Thread: EGT gauge and Air/Fuel gauges? Good idea or waste of time?

MI2QWK4U Guest

Question EGT gauge and Air/Fuel gauges? Good idea or waste of time?

A coworker that has experience supercharging cars told me I should install an EGT (exhaust gas temp) gauge when I install the blower. He says that is a good warning that something is wrong when the exhaust temp gets to hot in a supercharged car. Has anyone heard of this, if so, is there any validity or truth to it, and wouldnt hurt to install with the blower.

I would also like to know if anyone has used an air/fuel gauge in this setup, and if they are accurate and worth the trouble. If you havent guessed by now, I want to redo my guage setup one time and one time only when they are putting in the blower and it is easier to do.

So far, I am tossing around adding the boost gauge and trans temp gauge for sure. Not sure about the air/fuel gauge or the EGT gauge. Any thoughts on any or all of this?!

Just trying to do it right and one time!
    thanks
    Dave

The Air Fuel gauge accomplishes pretty much the same thing at the other end of the spectrum. Garbage in = Garbage out. The Air/Fuel gauge does work and I consider it a must in my modded vehicles...

On the new car, I'll be replacing the factory volt & oil pressure gauge with real ones, adding a trans temp to replace the cigarette lighter, and then putting Oil Temp and Air/Fuel on a Dual Guage Pillar Pod...

EGT is a valuable gauge, but man, there's only so much room to put them all in the car... I'd pick up Air/Fuel and Oil temp before EGT...

This is the first I've ever heard of an EGT guage on anything other than a turbocharged motor... and even then, I have ONLY seen them used on diesels. If there are people out there using EGT guages on other setups, then I suppose this is showing my ignorance. I like it when I learn something new!
    '03 300b - all the bolt-ons (SOLD)
    '93 Mustang Notch - restored w/ all the bolt-ons (SOLD)
    '97 F350 Powerstroke 5 spd, 4" straight pipe, 5" stacks, Rockford system, 35" tires...(SOLD)
    '95 Lightning - bolt-ons and susp (Totalled)
    '93 Stang Notch - full resto with autocross susp (SOLD)
    '01 Lightning - 3"/4" drop and full bolt-ons... FAST.

I've heard that A/F gauges are not accurate. But, I've only heard that.

Ideally, you should put an EGT gauge on each cylinder so that you know when one is lean. Otherwise, you'll need to put it on the cylinder which is typically leanest. Unfortunately, I don't know if anyone knows which one yet. For Cobras, its #7. If I had too much money, I'd put one on each cylinder.

EGT guage

What we use in testing on engines is just a temp readout that is located about 5" from the manifold flange. This tells us, as "warpath" said, which bank is running either rich or lean. The individual cylinders just clarify as to which is the suspect cylinder. This also helps intake tuning.
    2004 Marauder/ 1994 Thunderbird SuperCoupe/ 1983 Mustang GT

I'm going to sound in with Logan on this one - a properly installed A/F meter is accurate and a great way to monitor what's going on in the engine. The oil temp gauge is another very accurate and reliable way to 'see' inside. The EGT is also good, just another way of monitoring for a too rich / lean condition. Both work well, and if you have scads of $$ and dash space, you could install the JP Instruments EDM-700 computer for aircraft and have a bar graph to monitor each cylinder individually. I don't seriously think anyone would want to spend the money and give up the dash space for an EGT gauge, but the amount of information you can get from it is incredible. Maybe if my Mega Millions numbers come up...

Here is a link to the JP Instruments page so you know what I'm talking about - maybe someone with Neat S**t Syndrome worse than me will want one...

http://www.jpinstruments.com/
    Michael Floyd
    2004 300B

Jeff Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan
    The Air Fuel gauge accomplishes pretty much the same thing at the other end of the spectrum. Garbage in = Garbage out. The Air/Fuel gauge does work and I consider it a must in my modded vehicles...

On the new car, I'll be replacing the factory volt & oil pressure gauge with real ones, adding a trans temp to replace the cigarette lighter, and then putting Oil Temp and Air/Fuel on a Dual Guage Pillar Pod...

EGT is a valuable gauge, but man, there's only so much room to put them all in the car... I'd pick up Air/Fuel and Oil temp before EGT...
    I am quite familiar with my fake Oil Press. guage but what is wrong with the volt guage?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    I am quite familiar with my fake Oil Press. guage but what is wrong with the volt guage?
    The font for the lettering does not match the "real" oil pressure gauge. It works just fine.
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

I see that there are no custom gauge pillars for our cars, at least none that I could find.

What would one use to mount gauges to the a-pillar without doing something to kludgy?

Dan
    Last edited by Dan; 07-07-2004 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    I see that there are no custom gauge pillars for our cars, at least none that I could find.

What would one use to mount gauges to the a-pillar without doing something to kludgy?

Dan

I don't know from "kludgy" but I will tell you that Auotmeter makes a one and two gauge Marauder-specific pods for the A pillar. You can stack both and get three gauges on if that suits your fancy. Logan has pics of his car set up that way in the photo gallery.

Thanks. I checked again and found the autometer gauges.

Now, I can't find the photo of Logans car.

This must not be my day!

Best,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Thanks. I checked again and found the autometer gauges.

Now, I can't find the photo of Logans car.

This must not be my day!

Best,

Dan

[QUOTE=Logan] The Air/Fuel gauge does work and I consider it a must in my modded vehicles...QUOTE]

Where should this gauge be at when idleing??mine bounces from 29 to 30 is that normal??

Thread Information