Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boost Gauge or No Boost Gauge

Boost Gauge or No Boost Gauge

As some of you know... I recently installed a Vortech SuperCharger (very fun, by the way ) I have now come to a delima.

I am trying to decide if I should install a Boost Gauge. Is it really necessary? What will it actually tell me (other than the obvious)? It's not like I can stare at it all the time, so....would it just be eye candy?

Everyone's thoughts and opinions on this topic are whole-heartedly appreciated

KillJoy

I have the boost gauge in the location where my ciggerette lighter was located on my stock MM. Now there are three guages across there.
    It looks good and is functional. Yes it tells you the obvious but I have also had to look at the gauge many times as a dianogistic. Just to double check Im getting full boost. This is handy after a belt snaps or gets replaced.

Got Boost?

...Get gauge!
    Saorsa gu Brath
    (Freedon Forever)

Si vis pacem para bellum
    (If you want peace, prepare for war)

Μολὼν λαβέ
    (Come and take them)

Stann saam of sterf allen
    (Stand together or die alone)

Audentis Fortuna Iuvat
    (Fortune Favors the Brave)

Antes morrer livres que em paz sujeitos
    (Rather die as free men than be enslaved in peace)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants alike. It is the tree's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution guarantees our rights as American citizens, the 2nd Amendment protects those rights

"THE BLACK BOMBER"

Boost/Vacuum gauges do have some value in daily driving and troubleshooting. But, when into your boost, you won't be watching any gauge. More important things to stare at...Like what's up ahead and how fast it's getting closer, eh?

Got a ScanGauge? Set it to MAP..."Manifold Absolute Pressure". It's your boost in PSI. Factory sensor tops out at 18 PSI, but it works.

I agree w/Loco. Although the vacuum/boost gauge is bling for day-to-day ordinary driving, it can also be useful as a troubleshooting tool. I believe that more information is better than less. They're not big bux ($55 from Jeg's) and they're not difficult to install.

*EDIT* Dammit, Mac and Haggis are always beating me to it...I've got to get faster fingers...
    Last edited by RF Overlord; 08-14-2006 at 10:30 AM.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Get the guage. End of story.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

Okay..... I guess I'll put the sucker in

I already have one (-30 to 20). I was jsut trying to decide on if was worth it or not. I had one in a Turbo AWD Talon I once owned, mounted on the Pillar. I just don't remember doing anything w/ it, other than the "cool" factor.

Now to decide where to put it.....

KillJoy

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    Boost/Vacuum gauges do have some value in daily driving and troubleshooting. But, when into your boost, you won't be watching any gauge. More important things to stare at...Like what's up ahead and how fast it's getting closer, eh?

Got a ScanGauge? Set it to MAP..."Manifold Absolute Pressure". It's your boost in PSI. Factory sensor tops out at 18 PSI, but it works.
    I have a Q about that Mac... mine is always reading boost... even when in Vac... what's up with that. My analog gauge reads vac and boost just fine

11.90 @ 117.5mph on 93 octane
    324 shortblock, Novi 2000, Now with optional axle removing tires
    Igziabeher

Quote Originally Posted by RR|Suki
    I have a Q about that Mac... mine is always reading boost... even when in Vac... what's up with that. My analog gauge reads vac and boost just fine
    ScanGuage is really reading "manifold absolute pressure, and just pressure. If the engine is running there is at least 4-6 PSI of pressure inside the manifold at idle, whether it was sucked in, or, blown in. Vacuum is another function of that, but if you want to know your manifold pressure at WOT, this is the gadget that can do that.

If your worried about not being able to read your gauge while in boost mode.
    Get one the size of a large alarm clock and mount it either to the right or left
    of the steering wheel right up on the top of the dash. May not look cosmetic
    pretty but it will be functional.
    sleeper

Interesting question......I have a boost gauge. Mounted in the center console. If I had it to do all over I would do the following;(bear in mind, I like the factory look, not wanting to attract attention)

Three gauges in the center console

oil pressure
    tranny temp
    oil temp (or some other temp)

Yeah the boost gauge is nice, it moves around alot. But I better not be watching it 5+ psi

I think the other gauges would provide more useful information to give an indication is something is about to go BLAM.

If you decide to use the A-pillar then you have many more options.

My two cents based upon my driving habits and road course experience.

jeremy

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord
    I've got to get faster fingers...
    That's what Mary tells us.
    Saorsa gu Brath
    (Freedon Forever)

Si vis pacem para bellum
    (If you want peace, prepare for war)

Μολὼν λαβέ
    (Come and take them)

Stann saam of sterf allen
    (Stand together or die alone)

Audentis Fortuna Iuvat
    (Fortune Favors the Brave)

Antes morrer livres que em paz sujeitos
    (Rather die as free men than be enslaved in peace)

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants alike. It is the tree's natural manure." -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

The Constitution guarantees our rights as American citizens, the 2nd Amendment protects those rights

"THE BLACK BOMBER"

it is also a great tool for monitoring blower belt slip!!!
    former owner...2003 marauder black

vortech air/air reichard 3.4 pulley
    dr exhaust w/ mac stainless mufflers
    baer 14in brakes, stainless hoses
    4.30's
    31spline mosers, auburn pro, tfs girdle
    dynotech shaft
    305 nittos

sold!

We already know the "obvious" function, engine vacuum can be used as a diagnostic tool. I also use it to get the best MPG possible on long highway trips.

If I am cruising at 78 mph and maintain 14 inches of vaccuum I know I will get great gas mileage, the closer it gets to zero the worse my mpg.
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

I actually don't have one, and I like it that way, really stealth. though a gauge next to the oil pressure gauge would still be stealth.
    Steven

2004 Marauder Black, loaded
    Vortec S/C
    4.10s
    3500 PI Stall
    Kook's headers
    476.9 rwhp 385 lbs/tq
    KVR's, QA1's, M&Z control arms, rear sway bar
    Lidio tune
    2004 Suburban Dark Charcoal
    1970 W-30 442 convertible twilight Blue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast