Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 94-96 Impala SS vs 03-04 Marauder, no not about 1/4 mile times........

94-96 Impala SS vs 03-04 Marauder, no not about 1/4 mile times........

Lately I have been thinking about what i want to get to replace my GTP once it is sol, 2 cars stick out in price, reliability and performance. Those are the Impala SS and Mercury Marauder. I love both cars and even have a 93 Cadillac Fleetwood as a daily driver (if only it had the LT1, sigh ). Anyways, I'll start with the Impala.

Why it was a success.

Whan the Impala came out in 94 it simply had the performance, handling, acceleration, or the best german sedans. You could take an Impala and run with or beat a new Mustang GT. The look was absolutely aggressive and out standing and it was something the likse of hadn't been seen for years. A true large American performance sedan. It even got exemplary gas mileage for the (my B4U Caprice averaged around 24 MPG in mixed driving, my roadmaster 26). The only thing that killed the Impala and it's B-body couterparts was the profitibity of trucks at the time and the were displace so their plant could make the fullsize versions. It's looks have carried on as classic and it's performance is still lively today, though as impressive as it was in mid 90s. Today you have run of the mill Family sedans running in the 14s (Altima, Maxima, Accord, Grand Prix GTP, Buick Regal GS and even Camry) and the 13s (Bonneville GXP, Impala SS) as such the value seems to finally be slcking off, though the main reason for that is more than cars like the Charger, the 300C, SRT versions of those cars, and the upcoming Pontiac G8, which brings us the Marauder......

Why it failed:

Simply put, too little too late. By the time the Marauder was introduced it would have made a great competitor for the Impala, except the Impala had been introduced nearly 10 years ago and been of production for 7 of those. By the time the Marauder came out those forementioned wquick family haulers were already out, and already quicker, and in many instances 1000s of dollars less expensive. The issue got worse with the intro of the 300C in mid 04 (as an 05 model). it offered superior design, superior performance, and even superior gas mileage, an extra cog in the transmission, and Benz underpinnings for the same price. Not to mention the high end V8s from the luxo manufactures (and in some cases even the bas V6s) offered superior performance to the Marauder (IMHO, the LX Mopars do what the Impala did in the mid 90s, offering German car performance for 1/2 the price or LESS). IMHO, this is why we will NEVER see the marauder hold it's value like the Impala did. IF iy had been offered in the mid 90s (Ford could have easily done this with 4.6 DOHC in the Mark VIII since 93) and with the considerably lighter (aero 92-97) GM and turned that into a marauder, we would have a fun time. Heck, on the lighter chasis the MArauder could have by all means, been a superior performer to the Impala, but alas, it was too little too late.

Now I am not saying the Impala is a better car than the Rauder, just that it had the performance to stand out in the time it was offered, the Marauder did not.

My opinion and comparisons. Now I have not driven an Impala SS, but have owned a Caprice B4U with is very similar. i have Driven a Marauder though.

Perforamcne is generally a wash, handling, acceleration (except 0-60 where the Lt1s have a nice advantage). I like the feel of the LT1 better, but prefer the steering in the Marauder.

Intterior: Here I have to give the nod to the Rauder if only barely. It is a little better executed and has considerably more features, though I can't say i like the seats very much.

Exterior: I personally have to give the nod to the Impala, I just like the more low slung look better and the wider looking stance. the Marauder looks pretty damned good, especially in black or silver, but it is taller and brings more Crown Vic/Grand Marquis in the look than the Impala brought of the Caprice.

Reliability: Nearly a wash here, but from my own experiences (96 Roadmaster, 06 Caprice, 93 Fleetwood, 97 CVPI ,, and 94 grand Marquis) I have to give the nod to the B-bodies, even if barely, both should serve you well. I would like to not it seems like both share one great weakness, the transmission, though this seems like an issue in most domestic (and honestly foriegn cars), and really takes hold once modifications are done.

Modability:

Both cars have a nice aftermarket thanks to their ponycar cousins, but I have to give this one to the Impala. What do you want? Well the Impala offers it. Want to run 11s on motor? We got you covered, wanna go 10s? What is your pleasure, nitrous, stroked, supercharger, turbocharger? It's avail and at a much lower cost than midfying the 4 valve Marauder. yes, i LOVE a trilogy SCed Marauder, would love to have one, but you can get an NA Impala to run just as well.

Hopefully sometime in the next few moths, once i sell the GTP and save up some money, I will betting of these, probably a Marauder, a lower mileage one with warranty thanks Then hopefully pick up an Impala to tinker with and use the rauder as the daily driver. I just think it is sill when someone downs the Impalas and B-bodies for some reason, because in many ways the cars are so similar in EVERY aspect that you are downing your own car.
    1997 CVPI SOLD
    Now 2007 Jeep Patriot 4x4 Sport FOR SALE
    2001 Dakota Motorsports with 4.7 high output swap.

Performance wise bone stock Marauder wins, look at all the stats online.

To each their own, I know when I was in high school and the 94-96 Impala SS came out I was ready to give my left jewel for one but it wasn't going to happen since I wasn't 16 yet lol. Before I bought my MM I had just been in a really bad accident from getting hit by a drunk driver in the rear of my car that was going over 100 mph. So I knew I had to have something big but it couldn't be slow or ugly. I looked for almost a solid month for a 96 Impala SS and nothing then I saw some vehicles listed to compare with it, one was a 2004 Mercury Marauder.....the rest is history.

I know an 94 SS owner that wants a MM very badly now, he told me so last night after he had nothing left past 130mph and I just cruised on by past him till we met up 20 mins at the same gas station lol.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Actually the quickest Impala ran a 14.7 bone stock and i believe the quickest Marauders ran the same, so it's a wash, and this is the kind of post i expected in reply, was hoping I might be surprised though, sigh.........

Oh, and what do have done to your rauder running 14.23? there is a local guy here that used to have one and ran 14.3 with just long tube headers and a tune and another running 12.1 ALL MOTOR.
    1997 CVPI SOLD

being a GM man all my life i always favored the Impala SS...i was 13 when the SS came out and have loved it ever since..but when i got my 38k mile 2001 Grand Marquis in 2005 i fell in love w/ the panther platform, it had the same underpinnig as all the big GM's ive owned(88 fleetwood,84 caprice,79 delta 85 grand prix)gearbox steering,shocks and springs in frnt,frame w/body,RWD,,so it had everything i personally wanted in a car and had a few extras (overhead cam engine,newer styling)...it was the first Ford i had ever owned..and the first car i ever financed....and ill never regret it...i soon found my MM at a local dealer and did my research..i fell in love w/ it..since i have owned my MM i have become interested in other Ford products and engines...since i work on GM's all day every day and also work at a dealer w/ Dodge and Chrysler on the same lot, i regularly drive the 07 Impala SS and the GTP's and the 300C and Chargers...but nothing compares to when the clock strikes 5PM and i get into my MM and ride home...>MARAUDER

03 300A / 08-15-02 Build / #3525
    Gone But Not Forgotten
    03 SVT F-150 / 05-01-03 Build / #3553
    Lots Of Mods..13.5# boost
    04 SVT Cobra
    2.9 Whipple
    03 Harley F150
    Stock Boost...For Now

See, to me I really don't like the look of the Impala. It looks way too oversized compared to an MM. You're right though, they each have their own advantages. It really is entirely up to you. No one on this board, or any other board can reach into your pocket and make you pay for an SS or an MM. It's what YOU want sitting in your driveway everyday. For me though, the MM. You just can't compare the looks of it, the sound of it, everything.
    '03 A #1801 - Tuned By Outlaw Dyno
    445rwhp/408rwtq - 12.6/110mph
    DR Vortech NOIC #5
    Sold
    '88 Mustang LX - Built 306ci, built AOD, built 8.8"
    '11 F250 Powerstroke - 476hp/1208tq

Agreed, i love them both for different reasons, like I said I would like to have the Rauder to driver everyday, and just build the hell out of an Impala
    1997 CVPI SOLD

I Think one thing to consider is the Fact that the Impala SS has done very well holding its value. They were made in much higher numbers than the MM and I think are the only car to get a feel for how the MM will hold up in the future. Being that the MM is so much rarer I think they will hold their value well. Whens the last time you saw an Impala regardless of miles & conditon for under 10K?

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    So Stew, what is the point of this thread?

Did you start it just because you thought we were being mean to the Impala in the other thread?

Use the search function, it's all there from 4 to 5 years ago.

If you are actually in the market for either a Marauder or Impala make your decision and buy one.
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Actually the quickest Impala ran a 14.7 bone stock and i believe the quickest Marauders ran the same, so it's a wash, and this is the kind of post i expected in reply, was hoping I might be surprised though, sigh.........

Oh, and what do have done to your rauder running 14.23? there is a local guy here that used to have one and ran 14.3 with just long tube headers and a tune and another running 12.1 ALL MOTOR.
    Well like I said to each their own. I never said I didn't like the Impala SS, I think its one hell of a car and can be made into something great. If I had the extra money and room for another vehicle I would get one if it was stock and low mileage.

As far as my mods that I had when I did that run I had a JLT intake, GM COP, DR tune (tweaked user options) 2nd set of cats removed, flowmaster mufflers, res-delete tips, bfg kdw2 255/55-18 rear tires at 25-26psi, no diet (taking things out) had 3/4 of a tank of gas, 60 lbs tool box, box of junk, box of car cleaning supplies, spare and subwoofer box in the trunk.

