Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cooling Mod

Quote Originally Posted by massacre View Post
    +65,000 about the cooling mod.

Every 4V modular motor that I have torn down, the driver's side head was a lot darker in color than the passenger side head, indicating to me that the driver's side head runs hotter than the passenger side head.
    It's just my preference to run it, a lot of people think that it doesn't do squat.
    To each his own....

Edit:

I'm pretty sure that write-up that was posted was actually written years ago by Jerry Wroblowski (of "J-mod" fame).
    Can anyone confirm? I am 99% sure on this.

Either way, it is good info on these motors and how the cooling system works.
    According to this the rear cooling mod is more specific to the 03-04 head design. Any V8 can benefit from rear cooling crossover but in most cases this is a high performance option

FORD KNOWLEDGEBASE OASIS 4.6 DOHC:
    TSB'S MISC

Known Problems:

1.Coolant Flow (cylinder head) - 2003-2004 DOHC heads have a flawed casting and coolant flow design on the first revision of the head that causes coolant to dead end in the back of the driver side head and causes the 7 & 8 cylinders to run hotter than the others. This results in a ticking sound that occurs when the valve guides and/or seats warp due to running too hot and the ticking itself is the sound of the valves not seating correctly and tapping because of it. The problem is more prominent on the Cobra and Mach 1 due to their high performance nature and tendency to be driven hard.

This problem was also found on the 1999-2001 4.6L DOHC Mustang Cobras.

2.Dieseling Noise - Many times a dieseling noise is found to be from a loose timing gear retaining bolt. Easy fix just remove the cam cover and retighten the bolts to in/lb specs. Make sure the bolt is coated with a mild amount of teflon, but not threadlocker.

3.Oil Filter Suggestion - It is recommended that you use Motorcraft oil filters. They have a drain back valve that keeps oil from draining back to the pan when the engine is off. Most aftermarket filters do not. This prevents knocking on start up and eventual damage from it.

4.Oil Suggestion - Use only 5w20 weight oil if that's what it call's for. The tolerances are very tight in the valvetrain and any heavier of an oil can eventually cause valvetrain problems because the hydraulic components stay pumped up and never bleed down like they should when the engine is running

5.Timing Chain Tensioner - Ford Motor Company has told its dealers that 2000 through 2003 model year Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis vehicles may exhibit a grinding noise from the engine timing chain area. This noise, according to Ford, may be caused by excessive wear of the timing chain tensioner arms. The tensioner arm has an aluminum base with a nylon surface. The condition can also be detected by fine nylon and or aluminum particles present in the engine oil.

Bad timing chain tensioners have been reported on other 4.6L vehicles as well.

Pictures

2004 Crown Vic LX 150K Silver Birch with Light flint leather. Auto dim mirror, EATC and steering wheel radio controls. 21mm marauder rear sway bar and wood steering wheel. MM head unit , MM subwoofer coming (really) 04 P-71 80 mm MAF/ airbox 04 p71 zip tube 04 P-71 PCM swap. Heated mirrors with silver birch endcaps coming!!

Pictures

1996 Lincoln Town Car Signature
    Touring Edition 250K 2004 PI 2V swap complete! Sold

Pictures

74 Laguna S-3 Project car Original 400 Small block

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy View Post
    According to this the rear cooling mod is more specific to the 03-04 head design. Any V8 can benefit from rear cooling crossover but in most cases this is a high performance option

Yes he did this for me years ago, and the original post is in my forum with his name, I will be getting the fitings from the C&C shop this week the kits will be ready next week.

According to this the rear cooling mod is more specific to the 03-04 head design.
    Well it may be true according to that article, but EVERY one I have seen was darker on the driver's side. MarkVIIIs, Cobras, Continentals, etc.
    I just think they didn't really figure out the solution until '03-04.

Next time you see a 4V (like at the junkyard or something) pull off both cam covers and I bet it'll be darker on the driver's side.

Thanks for posting this Chevyguy. I wonder if I have this issue, or if my guides are warped.

Are you going to do the rear head cooling mod on your MM ?
    2021 F150 XLT Super Crew short bed - no chrome! - 3.5 Ecoboost 400hp/500tq - 36 Gal tank (600 miles) - 4x4 FX4 Offroad + Max Tow - 3.55 Locker - 10 Speed - Pro Power 2kva - 24mpg @ 80 Ford is still the best.
    03 300A - Number 1727
    - Super Touring - 10k in the best upgrades - 13.8@99 N/A - SOLD
    - STAP was so much fun, loved meeting you all and racing.

The DOHC engine has no watter flow out of the back of the drivers cylinder head some 2V are the same it is a good mod in many applications.

"flawed casting and coolant flow design on the first revision of the head"

So in my endless search for truth, would the later revision heads (9 thread sprak plug hole) be ok with the cooling flow? I've done a lot of research and never found a definite answer.
    11.931 @ 116.33 (MT ET Streets)
    12.073 @ 118.43 (Nitto 555)

I love the smell of Nitromethane and rubber in the morning!
    Drag racers prayer:
    As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
    "flawed casting and coolant flow design on the first revision of the head"

So in my endless search for truth, would the later revision heads (9 thread sprak plug hole) be ok with the cooling flow? I've done a lot of research and never found a definite answer.
    +65,000 on this, I have read it from numerous sources but haven't found anything concrete either.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information