM. Build seq. nbr: 3165 of 3214. Color seq. nbr: 973 of 980.

Other cars: '00 'Vette Coupe (Nassau Blue). '14 Vette Coupe (Lime Rock Green)
    Car Clubs: MBCC

Quote Originally Posted by GordonB
    Bob/Marauder03,
    What is the good/bad word on your lack of heat in your car? Was hoping you would post the outcome of your trials and dealer visit.
    GordonB
    Okay, here's the latest, good, bad, or indifferent. The temp coming off the heads is 190 deg. The hoses "do not" even get hot enough where you can't keep your hand on them. The bottom raditor hose, even setting in the servcie bay and reving the engine never really get hot. The wrenches at the dealer are going to replace the pullies, like a dummy, I didn't get my old ones from Dennis, so will have to buy new ones. Will then replace the pullies, and the thermostat with OEM stuff and try again. Until then, I'm still without heat. Don't get me wrong, I have warmth, it just won't get hot, and at idle I have nothing.

Bob, USNavy Retired

Head cooling mod, underdrive pulleys with upped in-gear idle for low voltage - no heat problems yet. It'll put out HOT air at any rpm / speed if I want it. We'll see when it gets really cold.

Bob,

A couple thoughts:

Have you tried just the "vent" setting? My MM's climate control seems to get a little goofy with the climate control in "automatic" when its cold out. The automatic temperature control / fan speed still works, so I've just been leaving it in vent unless I need to defrost then I manually switch it.

Also, has your svc dept pulled a vacuum on your cooling system and pressure tested it to make sure you don't have any air in the system?

- JD

Quote Originally Posted by Murader03
    Okay, here's the latest, good, bad, or indifferent. The temp coming off the heads is 190 deg. The hoses "do not" even get hot enough where you can't keep your hand on them. The bottom raditor hose, even setting in the servcie bay and reving the engine never really get hot. The wrenches at the dealer are going to replace the pullies, like a dummy, I didn't get my old ones from Dennis, so will have to buy new ones. Will then replace the pullies, and the thermostat with OEM stuff and try again. Until then, I'm still without heat. Don't get me wrong, I have warmth, it just won't get hot, and at idle I have nothing.

I have stock pullies I will overnight them to you, but I do not feel this will fix the problem, normally with UDP the car may run warmer do to the larger WP Pulley, since the pump is turning less. But lets give it a try if they think it will help
    Last edited by Dennis Reinhart; 11-14-2004 at 09:16 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information