At Marauderville next week I'll have Zack's control arms, Addco Front/Rear sway bars, PHP intake spacer, NGK Plugs, 180 T-stat, PI 3500 Stall converter installed and whatever I don't need won't be in the car so I am going to guess in the 13.50-13.60 range or better is what I will be shoot for.

If you feel the SS fits your needs better then by all means that is the car for you. Like I said in my first post I was all about the SS when I started looking for another car but could not find any. Came across one Silver Brich MM in a 300 mile range off autotrader.com and it was just in the next county to me. I spent 3 whole days reading everything on this site before I was to have my appt to check the car out. Just reading how much everyone enjoyed their car made me think I would to and I was correct. Would I trade it for a mint SS? No, cause I'd like to have my cake and eat it to by having both hot rod saloon cars in my driveway.

My other choices of cars I was looking at was a Dodge Charger, 300 Hemi, Wrx STi, Evo Lancer, Grand Prix GXP and Ford Five Hundred. To me I think I got the best of everything, bad azz looks with the grapefruits to back it up.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Exhaust by Greg

Attachment 11284

The last good SuperSport Impala, the 1967 427 fastbacked stinger-hooded mammy jammy.
    Last edited by CBT; 02-15-2011 at 06:54 AM.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

For starters, yes, the other post got me thinking and I posted this LOL. And for the record I DO want to have my cake and eat it too, 04 MM for daily, 95-96 SS for the weekends and a nice project. you can now find decent impalas for considerably less than ever. There was a nice 60k mile one on the Impala forum a bit ago that was awfully tempting, but i wasn't looking at the time, tand the GTP has to go first anyways. that, and getting an autoloan on car that old is nearly impossible. All i know is that values are dropping. New competition and gases prices are going to play havoc with these 2 cars values anyways. Possibly, in the future when gas prices and insurance prices drive the performance segment away again, they may both start raising value, but for the forseeable future, from what I can tell, they are going to drop. bad or you guys, good for me
    1997 CVPI SOLD

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    For starters, yes, the other post got me thinking and I posted this LOL. And for the record I DO want to have my cake and eat it too, 04 MM for daily, 95-96 SS for the weekends and a nice project. you can now find decent impalas for considerably less than ever. There was a nice 60k mile one on the Impala forum a bit ago that was awfully tempting, but i wasn't looking at the time, tand the GTP has to go first anyways. that, and getting an autoloan on car that old is nearly impossible. All i know is that values are dropping. New competition and gases prices are going to play havoc with these 2 cars values anyways. Possibly, in the future when gas prices and insurance prices drive the performance segment away again, they may both start raising value, but for the forseeable future, from what I can tell, they are going to drop. bad or you guys, good for me
    and why not have your cake and eat it too?
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

That's what I don't understand is when I hear people complaing about, "Oh I hate my truck so much I don't know why it does so bad on gas." I ask them, "What kind of truck is it?" "Oh it's an F-350 V10 Lariat 4x4" ".......Do you think it's a Civic?" Same goes for car people too. You buy an MM or an SS and you know at best you might get 18 mpg in city and 24-26 on the highway. Typically we all usually average what, 14-17 in city?
    '03 A #1801 - Tuned By Outlaw Dyno
    445rwhp/408rwtq - 12.6/110mph
    DR Vortech NOIC #5
    Sold
    '88 Mustang LX - Built 306ci, built AOD, built 8.8"
    '11 F250 Powerstroke - 476hp/1208tq

With the driving I do i could always average 24 MPG in my Caprice and 28 on highway jaunts, and averaged 21 in my old Vic. i'd hope i could pull at least 22 from a Rauder. my caddy gets 17-18, but is in bad need of a tune-up. As long as I can get 20+ I am happy. I heavily considered a new Hondat Fit, 15k and 35+ MPG, but the more I thought about it, the more i know i'll be tired of it really quick. So i know what you mean, i have heard people say the same things then it ends up they either driving a huge SUV or a fullsize pickup with the biggest gas engine they can get LOL Anyways, I figure I can give up gas milage for something I will keep and enjoy LOL. And i will have my cake and eat it too, but I have a sucky job and am more interesting in one good vehicle and getting a house (tired of renting LOL).
    1997 CVPI SOLD

I get around 16mpg on mine. When I bought it I didn't give a quack about the gas, I knew it was going to be hefty but I wouldn't have it any other way. This past weekend I actually was able to hit over 300 miles to a total tank for the first time ever lol. I could of gotten more if I wasn't doing 80 + on highway for 4 hrs lol.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Exhaust by Greg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information