Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circuit City

Circuit City

IS goin out.

Just a few things as a firedog inhome guy there.

1. Your warranty is not useless. There is a number to call for service, ill get the number. Send me a PM with your phone number that you bought it with, i can get you the warranty plan number and all the other BS as long as im in the system, but it needs to be quick.

2. I am outta a job first, they canned all the PC techs. I worked my damned ass off, we were one of the rare tech benches that got **** done (we had to break the rules a bit no doubt). Me and my partner are may be working at staples, as the whole techbench at a local staples just walked.

3. We got screw outta PTO pretty bad.

4. Assurant Solutions is the insurer of your TV/PC/whatever. Some stores have "Agent Desktop" and can go through there, but most dont, we were one of the few that did.

5. Got a PC out to service? If so, its getting shipped to your house. Have a PC in the store, better pick it up soon, otherwise within 30 days the liquidators will sell it.

As far as that goes, we have over 50 workorders open and our techbench is going tomorrow. Just a example of what we dealt with here. This is just a small shot of what we have.

Last edited by cvpiftw; 01-16-2009 at 11:43 PM.

haha clown car!

Sorry your outta work Ryan.
    "Bye Bye, Johnny B. Goode."

**** happens. I guess i didnt buy a marauder for a reason.

Sorry for you Ryan. My son works at a Circuit City in the warehouse and is looking for a new job too. Sucks because in the past year we bought a new DLP TV, laptop and other things, but did save a bunch of money because of the son's discounts. The writing has been on the walls for awhile though. It took over three weeks to get approval to get a new power cord for the daughters laptop, and now the laptop needs work.

Oh well, this economy is sucking up a lot of stuff and Circuit City is just the latest in a line of businesses going down.

Best of luck Ryan!
    Last edited by Starman; 01-17-2009 at 06:43 AM.

Sorry to hear this news. There was a story in our local paper this morning that the Circuit City near Potomac Mills was going out of business.
    They were spared the initial round of cuts in November and December. The announcement on Friday indicated that the remaining 567 stores nationwide will be closing.

I hate to say it; but I guess that I am partially at fault for this. Can't remember the last time that I was even inside our local Circuit City (years at least). The local competition from Best Buy has been intense and to be honest, Best Buy is more convenient from a location standpoint and they did a much better job of advertising saturation in our area. Don't know what they did elsewhere.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Really sorry to hear this. Both for the employees and myself. I despise Best Buy and HHGregg because of their poor customer support policies, so I always steer people to Circuit City. I guess it's Radio Shack now? We don't have a Fry's around my home, but for folks in the bigger metro areas that's a good option too.
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

Circuit City was the state of the art at electronic sales in the 80's. The CCX store format (small store front) was better then the super store format that it eventually grew into. In the day a salesman could make 25-75 thousand dollars per year in commissions. The bad news is 3% of sales would have to be in the form of service contracts. This policy created some of the pressures and displeasures customers felt when shopping a the City.

At Circuit City's prime it was lead by a good friend and visionary Rich Sharp. Mr. Sharp served in various positions with Circuit City Stores, Inc., a consumer electronics and personal computer retailer, most recently as President from 1984 to 1997, Chief Executive Officer from 1986 to 2000 and Chairman of the Board from 1994 to 2002. Mr. Sharp served as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of CarMax, Inc., the nation's largest specialty retailer of used cars and light trucks, from 1994 to 2000 and Chairman from October 2002 to June 2007. He is also a director of Flextronics.

After Rich Sharps departure the company changed its direction about sales commissioned staff. In a bold move they fired nearly all their sales force and replace them with less expense hourly employees (http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/b...29circuit.html). Customer service, and sales took a major hit. Best Buy was another major contributer to the fall of the City. BB opened and gave the City a run for there money and grabbed a large market share. They offered higher salaries to there management staff and attracted some of the best and brightest from the City. In the first couple of years, Best Buy offered credit to just about anyone that had a score over 550. This strategy almost caused the failure of BB in the second year of sales.

Best buy was not the City's only competition. Walmart, Amazon.com,Incredible Universe, Costco, Sam's Club, Tweeter,Macy's and other were looking for a piece of the pie. The City grew to quickly with large and expensive property leases. No one needed the titanic of electronic retailers anymore and it was difficult to re-invent the wheel.

Here are a few more facts that some of the Commonwealth of Virginia boys might appreciate. The City was headquartered in Richmond VA and distribution center on the east cost was in Ashland VA.

RICHARD L. SHARP, Richmond
    Who could have guessed that footwear would be the next big thing for this proven retail executive? Sharp, former chairman for Circuit City Stores Inc. and current chairman of CarMax Inc. — the country's largest used-car retailer — has embarked on a new challenge. He's chairman of Crocs Inc., a manufacturer and marketer of a soon-to-be-patented line of footwear that softens with body heat, molding to the wearer's foot. The slip-resistant shoes are growing in popularity in sports and mainstream fashion. In fact, the Connecticut-based company recently announced a three-year deal as the title sponsor and official footwear for the AVP Pro Beach Volleyball Tour. A public company listed on the NASDAQ (CROX), Crocs had sales of $108.6 million for fiscal 2005, an increase of 704 percent in one year, and 260 employees. It operates manufacturing facilities in China, Mexico, Italy and Canada and distributes through retailers, such as Dillard's, Nordstrom and The Sports Authority. Sharp directly owns 592,695 shares of the company's stock valued at about $14.7 million. He also owns stock in CarMax. Sharp chairs the U.Va. Health Foundation.
    Last edited by merc; 01-17-2009 at 09:57 AM.

James Brown #140 "Say It Loud" Except in Bristol
    Merc's Garage
    MagnaFuel ProTuner Series 750 MP-1403
    Stainless Steel Works full exhaust
    SCT Advantage III Ford Pro Racer Software
    600.59 rwhp 559.91 Torque @ 20 lbs Boost
    2.3 Whipple Intercooled Supercharger
    BC Automotive Stage4 transmission
    03 Terminator built by Chris Vining

Quote Originally Posted by merc View Post
    Circuit City was the state of the art at electronic sales in the 80's. The CCX store format (small store front) was better then the super store format that it eventually grew into. In the day a salesman could make 25-75 thousand dollars per year in commissions. The bad news is 3% of sales would have to be in the form of service contracts. This policy created some of the pressures and displeasures customers felt when shopping a the City.

At Circuit City's prime it was lead by a good friend and visionary Rich Sharp.
    Mr. Sharp served in various positions with Circuit City Stores, Inc., a consumer electronics and personal computer retailer, most recently as President from 1984 to 1997, Chief Executive Officer from 1986 to 2000 and Chairman of the Board from 1994 to 2002. Mr. Sharp served as Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of CarMax, Inc., the nation's largest specialty retailer of used cars and light trucks, from 1994 to 2000 and Chairman from October 2002 to June 2007. He is also a director of Flextronics.

After Rich Sharps departure the company changed its direction about sales commissioned staff. In a bold move they fired nearly all their sales force and replace them with less expense hourly employees. Customer service, and sales took a major hit. Best Buy was another major contributer to the fall of the City. BB opened and gave the City a run for there money and grabbed a large market share. They offered higher salaries to there management staff and attracted some of the best and brightest from the City. In the first couple of years, Best Buy offered credit to just about anyone that had a score over 550. This strategy almost caused the failure of BB in the second year of sales.

Best buy was not the City's only competition. Walmart, Amazon.com,Incredible Universe, Costco, Sam's Club, Tweeter,Macy's and other were looking for a piece of the pie. The City grew to quickly with large and expensive property leases. No one needed the titanic of electronic retailers anymore and it was difficult to re-invent the wheel.

Here are a few more facts that some of the Common Wealth of Virginia boy might appreciate. The City was headquartered in Richmond VA and distribution center on the east cost was in Ashland VA.

RICHARD L. SHARP, Richmond

Who could have guessed that footwear would be the next big thing for this proven retail executive? Sharp, former chairman for Circuit City Stores Inc. and current chairman of CarMax Inc. — the country's largest used-car retailer — has embarked on a new challenge. He's chairman of Crocs Inc., a manufacturer and marketer of a soon-to-be-patented line of footwear that softens with body heat, molding to the wearer's foot. The slip-resistant shoes are growing in popularity in sports and mainstream fashion. In fact, the Connecticut-based company recently announced a three-year deal as the title sponsor and official footwear for the AVP Pro Beach Volleyball Tour. A public company listed on the NASDAQ (CROX), Crocs had sales of $108.6 million for fiscal 2005, an increase of 704 percent in one year, and 260 employees. It operates manufacturing facilities in China, Mexico, Italy and Canada and distributes through retailers, such as Dillard's, Nordstrom and The Sports Authority. Sharp directly owns 592,695 shares of the company's stock valued at about $14.7 million. He also owns stock in CarMax. Sharp chairs the U.Va. Health Foundation.
    Mark, thanks for the insight. As you probably remember, Incredible Universe's trial in PW County didn't last very long. Back in the early to mid-90's, they opened a huge store that lasted less than one year. General Dynamics took over the building for the USMC AAAV program. Lots of people visited Incredible Universe, tried out the merchandise, and then went and bought it at another store like Best Buy or Circuit City for a better price. I didn't think of BJ's, CostCo and Sam's as a competitor ... but you are right. Lots of good deals at those locations.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Quote Originally Posted by Bluerauder View Post
    Mark, thanks for the insight. As you probably remember, Incredible Universe's trial in PW County didn't last very long. Back in the early to mid-90's, they opened a huge store that lasted less than one year. General Dynamics took over the building for the USMC AAAV program. Lots of people visited Incredible Universe, tried out the merchandise, and then went and bought it at another store like Best Buy or Circuit City for a better price. I didn't think of BJ's, CostCo and Sam's as a competitor ... but you are right. Lots of good deals at those locations.
    Circuit City stood alone as a giant in the 80's. The first VHS VCR was produced by JVC. The HR-3300 introduced in the fall of 1977 featured a 2 hour recording time. The City found a niche market, the sale of VCR's drove TV sales, that's how it all began. Now the market is flooded with internet and store front electronic sells. Although Best Buy is enjoying a brief surge in sales it's days are numbered. Incredible Universe was owned by Radio Shack (Tandy Corp), and so was Computer City.
    Last edited by merc; 01-18-2009 at 10:12 AM.

James Brown #140 "Say It Loud" Except in Bristol
    Merc's Garage
    MagnaFuel ProTuner Series 750 MP-1403
    Stainless Steel Works full exhaust
    SCT Advantage III Ford Pro Racer Software
    600.59 rwhp 559.91 Torque @ 20 lbs Boost
    2.3 Whipple Intercooled Supercharger
    BC Automotive Stage4 transmission
    03 Terminator built by Chris Vining

You can get a 48" SONY LCD 1080p tv at WalMart for $1400. Nobody can compete with that.
    2005 Dodge 1500 Hemi Quadcab
    2020 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

You're young with many opportunities ahead of you!
    "Damned if I do, damned if I don't!"
    Member #8831

MERIDEATH aka "Purrrty Mean" was born on June 20, 2002.
    Production #1685 of 7,838 and is #1685 of 7093 Black Beasts.
    Delivered July 27th 2002, she revealed herself.
    Unable to be tamed by her 1st owner, she was left to roam about & raid in search of plunder.
    Through the pillage she became mine on January 23, 2008 and since then...
    "She's tryin' to make a Devil out of me!"
    -"TaKe 'Em D0wN!" TRILOGY TwinScrew #209 / TS0019-

Sorry to hear this Ryan, but i bet you will still ware your CC shirt to all the meets!
    SOLD 12/31/2021

Cobra short block / ProCharger F1-A / Cog drive upgrade / Manley valves / Brian Tooley Racing valve springs / 80# inj. / -8 fuel line / -6 return / Aeromotive 340 pumps and regulator / 2012 GT500 TR6060 six speed / twin disc clutch / Driveshaft Shop GT500 upgraded CV joint shaft / BA5000 blow thru MAF/ 4.10's / Ford Racing 31 spline set up and Girdle / Metco D.S. safety loop / Stainless Works headers, cats, and everything else out back / ClassGlass hood / Bob's hood strut mod / Hurst line lock / Metco control arms / Addco front and rear sway bars / Monroe severe duty shocks all around / Race concepts rotors / Badgeless grille / 35% tint / FBM's interior LED kit and ambient lighting kit / Pioneer FB700 deck / kenwood speaker 4 Ch. / Rockford Fosgate 10" sub and amp / Kicker 6 X 8's all around / back up cam / bluetooth / Pioneer Xm / 704 RWHP 603 RWTQ tuned by Mo's Speedshop.

Best of luck, what a ty deal.

~But, it makes it a lot easier when he is manscaped.~ Haggis
    ~Cool, I can have one of those strangulation orgasms without the strangle.
    WIN WIN!~ Zack
    ~Who needs to stop? I just wanna gooooooooooo ~ -Matt-

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
    You can get a 48" SONY LCD 1080p tv at WalMart for $1400. Nobody can compete with that.
    Sounds like a crappy tv.

And sorry Ryan, if theres a spot at my place, i'll let you know to apply and give my name.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'04 Marauder #357 of 3213 - Built and Eaton swapped - "MERCD"
    '21 F150 XLT 5.0 Sport
    '18 Chevy Malibu Redline
    '15 Mustang GT, performance package
    '01 BMW 740i M-Sport, manual swapped
    '97 Lincoln Town Car (black on black)
    '10 Harley Ultra Limited
    '08 Kawasaki ZX6R
    '03 Grand Marquis(sold)

Hamero, that means the world to me, honestly. Give me a text. I am a great worker and am 100% serious on the clock. Id hate workin for the big blue box, but that store isnt that bad. Ill stop in and see ya one of these days. Ill be workin for the liquidator the next few weeks i found out today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information